Opening up Thailand: More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back - despite 14 day quarantine, poll

webfact

1 hour ago, Dice Man said:

My relatives in New Zealand and Australia say that thousands of THAIS overstay their Tourist Visas in a very bad way.    Also South Korea has major problems with over 10,000 Thai overstaying people.  Its not just us ALIENS     !!                                                                                                                 

In Thailand it is. Luckily I am posting in a Thailand Forum, right?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I must say that they are quite clever. Of course they do not want arrogant "I have money and own the world foreigners", and the virus have given them the tool to say that in another way. Not saying that all foreigners that comes to Thailand are this way, but unfortunately a great amount behaves with a very bad attitude. I do believe that´s a big part of many Thais way of looking at foreigners coming back to Thailand or not.

Hello Matzzon, you said, "Not saying that all foreigners that comes to Thailand are this way, but unfortunately a great amount behaves with a very bad attitude".

I would say only a small number behave badly not like you said a great amount. Do Farangs know that just their body size alone is intimidating? Imagine some one taller than you stare down at you and when he raises his voice he could be very frightening.

On the top of that the language barrier compounds the problem. So if you have problems you start to talk loudly it could very easily be misinterpret as a threat when no threat is intended.

I believe there in lies the problems that Thais may think you are intimidating. I believe the Thais also think that: "This is my country you behave well no matter what or else we will teach you a lesson". Of course not all think like that, especially educated Thais wouldn't think like that but the rough character and badly educated ones will think like that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I must say that they are quite clever. Of course they do not want arrogant "I have money and own the world foreigners", and the virus have given them the tool to say that in another way. Not saying that all foreigners that comes to Thailand are this way, but unfWeortunately a great amount behaves with a very bad attitude. I do believe that´s a big part of many Thais way of looking at foreigners coming back to Thailand or not.

If you are talking about Farangs you are well wide of the mark , a few idiots for sure but leave no lasting impression on the country.

Any Thai with half a brain knows that it their arrogant , mega wealthy own countrymen that utterly control them.

Frankly its a bit late for the Thais to be xenophobic , they are already in a Sino Thai stranglehold and its just a matter of time before Beijing calls all the shots.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, poloshirt said:

Do Farangs know that just their body size alone is intimidating? Imagine some one taller than you stare down at you and when he raises his voice he could be very frightening.

On the top of that the language barrier compounds the problem. So if you have problems you start to talk loudly it could very easily be misinterpret as a threat when no threat is intended.

I believe there in lies the problems that Thais may think you are intimidating.

Ok, but that´s what I am posting. To not know the way of living, how people see things and what they react to in a foreign country is also a part of behaving badly. I consider not knowing how to behave is same like behaving badly. That because you had your chance to do your research before you settled down. So, just do not be intimidating then. Like a big person with a smile on his face as well as not raising his voice when speaking, would not be considered intimidating at all.

• Like 2

The feeling is mutual, there's no loss when you move out of Thailand, better quality of life outside Thailand.  Much nicer countries without the racism, high prices, dual pricing, world's worst air pollution, water pollution, destruction of their environment, reefs & fish, very high cancer rate & #1 road deaths.  Good luck with your Chinese tourists, Chevrolet left, Nike moved to Vietnam, watch other companies will be leaving Thailand also.    

• Like 2

All these Thais asked can't speak English. Have no passport and have never been to multi culture country in fear of learning about the real world other than a stupid gold shop. Also they were all selected carefully if there was any poll at all. And the doctor is another racist muppet.

• Confused 1

Thai gov are getting big heat to open. So they are producing this <deleted> to trick people. And all these so called doctors poppping up. Nobody cares about your racist uneducated views. And nobody believed Thai coupsters COVID numbers.

Ridiculous survey. Those more than half are probably rich enough to do a survey whereas those other half are too depressed to do silly surveys.

Of course, they want tourists back for their earnings.

With so many strict rules, it's silly not to let tourists back in.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

No, I meant all foreigners that comes to Thailand and act like they own the world. Having reading disorder?

@Matzzon yes i know you meant that and what i was saying is all people with money are like that, thais as well. money makes people arrogant. 

Edited by paulikens
  • Like 2

Don't know what the Thais will do if its found to be that the virus will be here forever which could well happen and there's no vaccine,and we just gotta live with it. they gonna be shut to the rest of the world forever?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

More than half didn’t want foreigners here in the first place 

They must be the Thais not working in the hospitality trade ...555

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Exactly.

What is the difference between a poll and a survey? A poll is used to ask one simple question while a survey is generally used to ask a wide range of multiple questions. A poll allows you to ask one multiple choice question.  Participants can choose from among answers that you predefine.  Looks like the survey was a loaded pre-planned survey with prior popular views known or expected as results.

Moreover, without having seen the actual questionnaire, it seems very heavily biased, no control questions, and possibly leading questions.
Also, it is not clear to me how the survey distinguishes between short-term "tourist" visitors, those on temporary or long term residence, and longer term visitors from neighbouring countries employed in various sectors.

• Like 2

Everyone would prefer not to have foreigners at home, especially a nationalist people like Thais, and this regardless of the virus. Therefore the purpose of these surveys is not clear, apparently they have nothing better to do. However, compared to the previous poll, it appears that opponents to the arrival of foreigners have decreased which means that someone is beginning to understand. So let's take it as good news

• Like 2

13 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I don't know about that. Those Issan gals with many foreigner boyfriends and husband support a lot of family members that probably is more than half of the country.

i agree with your first sentence. Yes, you dont know. after that first sentence i have to say its a narrowminded view of somebody who visits beerbars too much and chats with the local hookers, (and probably hangs out too much on TV) and misstakenly holds the opinion that he knows about Thailand and Thai people.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect that the half that don't want foreigners to return are the portion of Thais that have government jobs!  Of course, they will never lay off the excess Immigration staff that have nothing to do anymore!  Those that rely on the brown envelopes will also have nothing to do.

The rest of the Thais do not matter anyway!  That is why Thaksin was so popular!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

Unlike many other countries around the world who were infected with the pandemic and their economy is about to implode on itself and ruien 100' of millions of lives, Thai people, who has deep seated dislike and disdain towards all foreigners anyway, can survive on a very little money and are happy to eat rice and som tam and sleep on the floor and consume very little in a way of necessities and comfort, so no new news there... 

Thais have a deep seated dislike for foreigners???

I used to live in Thailand for 10 years and I felt very welcome wherever I went and I’ve never made that experience! Having said that, I’ve never lived in any of the tourist areas. What I did notice was that the Thais who are exposed to tourists on a daily basis are less friendly. I wonder why that is?! Must be Karen and her husband bitching and complaining all day long! 

16 hours ago, djayz said:

How can they get those tourist dollars if they won't/don't want to let 'em back in again? 

Maybe just transfer to a bank account here but stay at home in Faranistang? 

It's looking more and more likely that it'll take a few years before people start travelling again. What with the loss of jobs, travel restrictions, spending 2 weeks of your holidays holed up in quarantine, etc., not many people can afford or want to travel. 

you made a point here, I know people that bought their tickets to Thailand almost 6 months ago, they are not coming. most tourist come to spend from 1 week to 3 weeks, with 14 days in quarantine, who would be so retarded to come? 

tourism is dead in Thailand and will keep that way until regulations change again. Anyway Thailand is an industrial country, tourism is not the priority here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I must say that they are quite clever. Of course they do not want arrogant "I have money and own the world foreigners", and the virus have given them the tool to say that in another way. Not saying that all foreigners that comes to Thailand are this way, but unfortunately a great amount behaves with a very bad attitude. I do believe that´s a big part of many Thais way of looking at foreigners coming back to Thailand or not.

Maybe. Their cousins from China are amongst the worst offenders. In China, just like in Thailand, money buys you the right to do almost anything you want. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

They need to realise it was the freakin Chinese that this virus was born let the country sink !!!!

• Thanks 2