Opening up Thailand: More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back - despite 14 day quarantine, poll

webfact

12 hours ago, lavezzi said:

I dont think that 15% GDP corresponds to 15% of polulation income.

It just might be close! Total tourism is valued at 19% of GDP and employes 5.9 mill. people, that's 17% of the labour force (35 million). There's no reason to believe that people employed in Tourism earn on average any less than people employed in most other sectors.

• Like 1

But more expressed caution fearing that foreigners would bring a second wave with them.“
Given that the alleged “first wave” only killed 58, which is less than a day’s mayhem on the roads, I think they’re getting things a bit out of proportion.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

i agree with your first sentence. Yes, you dont know. after that first sentence i have to say its a narrowminded view of somebody who visits beerbars too much and chats with the local hookers, (and probably hangs out too much on TV) and misstakenly holds the opinion that he knows about Thailand and Thai people.

Sorry herwin. Been here almost nearing 30 years now and only go out to a bar or for drinks when a friend or business associates visit Thailand, which is perhaps 3 - 4 different times in a year. I have a Thai family. My kids, and they are my kids with my Thai wife are 25, 19 and 17. I actually speak Thai pretty fluently and do not hang around foreigners nor do I live around foreigners in my bought and paid for house. I read and post on TV to break up the monotony of my daily international dealings. Get it? I also interact with Thai every single day on many levels. Get it? I think you need to pipe down before you open your keyboard mouth back to me, because in the first place my statement was more in jest than anything else. Get it?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, lensta said:

How do you get a headline like this " More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back" from a survey of 1251 people. This is just stupid. Last time I checked there were about 70 million Thais in Thailand and 1251 people area true representation of the entire population or maybe I was wrong and the entire Thai population is 1251. TV, you really need to get some journalistic integrity and not publish this rubbish 

I wonder what the results would be if they asked Thais living in Pattaya or Samui or Chiang Mai the same questions?

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Went to big C ...... "Member Mai?", ...... "Mai mee"

Thai son, "30bht for school dad", Thai daughter "700bht for university dad"

See, I'm also fluent in Thai and can interact on many levels as well.

It's odd that all those different levels all seem to involve me handing them money.

Dealing interactions with Thai professionally 6 days a week internationally related and otherwise unprofessionally 7 days a week. Most English speaking is on this forum writing and actually Thai is mostly spoken around my house so there is no false tooting my horn as is just reality in my life. Thank you!

On 7/13/2020 at 4:25 AM, spiekerjozef said:

And they are so right about it.

Most countries who have now a second wave opened up way too soon...

Cv cases are as good as the number of tests conducted.

some countries have done just too few and those statistics can’t be used as a representative sample

8 hours ago, Mulambana said:

Young girls dotting bars and go go bars with a desire to find an old, loser coming from the bottom of the society in their own countries as a husband do want foreigners to come. Their families also want foreigners to come. People who get their incomes from bride and orgy seekers want foreigners to come. People whose incomes don't depend on foreigners, directly or indirectly, don't want foreigners to come. This poll suggests that half of the population does not depend on the foreigners. Thailand's goal in the age of "new normal" is to accelerate the non-dependency to more than 75% before it can shun off all foreigners. 

do not make laugh, Thailand is foreigner owned since long ago, tell me how they are going to do that?

• Like 1

I think their response is totally understandable. Personally I think governments around the world over/incorrectly reacted to the virus, but it is a repeat of that reaction that they are afraid of. They are putting the massive cost and discomfort of another lockdown, over the money that tourism will bring. Hopefully this is an opportunity for Thailand to move away from their over-dependence on tourism; especially budget tourism. I am pretty certain this is how the majority of people worldwide feel.

15 hours ago, Alex 012 said:

The feeling is mutual.  This dirty Farang will spend his money in other countries.

Gathering storm in Australia, are no international flights, bar to NZ, till at least July 2021.

Let's see how real things get in The Land of Scams when the real GDP of tourism is 40% plus.

Those who voted against Farangs , are likely to be Government Muppets , same same UK .

It's  the lower class Thais in the hospitality trade , will suffer and starve .

Who cares .  Welcome to Thailand ...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A512 said:

do not make laugh, Thailand is foreigner owned since long ago, tell me how they are going to do that?

Foreign owned, what is it you think in Thailand is foreign owned?

Foreigners cannot own more than 49% of any Thai company and they cannot own more than 49% of units in a condominium building, they certainly can't own land. Even government debt is 96% Thai owned, less than 4% is owned by foreigners.   

• Confused 3

An interesting list showing countries that are reliant on (domestic and international) tourism. Thailand comes in at number 33 on the list but is noticeable, along with the PI, for the high number of people employed in the sector. The list says 8.1 million people which is 2 million higher than any other source of these numbers I have seen before. It also shows travel and tourism representing 21% of all jobs which is also 3% higher than any other numbers I've seen before - it looks as though the site gets its statistics from the news channels hence they are not completely accurate but rather are indicative.

Interesting also to see the second list further down the page which shows the potential loss to GDP from Tourism of the 20 largest economies, 10%/15% is the norm for the top 10 countries.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/countries-reliant-tourism/

• Confused 1

On 7/14/2020 at 3:41 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

Look, we've been locked down since mid-March. If we allow in foreigners and open land borders, all the months we've spent sheltering-in-place (and we still are!) will have been a wet fart! I'm sorry, folks, I don't want you back either until the world gets this sorted and there's some hard science with answers. (Oh, and Yank idjits start to mask!)

You think it isnt already all over Thailand Cambodia, Laos and the region because its sooooo ahead of the rest of the globe ?? bwwaaahahahaha 

• Like 2

Would tourist really care if they went to thailand why should they care with all the rules the hoop jumping the requirements the 14 quarantine on a island what they say u must stay and paying for over price hotel if u pay 3000 baht per night at work out for 14 days at a cost of 42 baht plus what they charge u for the 2 test and the cost getting to the island plus your food plus flight so u are look at nearly £2000 plus. to be a prisoner on a island farang got a choice where they go thais havent the choice to tell farang we will decide at by the time thai open up tourist will already decide where there destination will be and without rules and requirements thais staying at they dont went foriegnors wait another 6 months and let see the suffering in thailand because foriegnors will not be suffering like Thais and at us a 100 %    guarantee we can still sit on a beach in another country and forget about how worrys will thais be able to forget there worrys 

On 7/13/2020 at 9:10 AM, webfact said:

More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back - despite 14 day quarantine

Good idea, not the time to take any chances yet, there are other strains of this virus found. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Sad 1