Opening up Thailand: More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back - despite 14 day quarantine, poll

webfact

Who really cares if foreigners come back or not? Do the Thais really care ? Do the General Cares? If anybody cares about this country called Thailand it wouldn't be where it is today. Does that makes sense to you?

Do the average Thais especially those farmers in the countryside say, " Oh, we so worried if you lot don't come back, please come back".  Nobody, that means nobody cares a damn about this country.

Here's the real picture, the Hi-so , police, politicians all just make sure they get their cuts and If you asked any of these Hi-so or politicians whether they are worried that foreigners are not coming back to Thailand they would be kind of surprised that you should asked them such a question. Because they know that the young women, the beer, the cheap foods, the sunshine all year round are such an attraction how could anyone resist. They are more worried about their bank balance and the stock market. They have put in place everything to attract these foreigners to come to spend their money in Thailand.

The average Thais slough their guts out for peanuts- do they really think about foreigners coming to Thailand? How much do they get paid? I am talking about the working class here, and they make up a large percentage of the population.

The average Thais says, foreigners are welcome to enjoy their holidays in Thailand. Karp, karp, sawadee karp. See they are so polite, how could you not like their hospitality? They don't really see the economic picture of the country - this is where the problem lies. If you are addressing them on this issue they are not so interested because they more worried their daughter school fees to pay, money for their vehicle petrol and so on, whether foreigner coming back or not is not in the picture really.

The truth is nobody really concerned or worried if foreigners not coming back to Thailand.

Let's put it this way, the people who are supposed to be concerned are not concerned at all.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, schvonsky1 said:

They need to realise it was the freakin Chinese that this virus was born let the country sink !!!!

Sure, but the reality is that the virus is now spread all over the world. To let one country sink, will not rid the world from the virus. Neither will it rid the world from people with bad behaviour and own the world hubris.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Maybe. Their cousins from China are amongst the worst offenders. In China, just like in Thailand, money buys you the right to do almost anything you want. 

I am not saying that the behaviour of chinese people is of high standards and good reputation. It must feel good for you to shift the focus from overall foreigners to a specific country that seem more distanced from your own world, though.

Unless a foreigner has ties with Thailand or some specific reason I don't see why anyone would want to go there. Who knows, they might have a knee jerk reaction and suddenly close everything down for two months or something similar. The place is not attractive at all for a normal tourist. The paranoia that Thais have about corona reminds me something about their pride of never being colonized.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No, you didn´t get what I meant. I posted that foreigners comes to Thailand and act like they own the world. Most of them actually do not have 10% of the wealth I have, and I do not consider myself having much money. What I meant is basically that there are far too many ar5e5 that comes from outside, even that post in this forum, that consider themself above the people in this country. Actually It has very little to do with the amount of money, and I sincerely do hate people like that. Money or not.

Says the man who was trying to make fun of man who eats at Big C restaurants, please get over yourself.

• Thanks 1

The feeling is mutual.  This dirty Farang will spend his money in other countries.

Gathering storm in Australia, are no international flights, bar to NZ, till at least July 2021.

Let's see how real things get in The Land of Scams when the real GDP of tourism is 40% plus.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I am not saying that the behaviour of chinese people is of high standards and good reputation. It must feel good for you to shift the focus from overall foreigners to a specific country that seem more distanced from your own world, though.

You were implying that western tourists were problematic but somehow you failed to imply the Chinese tourists which is the single largest category. That must feel good? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alex 012 said:

The feeling is mutual.  This dirty Farang will spend his money in other countries.

Gathering storm in Australia, are no international flights, bar to NZ, till at least July 2021.

Let's see how real things get in The Land of Scams when the real GDP of tourism is 40% plus.

The whole economy will fall apart here. And, in time, the Thais will be begging Farangs to come back. The Chinese won't be back anytime soon as their economy if theft is destroyed. The hiso Thais will hate it but that will not stop them from begging. 

• Haha 1

There's a tipping point.  When more factories move to Vietnam, when factories still here layoff more workers because of lack of orders, when the tourists don't rush back....the average Thai may start asking the right questions of this current government.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

You were implying that western tourists were problematic but somehow you failed to imply the Chinese tourists which is the single largest category. That must feel good? 

Why do you say that I was implying that only western tourists were problematic? That´s really deluded! Do I have to specify Chinese tourists in detail for you? Are they not foreigners, when visiting Thailand? If I were you, I would really look up the meaning of the word foreigner. 

What I think is that the problem came to close to your own doorstep, and you just needed a lame excuse to push it away. You failed miserable. 

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Says the man who was trying to make fun of man who eats at Big C restaurants, please get over yourself.

Really? Was that the best you could do? Yep, it´s easy to make fun out of a person that actually in plain language asks if it´s possible to eat at a restaurant.

Now you made fun of yourself as well, by bringing it up in a totally different topic. You couldn´t be more irrelevant, could you?

10 hours ago, tomauasia said:

All these Thais asked can't speak English. Have no passport and have never been to multi culture country in fear of learning about the real world other than a stupid gold shop. Also they were all selected carefully if there was any poll at all. And the doctor is another racist muppet.

The number of Thai people travelling overseas in recent years has soared to over 16% of the population, over half the population now have passports.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KKr said:

Moreover, without having seen the actual questionnaire, it seems very heavily biased, no control questions, and possibly leading questions.
Also, it is not clear to me how the survey distinguishes between short-term "tourist" visitors, those on temporary or long term residence, and longer term visitors from neighbouring countries employed in various sectors.

How can you say there were no control questions or that there were leading questions, you said you haven't seen the survey!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Really? Was that the best you could do? Yep, it´s easy to make fun out of a person that actually in plain language asks if it´s possible to eat at a restaurant.

Now you made fun of yourself as well, by bringing it up in a totally different topic. You couldn´t be more irrelevant, could you?

Please tell me again how much money you have again....please. Just making fun of you telling us you have more money than most farang.

34 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Please tell me again how much money you have again....please. Just making fun of you telling us you have more money than most farang.

Just stating the facts. Why do you have a problem with that. Yellous?

• Haha 2

If the Thais would just open there eyes and look around how many businesses have there roller shutters down or signs out the front for rent.

Unfortunately they cannot see the Forrest for the trees.

Lets see what they say in 6 months time, they will be begging the Government to open the doors to Tourism.

7 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

More than half would want foreigners banned even if there was no Covid 19 

I think after Anutin's reckless statement and disdain for "dirty foreigners", many Thais are now biased against foreigners. Not all Thais but definitely many more than ever before are suspicious of foreigners. Will this ever revert back to pre Covid-19 attitudes? What if Covid-19 never goes away?

• Like 1

If I were Thai, I would not want even my people living aboard coming back into the country or foreigners until this is 100% curable. What was the world like before airplane and boats? How did they survive on what the country had? Is life not important or is it money? It’s not that they don’t want tourist back, it’s the fact that other countries has not control the pandemic. 

Look around, people are back on the street selling things and food as if nothing has happen. They got money. Give it time and see how it pan out. I know they can sustain without all foreigners for another 6-12 months.

But now is the time for the poor to come together and make the government and rich Thais to give back from all the money they have made off of their backs.

As for the foreigners living here, you need to take care yourself. Sorry to say but stop giving hand outs. They are not giving you any breaks. Take your money out the banks and deposit it back within the timeline to meet the requirements for your renewal. You are not making any interest anyway.  I bet the baht will not stay strong.  Yeah, this is something to think about......

23 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

The ones who have som tam on the floor are not the people hoping for a permanent ban of tourists.

It is the middle class and elites 

Young girls dotting bars and go go bars with a desire to find an old, loser coming from the bottom of the society in their own countries as a husband do want foreigners to come. Their families also want foreigners to come. People who get their incomes from bride and orgy seekers want foreigners to come. People whose incomes don't depend on foreigners, directly or indirectly, don't want foreigners to come. This poll suggests that half of the population does not depend on the foreigners. Thailand's goal in the age of "new normal" is to accelerate the non-dependency to more than 75% before it can shun off all foreigners. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Don't worry, most foreigners will not want to come back, given all the stupid sh.t the governments at all levels are doing. Thailand is no longer the "Land of Smiles", and is now the "Land of Frowns".

You mean Land of Clowns. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, robblok said:

Not so strange, no xenophobia at all. Why would a country that did a good job protecting itself from Covid open up to countries like for instance the US where covid is rampant and hte UK that did a bad job and Inda where its spreading like wildfire. 

I can understand them for not wanting foreigners and then a second lock down. We all seen how some foreigners hate wearing masks and think all of this is stupid. So why import more of those arrogant foreigners who have a high chance of being infected.

If there is 14 days quarantine with tests then yes its xenophobia. However who would trust the government to run these quarantines good if the numbers of people increase. 

Another thing, what's the chances of some people in quarantine giving back handers to leave the hotel? Remember This is Thailand.

• Like 1