Thailand tightens borders over fears of second wave of coronavirus

snoop1130

rgr.PNG

FILE PHOTO - A tourist wearing a protective mask sits on a social distancing seat as she waits for her flight at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International airport amid the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Thailand, June 3, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand ordered security stepped up at its land borders on Monday after concerns surged over a possible second wave of coronavirus infections, following the arrests of thousands of illegal migrants in the past month.

Since the start of June, authorities have arrested 3,000 migrant workers for overland entry attempts, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for Thailand’s task force on the disease.

Taweesin also raised concern about weak regulation for foreign arrivals by air, after two such visitors tested positive, with one breaking quarantine rules.

The government identified a 43-year-old crewman of an Egyptian military plane and a nine-year-old girl in the family of a Sudanese diplomat as the new cases that could potentially trigger a second wave.

“This exposes a weakness, but there is no damage yet if we can control and correct this weakness and issue more thorough regulation,” said Taweesin.

With no locally transmitted case reported for more than six weeks, Thailand’s virus tally since January stands at 3,220 infections and 58 deaths.

Air crew and the families of foreign diplomats are among the few groups of foreigners allowed into the country since March, on condition of spending 14 days in quarantine.

The Egyptian arrived on Wednesday and spent time in the eastern province of Rayong before leaving on Saturday. After a virus test came back positive on Sunday, authorities found he had left the hotel where he was supposed to stay in isolation.

The Sudanese girl was hospitalised on arrival in Thailand, but her family was allowed to self-quarantine in its Bangkok condominium with no official supervision. There were no reports that the family had left the residence.

Although Thailand has partly lifted its entry ban on foreigners, including permanent residents, business travellers and medical tourists, it still bars ordinary tourists and migrant workers.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-13

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

A tourist wearing a protective mask sits on a social distancing seat

how do they know she is a tourist ? she could been a smart business lady off to an important meeting. 

also just curious. who exactly is she supposed to social distance from. i think i see a head at the back of the photo. 2nd or 3rd row from the back far left seat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe we can leave out the second wave and move directly to the third wave?

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3092922/hong-kong-third-wave-public-needs-step-and-keep-coronavirus-bay

In any case, it looks as if we have to move to a new scary summer wave anyway (give it a number as you see fit) as the first wave seems to lose its lethality.

covid-19_us_trends.jpg

• Like 2

Canada has the same problem: travellers are coming in an infecting locally. They are allowing people to self quarantine and imposing a fine if found to be not obeying. But how can you watch everyone? Quarantine needs to be tightly regulated.  People need to book specialty accommodation such as apartments with food delivery.

I believe there are high number of expats who want to come back and stay many months in Thailand who will stay in quarantine. There is no reason why this shouldn't work. This is a an excellent way for Thailand to boast their economy and continue tourism.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

its time to get on with it,as the gentleman above so easily explains things the cases have gone up 120% since april 17 and deaths have gone down 70% since that date,time to remove the diapers and put on the face masks.we were conned and now its time to stop being conned and 90% of deaths are people over 75 with outstanding conditions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andreas2 said:

Maybe we can leave out the second wave and move directly to the third wave?

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3092922/hong-kong-third-wave-public-needs-step-and-keep-coronavirus-bay

In any case, it looks as if we have to move to a new scary summer wave anyway (give it a number as you see fit) as the first wave seems to lose its lethality.

covid-19_us_trends.jpg

The fourth wave is bankruptcy and starvation. Lockdowns and scare tactics serve only the old and retired not the mostly working people. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

She might also just be an employee on her break charging her cell phone....

Or installing a usb plug infected with malware for the incoming chinese with upcoming mama cup promotion.

Hence the look over her shoulder for 5-0

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Raphus said:

It is inevitable. 

Countries that keep saying they have no Coronavirus is like saying jesus was eating in McDonalds yesterday.

It is just not possible with over 13 million people around the world contracting the virus. And over 570,000 deaths. 

Thailand still has corona. They just need to stop being so paranoid and get on with life. Otherwise the country will collapse.

Risks have to be taken now to save economies. If people are not careful enough they will contract it. There are sufficient measures like constantly washing hands. Not touching face. Full face visors. All of these measure will minimize the risk to below 4% of contracting.

I would think that one of the most important measures would be simply to avoid anyone who is coughing. Totally agree with just letting people get on with life ????

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Since the start of June, authorities have arrested 3,000 migrant workers for overland entry attempts, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for Thailand’s task force on the disease.

Don't forget the 16 Chinese who were caught illegally crossing into Thailand in the North of the country, were these the only ones to cross into Thailand, I seem to remember a number of Chinese turning up at one of the islands during the lock-down who had also traveled from the North of Thailand ....................!!!!! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Great,Keep it up Close everything .

Just see what's happening in Hong Kong .   ????

Despite appearing to successfully flatten the curve from April onwards, Hong Kong is now fighting its worst outbreak of the Covid-19 virus since January. The new outbreak is escalating, leading authorities to impose strict restrictions once more. Among those is a ban on eating in restaurants in the evening, with eateries only permitted to offer a takeaway service between the hours of 6.00pm and 5.00am.

I am still waiting that somebody isolates the virus so that any Science about the Virus could start !!!

As long as the virus is NOT isolated [and it was not up to now !] there is no Science and as such it has to be called a HOAX !!!

There is no Science at all about this whole Covid-19 BS !!! All hearsay and stupid comments.

... good thing is that there are Millions of Experts in all forums around the internet now who all repeat what they HEAR

and then pretend they KNOW !!! ... Religion needs believe - Science needs proof !

• Haha 1

At this point the tourism sector will completely collapse because the knee jerk reaction of those idiots in charge, included who's at the top.

I wish it will happen, so that it will fuel huge protests and MAYBE we will be able to see these morons fly to Singapore or Dubai or Germany.

• Like 1

I would like to hear an interview with the staff at the hotel if he was wearing a mask?

Was the soldier told to stay inside his hotel room environment and purposely violated the order or did no one tell him he was supposed to self isolate?

Was the hotel staff aware they had a short term visitor that did not go to quarantine and his virus condition was unknown?

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Jeez major panic in the Thais going on. Thai friend in Hat Yai on the phone early today telling me to be careful because Covid-19 in Bangkok. Now just called me again saying domestic flights were going to be cancelled (I am booked to fly next week). I said calm down but the Thais seem to be freaking out. 

Totally agree, its panic amongst the people i know.  

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

With no locally transmitted case reported for more than six weeks,

if they are doing so well who needs foreigners.... as one of them said not long ago, don't think greedy over healthy