Too-tight virus policy is strangling Thai economy, experts warn

webfact

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I like Cambodia, but there's no VISA's to be had for there.

And I like Vietnam, no VISAs on sale for there either.

Nowhere I want to go is letting any foreigners in at the moment.

But I guess somethings got to change soon, or the natives will become restless, and governments will wobble. 

Not that Serbia is a country to go to, but it is an example for your point: there the government wanted to lockdown again, after alleging a second wave might come otherwise - and the people had enough of the <deleted>, spontaneously stormed the parliament and told the government that there is no more lockdown.

On Tuesday, Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić addressed the nation and announced the re-imposition of a nationwide lockdown, starting on Friday, July 10, and ending on Monday, July 13. As soon as the president concluded his remarks, a seemingly spontaneous protest began taking shape in downtown Belgrade. News of the protest spread through messages on social media, as people sought to voice disapproval of President Vučić’s decision to re-impose a nationwide lockdown.

So your concerns are very valid, the ones which suffer from this lockdown are indeed getting “restless”.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SunsetT said:

If I cannot return to Thailand for the Winter, one of those countries is where I will be going.

You be won't alone as them countries will want that tourist currency that Thailand doesn't want

Edited by Aussie Col
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Bet you 1000thb it doesn't open for tourists while COVID-19 is still a threat.

Thailand may operate so-called travel bubbles but I doubt it will be a pleasant experience for the tourists and the numbers will be insignificant.

My rationale is that this government is authoritarian in nature and cannot afford to have a major outbreak here. We have witnessed the panic that a single case in Rayong caused as the evidence.

In many ways they have become victims of their own success with the virus.

Opening the doors and just throwing caution to the wind to chase the tourist Baht is pure fantasy I'm afraid.

162 posts and finally saw what I expected to see, "victims of their own success"

In the UK things are steadily returning to normal, at the same speed if not a little faster than Thailand, how can this be? Well if there are another 5000 deaths in the UK over the next couple of months it would be accepted by the people as a winding down of the virus situation and bringing it under control.

In Thailand 50 deaths over the next 2 months would be perceived as the virus 'second wave' taking off

Yes indeed "victims of their own success"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Miami007 said:

It is hot enough in most of the USA.. so it can't be the heat which prevented many infections in Thailand. 

Maybe people in SE Asia have some form of immunity against covid due to exposure to similar strains in the past? Otherwise, how does anyone explain the lack of infections in January and February when the country was open to Chinese tourists

Throughout all of 2019 in Bangkok, both me and the gf noticed everyone everywhere coughing.

You just couldnt go anywhere in public without hearing multiple people coughing up a lung.

We actually both got a bad cough and sickness ourselves, and i put it down to pollution,

but the gf said shes had it yearly for at least 10 years.

I believe many Thais have had, and been carrying around something the whole time, whether related or not, to Covid, who knows, but it might be the reason..

or the Covid strain might act differently when it gets to Thais.

The weather/humidity cant have anything much to do with it, as look at the humid conditions in Florida, US.

Not all that different to Thailand?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, drbeach said:

So keep out foreigners forever, but that will also mean no more migrant laborers from these countries who refuse to wear masks because their governments never mandated them. Meaning the Thai economy will collapse.

Seems odd to me that an unemployed hotel receptionist doesn't want foreigners to come to Thailand.

PS

Hardly any Thais wearing masks outside Chiang Mai city centre.

Around my Moobaan ........ ZERO masked Thais.

Around my kids Junior school ...... no teachers and no kids wearing masks.

We just put them on to enter Tesco or 7-11 now.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, annabel said:

And that's just the Quarantine part which by the way the cheapest of the 14 certified hotels starts at 35,000 Baht. Here is a report from 1 lady trying to get her husband back to Thailand. Business Class only for foreigners...!! Plus testing before and at arrival at your expense which is quite in some countries.

My europian husband wants to apply certificate of entry to Thailand, but the "alternative state quarantine hotels" are very pricy which starting from 35,000 bath. Why do you offer only 4-5 stars hotels? He also needs to pay for repatriate flight which avaliable only business class for forigners. All economy classs were fully reserved for Thai citizen!
We feel like we will be robbed by the government policy. I dont think all forigners with thai spouse can afford that! Can the foriegner apply "the state quarantine hotel"? We can afford only 2-3 stars hotel, but they won't allow foriegner to stay.

Further to this here is the TV link to authorized hotels / prices and peoples comments in regards to this crazy situation ....https://pinoythaiyo.com/2020/07/02/list-thailands-alternative-state-quarantine-hotels-and-their-costs/

1 week holiday turns into 5.  2 week quarantine in Thailand, 1 week holiday, 2 week quarantine back in Australia.  5 weeks paid accommodation plus an inflated plane cost.

Even IF plane flights are plentiful, there is hardly anyone that could take 5 weeks off work.

And there are no flights.

Let's talk again in the first half of 2022.

• Like 1

Thailand could stock up onPPE and vebtilators now.

Turn "normal" hospital rooms into ICU's, employ more nurses, build new hospitals!

But they won't!

On the other hand, I could imagine, there are quiet a bunch of people, who would be very happy with an ocean of unemployed from the tourism- industry!

They could hire and fire as they pleased, minimum wage not being a thing in the future...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Firstly, from the World Meter, Coronavirus Cases table,  Thailand has some excellent statistics, especially on the low Total Deaths.  

image.png.23f0644c12574152d62d62791d160c3b.png

Of course one red flag that stands out is the Tests per Million of Population, Thailand is at 138 th. in the world currently. 

But with only 3,266 Total Cases recorded all seems pretty good for the Thais at present. 

The 'X; factor is there are currently 69,204,693 (give or take a few) walking around in Thailand with unknown COVID-19 status.   

If the planned reentry of tourists (if any come) in September takes place the 'X' factor even with all the tourist medical clearances and certification requirements it's going to be a potential turkey shoot disaster that could skew the above World Meters stats for Thailand in the wrong direction.   

While I am in total support of the all the tourist industry people impacted by COVID-19 here if the Thai government don't have a slow phased tourist reentry program where they can measure the impact and react accordingly and just open the floodgates; the long term impact for tourism could be even worse than the current situation.   

17 hours ago, drbeach said:

Correct. Which only leaves Europe then.

I've been scouting for the next stop for a few years now and majority of eligible countries are in Europe. It's a mess everywhere but Europe seems the least messy in the future, unless they get screwed over by China due to EU's stupidity. Oz & NZ are on the list too. Asia is a write-off with the possible exception of Japan. Americas are falling into anarchy (Except the oddball Uruguay, strange exception), Africa is still Africa as in 3rd world. Some former eastern block countries that swung to the west might hold some promise. Middle East - meh, although ( built on top of Sharia copy of Las Vegas ) Dubai might be a temp stop for 1-2 years.

Slim pickings, especially if you want a good climate.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Slim pickings, especially if you want a good climate.

Hit it, Tony (Bennett):

I left my heart in Montenegro
Above the blue and windy sea
When I come home to you, Montenegro
Your golden sun will shine for me

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

Hit it, Tony (Bennett):

I left my heart in Montenegro
Above the blue and windy sea
When I come home to you, Montenegro
Your golden sun will shine for me

Yup, still on the list. Will go visit as soon as this corona thing is gone.

Let 'em learn. They'll be on their knees tomorrow. I and many others will be long gone.  They've done this before and the results were disastrous. They cannot learn by experience. The definition of insanity is doing things the same way every time and expecting a different result. Starve em out and leave em behind.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Seems odd to me that an unemployed hotel receptionist doesn't want foreigners to come to Thailand.

PS

Hardly any Thais wearing masks outside Chiang Mai city centre.

Around my Moobaan ........ ZERO masked Thais.

Around my kids Junior school ...... no teachers and no kids wearing masks.

We just put them on to enter Tesco or 7-11 now.

I have a facebook feed to a ( mainly ) expat bar I frequent when in Bangkok. Since the reopening I have seen zero masks worn by either staff or customers.

3 hours ago, berrec said:

Firstly, from the World Meter, Coronavirus Cases table,  Thailand has some excellent statistics, especially on the low Total Deaths.  

image.png.23f0644c12574152d62d62791d160c3b.png

Of course one red flag that stands out is the Tests per Million of Population, Thailand is at 138 th. in the world currently. 

But with only 3,266 Total Cases recorded all seems pretty good for the Thais at present. 

The 'X; factor is there are currently 69,204,693 (give or take a few) walking around in Thailand with unknown COVID-19 status.   

If the planned reentry of tourists (if any come) in September takes place the 'X' factor even with all the tourist medical clearances and certification requirements it's going to be a potential turkey shoot disaster that could skew the above World Meters stats for Thailand in the wrong direction.   

While I am in total support of the all the tourist industry people impacted by COVID-19 here if the Thai government don't have a slow phased tourist reentry program where they can measure the impact and react accordingly and just open the floodgates; the long term impact for tourism could be even worse than the current situation.   

Have you any evidence whatsoever that the Thai government does in fact have a credible , phased tourist reentry policy ?