SURVEY: Do you think Thailand is becoming less tolerant of foreigners?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you think Thailand is becoming less tolerant of foreigners?   

592 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Myran said:

No. Enacting restrictions to halt the spread of a virus which has killed hundreds of thousands of people in just a few months is hardly intolerance, but common sense.

COVID killed 60, Thai drivers killed 7,400.

You'd think they should restrict Thai drivers before they worry about the virus.

That's just common sense.

When 40 million people come in and take over your country I don't think there's a country on earth that appreciates that.  There gets to be a point when people tire of it.

More or less?  I'm not sure about it either way.  

• Sad 1

Thailand is a country to live cheaply and bang hot, young women.

Don't try to overanalyse how things work or expect too much from Thailand, and you'll be the happiest guy here.

Edited by andux
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

When 40 million people come in and take over your country I don't think there's a country on earth that appreciates that.  There gets to be a point when people tire of it.

More or less?  I'm not sure about it either way.  

You dont hear them complain about the money they bring though, although many are crying like babies now there are  no tourists, typical.

10 minutes ago, bodga said:

You dont hear them complain about the money they bring though, although many are crying like babies now there are  no tourists, typical.

If you mean "they" as in "tourist related industries", and those who work in them then yes, of course.  So many in Thailand don't work in the tourism field at all.  

Respectfully, your paint brush is a little thick.  

There are cases of this all over europe, Japan, Thailand, Nepal, you name it.  They complain too.  

Thailand is a country, it doesn't have any bias. Thais, the persons living in the country do. And yes, it's happening everywhere. When you introduce too many "outsiders" to a system, the reaction is rejection. If the ratio stays at something like 1/10000, they are not a threat to the prevailing system. Mass tourism is one of the most corrosive agents.

In the case of Thais you also have the usurpers which are pariah to the western democracies and can only play at the Chinese sandbox, so they obviously hate anything western.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, scammed said:

firstly we arent taking over, we cant vote even, and secondly we arent a burden either,

we pays our ways and are a contribution to the economy,

this is the exact reverse from what is going on in our home countries.

if this was the situation at home, i'd be thrilled every_day 

that so many wants to freeze and in so doing increase my and my country wealth, 

its literally a free god send gift, an income without the corresponding effort & competition

Sounds awful.

Why would you want to live there then?  

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Thailand is a country, it doesn't have any bias. Thais, the persons living in the country do. And yes, it's happening everywhere. When you introduce too many "outsiders" to a system, the reaction is rejection. If the ratio stays at something like 1/10000, they are not a threat to the prevailing system. Mass tourism is one of the most corrosive agents.

In the case of Thais you also have the usurpers which are pariah to the western democracies and can only play at the Chinese sandbox, so they obviously hate anything western.

I've lived in a lot of countries.  I'm fairy sure that Thailand isn't any worse than the rest.  

If you read biased one sided news stories only reporting the worst of the worst then your reality is going to become perverted.  

Step back and look at the big picture.  

I've had some bad experiences in Thailand but by and large it hasn't been any worse than anywhere else.  

9 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm....Xenophobic comes to mind. To describe foreigners in your legislation as “aliens” sums it up really. Your money is welcome but you are not.

duh..alien is a legal term. 

No change for me in 20 years. 

The authorities are much less tolerant of foreigners flouting laws, and in particular, immigration laws. Working on tourist visas / without work permits, etc. They are right to take out the trash. 

9 hours ago, orchis said:
9 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm....Xenophobic comes to mind. To describe foreigners in your legislation as “aliens” sums it up really. Your money is welcome but you are not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)
This term is also used in US UK Australia and Canada.

Shush... maybe @bbbbooboo just needs to get out more?

Poll is not too good. Choices 3 and 4 identical.

And what do you mean by Thailand ? People ? Immigration / gouvernement ? Very different things.

In my opinion Thaï people are still the same. Most are very polite, very honest, not agressive, good at business, easy, funny often, in one word "nice".

But not too much at feelings i would say like that ???? I mean somehow no one really cares in deep. But same between them. Different culture, less deep, and less agressive too. 

What as definitely changed is Immigration. And so gouvernement. Obviously they just want short time tourists, medical tourists, big pack Chineese tourists, and they make more and more problem to expats or long travellers (and to squatters cheap Charlies but that "at least" can be understandable ???? - sorry guys -).

And i would say the same number of frustrated usual (in the world to compare) people, searching for scapegoat, and xenophobia. What as changed here (like in many countries) is that those losers feel free to show their bad feelings, their xenophobia and hate. Very small part of population but like violence, it as a bad impact.

So actually i would not say Thailand is becoming less friendly. Just Immigration, and some frustrated haters. Thai people are still very nice and basically easy-living with.

So let's hope this gouvernement will not go further and totally ruin a long history and tradition of respect and hospitality. But frankly, a guy like Anutin talking trash like "dirty farang", and others almost saying "farang go home", is very bad.

Again, this does not, imo, represent Thai people.

• Like 1

It is a certain type of foreigner that Thais do not like. Those who walk around half naked covered with tattoos. Sexpats. Old ugly ones with young girls more than half their age. Thai bashers. The type that live in the farang ghettos. Don't speak a word of Thai. So-called long-term tourists living on a shoestring. There are plenty of these types unfortunately. I go out of my way to avoid them by  living in places in Thailand where I don't have to meet them. I have mostly Thai friends and they are wonderful helpful and fun. It gets easier and easier to obtain the necessary visas to stay here, but of course not for those who try and cheat the system  by getting agents to put up the money and falsify their income,                                    

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

If you mean "they" as in "tourist related industries", and those who work in them then yes, of course.  So many in Thailand don't work in the tourism field at all.  

Respectfully, your paint brush is a little thick.  

There are cases of this all over europe, Japan, Thailand, Nepal, you name it.  They complain too.  

And  I  would  post that in those forums  not here as its a  Thai  forum.

It’s probably a lack of education, which is the cause of many problems in Thailand. I seem to find most Thais tolerant, and some down right rude, not necessarily in words , a look is enough. I like to shop , example, asking for a bigger or smaller size, and get a loud * no* as answer. Or being completely ignored. I’ve had cleaning ladies , massage , beauty salon girls who are really lovely and very polite. It’s very divided. 

In general I don't think the Thai people, on a day to day basis are wholly less tolerant, left to their own devices they would not care whether we were Thai or farang (other than when running a scam). I think their anti farang behaviour is purely driven by their respect/fear of their governing officials, police and military. When they see government ministers making anti farang statements they feel obliged to follow suit because that's what Thais have always been forced to do.

11 hours ago, Shammy said:

Anutin is a nasty piece of work and needs to be pulled into line. The <deleted> hes said in public and on TV .. he needs a good flogging.

Problem is he can't, the PM fears him as he has too much power. Could you imagine him at the raines, no thanks, but watch this space, hope I am wrong.

7 hours ago, geisha said:

It’s probably a lack of education, which is the cause of many problems in Thailand. I seem to find most Thais tolerant, and some down right rude, not necessarily in words , a look is enough. I like to shop , example, asking for a bigger or smaller size, and get a loud * no* as answer. Or being completely ignored. I’ve had cleaning ladies , massage , beauty salon girls who are really lovely and very polite. It’s very divided. 

imo the 'no' response is because they dont want to get entangled in a language & topic they havnt a good grasp on, you will get a better response if you speak thai,

not always but the odds gets a whole lot better

Edited by scammed

8 hours ago, gamini said:

It is a certain type of foreigner that Thais do not like. Those who walk around half naked covered with tattoos. Sexpats. Old ugly ones with young girls more than half their age. Thai bashers. The type that live in the farang ghettos. Don't speak a word of Thai. So-called long-term tourists living on a shoestring.

A lot of people on TV assume Thai's share their own personal prejudices.

• Like 1

Ive been coming here since I was 18 I'm now 60 the tolerance of the common thais (not in Pattaya or nana) hasn't changed they are still the same lovely people but my attitude has changed I truly believe in stronger screening for visas currently a lot of overseas criminals and low life's and the quality of the tourist has decreased never before have I witnessed such rudeness to thais or Thai culture .Politiness is the key to Thailand rudeness can often get you what you deserve. China on the other hand should like many other countries have a good close look at itself before calling others racist

Edited by Chooky
add text
  • Like 1