Youth launch protest against 'deep-rooted Thai dictatorship'

rooster59

5 hours ago, meechai said:

Yes the youth may be quite vocal here & rightfully so but,

The media & probably the PTB are trying to pretend it is just the youth by showing just pics of their groups.

That is not the case...Young & Old alike are fed up with this mob calling themselves a government

1.jpg

2.jpg

Yes of course, the press is complicit and only push their agenda ... which in this country is the status quo

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

No Mass tourists, No Mass tax income, No Mass economic growth, No Mass of mostly anything, down hill all around 555

Soon they will invent some "hub" claim to cheer the peasants up

6 minutes ago, hobz said:

the reason the numbers are so low could be because of the restrictions. If they started allowing tourists back in, the virus could start spreading out of control, and then what? Would that then lead to even more restrictions? Even more unemployment? At least now everything is open except tourism?

Many seem to forget that during the height of virus in China from Jan to March, Thailand still allowed tourists from China. 

Yet, at that time, economy was still much better than now, and virus cases were still low. 

It's due to Chinese government locking down Wuhan and Thai people doing sensible thing like wearing masks which most other western countries won't do.

Religious places where people sit next to each other in large number is also a huge virus spreader as shown in Malaysia and other Muslim countries.

This doesn't happen in Thailand.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

seems to me that under this administration peoples rights in Thailand have greatly diminished, the deck is stacked in every direction, Hong Kong democracy activists think they have problems

Even before this administration, as proved by the previous and democratically elected one being forcibly removed. The situation in Thailand is that if anyone looks as if they will threaten the status quo (the rich rule and you kneel before them) then they are barred from politics. Or, if by chance the 'wrong' party takes control, then the army removes it. Which unquestionably makes Thailand a banana republic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Many seem to forget that during the height of virus in China from Jan to March, Thailand still allowed tourists from China. 

Yet, at that time, economy was still much better than now, and virus cases were still low. 

It's due to Chinese government locking down Wuhan and Thai people doing sensible thing like wearing masks which most other western countries won't do.

Religious places where people sit next to each other in large number is also a virus spreader as shown in Malaysia.

I really wonder why Thailand wasn't hit harder from Jan-Mar. It could be like you said, the masks. 

Another thing could be that Thailand did actually start screening passengers from China early on.

That being said, alot of people I know in Chiang Mai (including myself and my gf had nasty flu in late December).

8 minutes ago, hobz said:

I really wonder why Thailand wasn't hit harder from Jan-Mar. It could be like you said, the masks. 

Another thing could be that Thailand did actually start screening passengers from China early on.

That being said, alot of people I know in Chiang Mai (including myself and my gf had nasty flu in late December).

No, Thailand didn't start screening passengers from China back then before end of March.

Singapore was harder hit than Thailand even though Thailand has more Chinese tourists than Singapore. Thailand is not as densely populated as Singapore.

LOL. I don't have any nasty flu in CM even though I have been here since Dec last year.

Edited by EricTh

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

it has failed in its economic management, especially amid the Covid-19 pandemic. The government's imposition of the state of emergency and the nationwide lockdown had led to rising unemployment and lack of income.

Yeah, Prayut, you should have used the Trump model: Economics before health. That Thailand has been a model of how to act must go unnoticed by idealistic youth. Sure, the toll has been, and will be for awhile, terrible for the Thai economy. But, control the pandemic and the economy will follow. I can see tourists returning to Thailand long before they consider ever visiting the US -- and other carelessly handled countries.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

Personally I think Prayut has done a decent job considering the challenge. Unlike many of the self imposed authorities who expect a country's institutional corruption to turn around in 5 years,  I feel he had started to make a small difference. Now that the election has reintroduced the politicians this will likely be reversed. In the meantime this country remains one of the safest in the world. Far from perfect, but safer than most. Imo

Yeah. Do as I say but not as I do, and besides I have immunity so get out of me and my cronies business of control.

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 2

The Young show the way, no meaninglesd identity politics here, but real grievances ,after all the Govt decided to shutdown their economy, destroy peoples livelihoods for what amounts to 56 virus related deaths, they rightly ask for this emergency act repeal.

Power to them 

The army-elite nexus is ruthless when it comes to holding on to power as seen in coup after coup against democratically elected governments and particularly the violent 2010 crackdown on protesters.

Therefore, at some time the current movement for democracy will have to think along the lines of fighting fire with fire. There's no other choice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Why repeat only 1 paragraph twice? Better repeat the complete post twice. It will be stronger....

as for the youths - yeah, I'm also against all the covid related restrictions and bad economic situation that it all caused, but guys, read about other places in the world - we are ALL in the same boat. ALL government around the world (well, except for Sweden) did pretty much the same. It doesn't matter who would have been in power at the beginning of the pandemic - we'd still be in the same situation.

As for freedom of speech - do a little history search of about 25-30 years ago and see the difference...... and also to the Taksin era, from 2001 to 2006. There is a lot more freedom now than in both periods. 

Oh. so now suddenly we are all in the same boat?

5 minutes ago, John CS said:

The Young show the way, no meaninglesd identity politics here, but real grievances ,after all the Govt decided to shutdown their economy, destroy peoples livelihoods for what amounts to 56 virus related deaths, they rightly ask for this emergency act repeal.

Power to them 

As should be the case in all countries that adopted the insane WHO lockdown procedure

Rather pathetic if you think about it. 1972, 1976, huge protests. Why didn't the idealists try to change it from the inside? Because no one would vote for them. Thais want the status quo, not change. 

13 minutes ago, 7fish said:

Totally agree. What happens between Thais and their government is their business and theirs alone.

Sorry as I fully disagree since I have 3 kids, wife and family here. If all you have is a condo or rented room then this maybe true for you.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Religious places where people sit next to each other in large number is also a huge virus spreader as shown in Malaysia and other Muslim countries.

Not so in my area, the temples are usually packed, maybe I've only been on 'special' days.

5 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Rather pathetic if you think about it. 1972, 1976, huge protests. Why didn't the idealists try to change it from the inside? Because no one would vote for them. Thais want the status quo, not change. 

No one voted for Prayut or his boss old fatty 

But agree that majority don't like change 

Edited by DaveE13
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, hobz said:

Thailand has done less than 200.000 tests until now and almost no tests on people who died, during the first months.

Go figure!

applause for these guys,i hope many will follow

and hopefully  they get enough international attention for their actions

if not it could get a bit dangerous 

Edited by wazzupnow
faulty english