Makro your area

lavender19

2 minutes ago, time2093 said:

I only shop is Makro as I find it has the freshest produce, fish, dairy, meat selection in comparison to Big C and Tesco, Just walking by at the meat section in Big C and Tescos smelling the yellow ranched stinky chicken and pork on display that will make you avoid the place.

You obviously haven't been to Makro in Surin...........

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Unless the Dutch have learned how to make Stilton, Danish Blue, Cornish Yarg and Welsh Black Bomber then your statement is not even close.

Opinions differ of course what is good. I still stand by my statement you can stand by yours. Hard to be right or wrong about taste.

My province doesnt even have a Makro only Tesco and had to complain to HQ about the lack of stock on their shelves and within a week everything was back , a win for the farang yay .

• Like 1

big problem is many stores will not re order an item till it is completely sold out, see it all the time in all the stores. Western stores re order when stock is low so you can always get what you want, just doesnt happen here, the other problem is they will stop selling an item so you have to go to a different store to find it, its as if the ones running the stores have no idea how to do it properly or efficiently, they just dont care about customer service

I live in Phrae Makro there is just as bad, freezer products that i want aren't kept in the same place twice. So i really have to hunt for what i want. Then when you go to pay very embarrassing, no cash with me just Thai bank cards, but unfortunately for me & the rest of the customers in my queue SCB Bank mastercard isn't good enough for Makro. Therefore i had to hold everybody up, go to the ATM withdraw cash in order to pay. Absolutely pathetic for a global company.

Chiang Mai Makro on the Hang Dong road seems to always have everything we need, We don't need allot of Foreign sourced items though. Cheese? Of course I can echo complaints about the guy with the full to the brim cart in the 10 items or less lines. We have that same guy here in the North too. What can you say? "Land of Smiles", grin and bear it. I can tell these people have never been taught customer service, but I have not had any problems asking where they moved something, which seems to be a constant problem, they are seemingly constantly moving stuff around. Coffee? on aisle 17 one week, aisle 4 the next. Who knows why? For some reason they seem totally oblivious to the reasons why people are always asking them where they moved things.

23 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have been to Makro all over the country I have never seen any of them out of butter or cheese or beef.  In fact, they seem to always have an over abundance of it.

Maybe next time have your wife call the store before you go and ask them if the items are in stock.

If they do you can freeze butter, cheese and beef so stock up.

To add sorry, you made the decision to live one hour away from place being in the middle of now where can have its consequences.

Here endeth the lesson.

Rooster

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have been to Makro all over the country I have never seen any of them out of butter or cheese or beef.  In fact, they seem to always have an over abundance of it.

Maybe next time have your wife call the store before you go and ask them if the items are in stock.

If they do you can freeze butter, cheese and beef so stock up.

To add sorry, you made the decision to live one hour away from place being in the middle of now where can have its consequences.

FYI, you can not freeze a cheddar. The texture changes and you can't slice it anymore. 

• Like 1

I saw this queue at Makro yesterday and being British I pondered whether to join it though I had no idea where it led. 

Yes, it was 2 minutes to five. I went and got sausages and frozen roti and naan breads and scarpered.

Rooster

• Haha 2

We have a large new MAKRO (Siam Makro) here in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Currently very quiet as not many vendors stocking up - no tourists! Excellent bakery on the premises, along with the usual fresh fruit/vegetables/meat/fish sections. No sunflower/margarine spread and the only cheese is Mozzarella. Poor selection of frozen packs of filleted fish, pork chops/steaks and pork sausages but, in fairness, I believe limited supplies have to come from Thailand via a land border crossing with restrictions. Stacks of food in tins and cartons etc. The joy here is NO restrictions on the sale of alcohol which is always available. Excellent range, especially beers from Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand (not my favorite by any means) and other well known International brands. Although a new store, sadly many of the associated smaller retail outlets have already closed. Hand sanitization and temperature taken on entry. Face-masks not mandatory. Fresh locally supplied "delicacies" include pig ears/trotters/entrails/snouts, along with chicken feet/entrails and fresh frogs!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

8 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

We have a large new MAKRO (Siam Makro) here in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Currently very quiet as not many vendors stocking up - no tourists! Excellent bakery on the premises, along with the usual fresh fruit/vegetables/meat/fish sections. No sunflower/margarine spread and the only cheese is Mozzarella. Poor selection of frozen packs of filleted fish, pork chops/steaks and pork sausages but, in fairness, I believe limited supplies have to come from Thailand via a land border crossing with restrictions. Stacks of food in tins and cartons etc. The joy here is NO restrictions on the sale of alcohol which is always available. Excellent range, especially beers from Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand (not my favorite by any means) and other well known International brands. Although a new store, sadly many of the associated smaller retail outlets have already closed. Hand sanitization and temperature taken on entry. Face-masks not mandatory. Fresh locally supplied "delicacies" include pig ears/trotters/entrails/snouts, along with chicken feet/entrails and fresh frogs!

I was always fascinated that (in the shopping mall on Sivatha) a tray of LEO is cheaper than a tray of Angkor.

• Thanks 1

Makro where I live (Koh Samui) is great, and everything in fine condition, and normally well upgraded in general stock, including butter, cheese and Australian beef. Anything getting close to last selling date will be taken aside in special containers and discounted, often to half price; like milk or fresh juice with only 3-4 days left, and sometimes even Australian beef...????

Alcoholic beverages are sold 11-14 and from 17, and can be paid at the cashier in that department, so you don't need to think about leaving the store before 14, because of buying booze, just get it paid for in time. I've never seen any queue line there, also not before 11 or 17, but cannot either say it never happens. 

And by the way, both BigC and Tesco-Lotus do the same here – both are very good, but still little different in assortment; i.e. "same-same but different" – BigC is another owner (Central Group) from Marko/Tesco-Lotus/7-Eleven, which are all CP.

But perhaps I'm just living in a lucky part of the nation...????

The ones in Pattaya are pretty good but I do notice that many times prices at Tesco Lotus or Big C are just as good if not better.  My main complaint at Makro is dodging the pallets and all the shut down aisles as they restock.  I have never been to Makro without one or more aisles closed due to restocking.  In the USA they stock at night so there is a full supply of product for the following day and not inconvenience the shoppers.

20 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The ones in Pattaya are pretty good but I do notice that many times prices at Tesco Lotus or Big C are just as good if not better.  My main complaint at Makro is dodging the pallets and all the shut down aisles as they restock.  I have never been to Makro without one or more aisles closed due to restocking.  In the USA they stock at night so there is a full supply of product for the following day and not inconvenience the shoppers.

The aisles are only blocked for safety while there are fork lifts moving about. If you want something in that aisle just catch the eye of the driver or another staff member and they will let you in get what you require, have done it many times. (well they do at our local Makro).

51 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

The aisles are only blocked for safety while there are fork lifts moving about. If you want something in that aisle just catch the eye of the driver or another staff member and they will let you in get what you require, have done it many times. (well they do at our local Makro).

I think you may have missed the point.

USA and most of the western world restock outside normal hours. ANY obstacle is a barrier to buying - and a potential safety risk.

Pallets are an issue because Makro sells in bulk. Some products, especially soft drinks, a pallet can go in a couple of hours no problem. So need to bring another in .... rarely do you see 2 pallets of the same product out at the same time (alcohol maybe!). I think that they actually stock too large a range of products, hence the need to continually replace stock.

Udon Thani Makro is OK, usually cheaper than BigC and Tesco, although they do not do BOGOF offers - i watch out for those at the other places. So far only farang style products in short supply seem to be sausages - TGM products have become rarer.

The meat is consistently better than BigC and Tesco - probably due to high turnover - although BigC has improved a lot - doesn't stink like it used to. Some years ago you had to cook it within 24 hours or freeze it straight away or it would be off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wavel said:

I live in Phrae Makro there is just as bad, freezer products that i want aren't kept in the same place twice. So i really have to hunt for what i want. Then when you go to pay very embarrassing, no cash with me just Thai bank cards, but unfortunately for me & the rest of the customers in my queue SCB Bank mastercard isn't good enough for Makro. Therefore i had to hold everybody up, go to the ATM withdraw cash in order to pay. Absolutely pathetic for a global company.

Its advertised that they dont accept cards. That is why they are cheaper. You should know that and if you hold up everyone then yes you should be embarrassed. Its a store policy and after one time you should know. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I think you may have missed the point.

USA and most of the western world restock outside normal hours. ANY obstacle is a barrier to buying - and a potential safety risk.

I think your missing the point. Makro is not a normal shop. They start at 6 am till 23 pm. So give it a break. Makro is a not a consumer shop. It has bulk items and less service. Its their concept. 

On 7/20/2020 at 10:39 AM, dimitriv said:

Makro is also located in Germany, Netherlands.

They are known for their 

-Extremely poor customer service
-Rude staff

Makroin thailand is sold to thai for some years.

Makro originally was a dutch company part of the SHV.

Now it is part of the german metro group.

Makro originally is a b2b company not a b2c company.

The additute you put down one has to presume it does reflect to the Thai Makro now owned by Thai.

On 7/21/2020 at 3:33 AM, Blue Muton said:

Last week I noticed that the price of Mainland cheese had shot up to 267 Baht, a massive hike from the usual price of around 200, although as mentioned on another thread they have other ok cheddar at 300 Baht a kilo. 

Products you reffered increase also in the west form 0.99 euro in 6. Month to 1.19 euro for the same 100 gram!

Just something we have to get used to.

My pet peeve is the dam pallets in the aisles.  They shut 23:00 and open again at 06:00.  7 hours for restocking.  

My second pet peeve is not all stores carry the same products.  Pepperoni x 1kg for example I can only get at Phitsanulok store on the hwy but not at the old Makro over near immigration...or the store at Phichit.  Cheese selection is light on.  Not sure I want to try cheddar made in USA! Have bought Celso (???) Parmesan made in USA which is OK when compared to none at all.  Pauly Wisconsin cream cheese OK.  

We shop at Phichit (65 km from here) store more than Phitsanulok (97km).  Don't need Pepperoni every trip!  Plus Phichit has a top class diesel repair shop, top dynamo, great irrigation and pump shop, great steel supply shop, great electrical repair shop, dog groomer...just OK!, vet and my bank is there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 8:06 AM, Grumpy John said:

My pet peeve is the dam pallets in the aisles.  They shut 23:00 and open again at 06:00.  7 hours for restocking.  

My second pet peeve is not all stores carry the same products.  Pepperoni x 1kg for example I can only get at Phitsanulok store on the hwy but not at the old Makro over near immigration...or the store at Phichit.  Cheese selection is light on.  Not sure I want to try cheddar made in USA! Have bought Celso (???) Parmesan made in USA which is OK when compared to none at all.  Pauly Wisconsin cream cheese OK.  

We shop at Phichit (65 km from here) store more than Phitsanulok (97km).  Don't need Pepperoni every trip!  Plus Phichit has a top class diesel repair shop, top dynamo, great irrigation and pump shop, great steel supply shop, great electrical repair shop, dog groomer...just OK!, vet and my bank is there.

Where's the Steel supply shop, I've been searching for 2" Galv weld mesh for 8 months & can't find any anywhere.