Non O Multi Marriage Clarification

Could someone please clarify my situation for me as I am a little confused. I have a non o multi entry marriage visa, stamped June 9th or so. Has the amnesty been extended to September or not and if so, is there anything I need to do. I know I can get a 60 day extension but I don’t want to use it up if I don’t need to. Could someone please clarify this for me.  Thanks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

@leeedwards > good advice from drJack54 on how to proceed.

Some additional comments:

The thai Cabinet meeting is today, and most probably the leaked rumours will be confirmed that the 31 July Amnesty will be followed by a 26 September Grace Period.

Whether there would be any differences when applying for a Visa or an extension, between the 31 July Amnesty and the 26 September Grace Period, remains to be seen.  Until then it is speculation, so we need to be patient and wait for the official announcement.

But in your case you do not have anything to worry about, because you have your 60-day extension (for reason of visiting your wife) as life-line.  It would be in your best interest to apply for that 60-day extension as late as possible (as it will start from day of application).

Even in the very unlikely case, that it turns out that the Grace Period was just a rumour and the 31 July date is 'end of the line' or that the Grace Period prohibits any further applications, you have nothing to worry about. 

Because you can then still apply before 31 July for your 60-day extension of stay, and at the end of those 60-days apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa.

I am in this same boat. No mention of going to HMC or Savannakhet to get another non O (if borders are open) Would you pretty much say the non O's are out of the window for the forseeable and will have to go down the marriage/retirement ext route?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, that's correct.

Obviously it is wise to wait as long as possible before applying for any in-country extension or change of Visa in order 'to buy time'.  So that in the unlikely case when the land-borders open again WITHOUT draconian entry/re-entry measures like mandatory quarantaine (at both sides), mandatory covid-19 insurance, mandatory health-certificate, etc., that you can do a border-run to regularize your Visa situation.

But beware about any timing restrictions for an in-country application to avoid applying too late and your application being refused for that reason.  E.g. the 15 (or 23) days left on your permission to stay to apply for a new Non Imm O Visa (in case when being on a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry) or the 2-months seasoning requirement for your first 1-year extension application based on your Non Imm O Visa or the administrative 'relocation time' when you need to switch to a more accomodating IO in another province.

Mmmm, I think I've got it.

I've always gone down the 1 yr non O route as always enjoy a trip every now and then so this is going to be something new for me. I am 50 now so will go retirement option and very likely to use an agent as I have no experience with these ext's, I'm sure it's not difficult but even so. I don't even know how to do the re-entry's if you leave the country.

With my 60 day ext I still have in the bank I can stretch to around mid-Nov, maybe borders are open then with no daft requirements to get back in.

If I do go the ext route and my final permission to stay stamp is around mid Nov, when would you suggest I contact an agent to get the ball rolling? The non O visa itself expires on 18th November. Thanks.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Mmmm, I think I've got it.

I've always gone down the 1 yr non O route as always enjoy a trip every now and then so this is going to be something new for me. I am 50 now so will go retirement option and very likely to use an agent as I have no experience with these ext's, I'm sure it's not difficult but even so. I don't even know how to do the re-entry's if you leave the country.

With my 60 day ext I still have in the bank I can stretch to around mid-Nov, maybe borders are open then with no daft requirements to get back in.

If I do go the ext route and my final permission to stay stamp is around mid Nov, when would you suggest I contact an agent to get the ball rolling? The non O visa itself expires on 18th November. Thanks.

Yes, you should wait till the final days of the Amnesty (probably to be extended till 26 September - decision/announcement expected today following the Cabinet meeting), to play your 60-day Extension joker.  If you do that say 25 September, you will get a permission to stay till 23 November (which almost coincides with your Non Imm O Visa validity till 18 November).

When the land-borders are open again without any draconian entry/re-entry measures to deal with, a border run just before 18 November will provide you once again with a 90-day permission to stay.  Problem solved.

If land-borders not open again by 18 or 23 November, you would then need to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa before that 23 November expiry date of your permission to stay.

You could do that for reason of retirement (+50 years of age) or for reason of marriage.

The requirements for an application for reason of retirement are very simple, the requirements for an application for reason of marriage have way lower financial requirements, but involve more admin hassle as you will need to prove that you are still married to your thai wife.

Engaging an Agent to help you with the 'legwork' to ensure that your application is complete and will not be turned down by Immigration for some petty reason, is an option.  The fee should be somewhere in the area of 3.000 to max 7.000 THB. 

Note: The higher fees you read about on the Forum are for Fixer services in case you cannot meet the requirements (and which would then involve a 'brown envelope' for the Immigration officer handling your application and turning a blind eye on the requirements you don't comply with).  From what you write it looks that there is no need for such fixer services in your case, so the normal 'legit' hand-holding Agent fee would be applicable.

>> Still I do recommend you to enquire at your local IO (after today's Cabinet decision and resulting Immigration announcement), about your Visa situation and options.

This in case your local IO would be of the 'hardliner' type and would not accept your application for the 60-day extension of stay or the 1-year extension of stay following that, because you are presently on the Amnesty extension.  In that case you would have ample time to look for a more accomodating IO that would accept such applications, and then administratively relocate there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, you should wait till the final days of the Amnesty (probably to be extended till 26 September - decision/announcement expected today following the Cabinet meeting), to play your 60-day Extension joker.  If you do that say 25 September, you will get a permission to stay till 23 November (which almost coincides with your Non Imm O Visa validity till 18 November).

When the land-borders are open again without any draconian entry/re-entry measures to deal with, a border run just before 18 November will provide you once again with a 90-day permission to stay.  Problem solved.

If land-borders not open again by 18 or 23 November, you would then need to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa before that 23 November expiry date of your permission to stay.

You could do that for reason of retirement (+50 years of age) or for reason of marriage.

The requirements for an application for reason of retirement are very simple, the requirements for an application for reason of marriage have way lower financial requirements, but involve more admin hassle as you will need to prove that you are still married to your thai wife.

Engaging an Agent to help you with the 'legwork' to ensure that your application is complete and will not be turned down by Immigration for some petty reason, is an option.  The fee should be somewhere in the area of 3.000 to max 7.000 THB. 

Note: The higher fees you read about on the Forum are for Fixer services in case you cannot meet the requirements (and which would then involve a 'brown envelope' for the Immigration officer handling your application and turning a blind eye on the requirements you don't comply with).  From what you write it looks that there is no need for such fixer services in your case, so the normal 'legit' hand-holding Agent fee would be applicable.

>> Still I do recommend you to enquire at your local IO (after today's Cabinet decision and resulting Immigration announcement), about your Visa situation and options.

This in case your local IO would be of the 'hardliner' type and would not accept your application for the 60-day extension of stay or the 1-year extension of stay following that, because you are presently on the Amnesty extension.  In that case you would have ample time to look for a more accomodating IO that would accept such applications, and then administratively relocate there.

Ok Peter, got it all. So I will just wait and see how the borders look come November.

With an agent I did just have the 'fixer' service in mind, hadn't even thought about handling fee agent. I hear fees ranging from 14-25k for this service. I understand most use it as they cannot meet the requirements, but have also heard of people that can but still go down this route as it means you don't need to tie up 800k and don't have to lift a finger, with the agent even taking care of the 90 day reports. I can see the appeal.

• Like 1

There could be problems brewing for those of us that are on a Non o visa based on marriage and who are under 50 years old. For me its not possible to do a 1 year extension due to the current Covid events that's effecting me financially as I'm sure others too to be able to put together 400k or even 40k for the marriage extension.

The last agent I spoke to in Pattaya about an extension based on marriage five years ago quoted me at over 40,000 bht as I was told its not as easy as the retirement visa extension to do as to why prices are much higher. Even if that's the case as a last resort to some if the borders dont open up by November as that's when my visa expires and my 60 day extension to visit the wife which would start around September 26 would end as its still not possible for me to do as I dont live in Pattaya anymore and dont have an extra 40k ++ to spend for such a service. Looks like my options are very slim as I just hope the boarders open up by then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, time2093 said:

There could be problems brewing for those of us that are on a Non o visa based on marriage and who are under 50 years old. For me its not possible to do a 1 year extension due to the current Covid events that's effecting me financially as I'm sure others too to be able to put together 400k or even 40k for the marriage extension.

The last agent I spoke to in Pattaya about an extension based on marriage five years ago quoted me at over 40,000 bht as I was told its not as easy as the retirement visa extension to do as to why prices are much higher. Even if that's the case as a last resort to some if the borders dont open up by November as that's when my visa expires and my 60 day extension to visit the wife which would start around September 26 would end as its still not possible for me to do as I dont live in Pattaya anymore and dont have an extra 40k ++ to spend for such a service. Looks like my options are very slim as I just hope the boarders open up by then.

Why would you waste 40.000 THB on an Agent to 'fix' your 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, when you can do it legit yourself by transferring +40K in the months of October and November to your personal thai bank-account?

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Why would you waste 40.000 THB on an Agent to 'fix' your 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, when you can do it legit yourself by transferring +40K in the months of October and November to your personal thai bank-account?

Well how would I do that if I'm already in Thailand and the 40,000bht has to be transferred from abroad to my Thai account as I dont have a bank account abroad?

4 minutes ago, time2093 said:

Well how would I do that if I'm already in Thailand and the 40,000bht has to be transferred from abroad to my Thai account as I dont have a bank account abroad?

Family / friends? 
On receipt you can simply take out the money and transfer back via a different channel.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

Ok thanks for the advise, So I just need to show 2 incoming transfers being received in my Thai account for 2 months showing 40,000bht per month? If that's the case

does the 40,000 bht have to sit in my account for 1 month or I can use it once it arrives in my account?.

Does immigration want to know the origin of the receiving funds such a pay slip or anything to do with that or all they care is seeing your bank book with the 40k in it for two months?.

10 minutes ago, time2093 said:

If that's the case does the 40,000 bht have to sit in my account for 1 month or I can use it once it arrives in my account?.

You can use the 40k baht as soon as it appears in your bank if you want to.

10 minutes ago, time2093 said:

Does immigration want to know the origin of the receiving funds such a pay slip or anything to do with that or all they care is seeing your bank book with the 40k in it for two months?.

They can ask for proof of the source of your income.

9 minutes ago, time2093 said:

Ok thanks for the advise, So I just need to show 2 incoming transfers being received in my Thai account for 2 months showing 40,000bht per month? If that's the case

does the 40,000 bht have to sit in my account for 1 month or I can use it once it arrives in my account?.

I think it needs to be transferred to your Thai account with ‘Transfer Wise’ for it to show up as a transaction from overseas. The person sending it needs to click on a drop down menu with the “long term stay” (or something like that) option. If anyone out there has more specific info....

4 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I think it needs to be transferred to your Thai account with ‘Transfer Wise’ for it to show up as a transaction from overseas. The person sending it needs to click on a drop down menu with the “long term stay” (or something like that) option. If anyone out there has more specific info....

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can use the 40k baht as soon as it appears in your bank if you want to.

They can ask for proof of the source of your income.

Does the overseas transfer have to come from transfer wise?...How would immigration know I received transfer was from overseas just by looking at my bank book? Can I go to my bank and so they can confirm from their computer that the payment received was from abroad and write me a letter confirming that?

If they ask for proof of income, I can do up a payslip or invoice showing the transfer to my Thai account from overseas. Do they just want to see proof or do they acutely check and due their due diligence?

Been here (mostly) and in the UK (less so) for the last 10 years on 60 day / 90 days and extensions.

First time this February I went through the process of obtaining my 1 year retirement visa and now everyone gets to stay for free.

Any ideas if I can have a refund on my 1900 baht?

Seriously though, this may be a welcome opportunity for Immigration to look at the process and criteria. Hopefully making it less of a hassle for those of us that have genuinely invested our lives here.

4 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

If your married to a Thai, why go the retirement route and use an agent.

Is it because you don't have the necessary income or funds.

4 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Personally, I'd start the ball rolling beginning of November in that situation, whilst you still 'technically' have a valid Non O Visa.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If your married to a Thai, why go the retirement route and use an agent.

Is it because you don't have the necessary income or funds.

Personally, I'd start the ball rolling beginning of November in that situation, whilst you still 'technically' have a valid Non O Visa.

Marriage ext are a lot more complex with red tape etc than a retirement ext. As for why an agent, yes I do have the money but feel that for someone to do it all for you AND not to have to tie up the 800k is good value imo.

Yes, will leave it until later in the year. If borders are open then and no daft requirements to come back in I will probably just get another non O.

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

1 - You would need to provide evidence that the +40K for each of the two monthly income transfers, originated from abroad.

An easy way to get evidence of this is when the person sending it to you uses TransferWise, and provides you with the Transfer Receipt (in PDF format) that can be generated once the funds have been transferred to your personal thai bank-account.  That Transfer Receipt shows the routing followed by the funds from the foreign account to your personal thai bank account, and it is accepted by most IOs as it provides irrefutable evidence that the funds originated from abroad.

You will also need to show your bankbook (on which the funds were received) as well as a bank-statement.  The amounts transferred and shown on your bankbook will show them as 'domestic' transfers, but the TransferWise Transfer Receipts will prove that they originated from abroad.

>> I will PM you a document about TransferWise and how to use it to prove your monthly income transfers originated from abroad.

2 - The IO MIGHT also request that you provide evidence of the SOURCE of the income (e.g. pension, dividends, rental income).  In your case you will probably have no possibility to provide such evidence (as you would request family/friends to send over the required funds, which is of course not a steady monthly income). 

So you would have to take the risk and hope that the immigration officer handling your case will not request that additional SOURCING evidence.  Most often they do not ask for this if you already provide evidence that the funds originated from abroad.

But you can check by enquiring at your local IO for a 'checklist' of requirements to be met for your application.

Note: In order not to raise any suspicion about the source of the funds, it is recommended that the person sending them over uses the same foreign account to transfer the funds, both for the October and November transfer.  And if you need to send the funds back to the person that did lend them to you, better use a different bank-account than the one on which you received the funds.

Thanks for the info Peter, much appreciated. I was reading on Sim legal that some immigration offices were wanting a letter from the applicant embassy to confirm the source of funds as well?. I will go in and ask what my local immigration requirements are.

17 minutes ago, time2093 said:

Thanks for the info Peter, much appreciated. I was reading on Sim legal that some immigration offices were wanting a letter from the applicant embassy to confirm the source of funds as well?. I will go in and ask what my local immigration requirements are.

Yes, some IOs (e.g. Jomtien, SiRacha, Hat Yai) only accept an Embassy certified pension-statement as source of the income.

In case you are a US, UK or Australian citizen using the monthly-income transfer method is not possible at those IOs, as the US, UK and Aussie Embassies do not issue such statements anymore.

Hence my advice to enquire for the requirements at your local IO, to check whether additional evidence is required to prove the sourcing of the funds. 

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

That Transfer Receipt shows the routing followed by the funds from the foreign account to your personal thai bank account, and it is accepted by most IOs as it provides irrefutable evidence that the funds originated from abroad.

My Transferwise PDF shows "Delivered via Local Bank Transfer" despite choosing the "Funds for long-term stay in Thailand" when sending money.
I used my debit card to send money from my bank acc via Transferwise.

22 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Ok Peter, got it all. So I will just wait and see how the borders look come November.

With an agent I did just have the 'fixer' service in mind, hadn't even thought about handling fee agent. I hear fees ranging from 14-25k for this service. I understand most use it as they cannot meet the requirements, but have also heard of people that can but still go down this route as it means you don't need to tie up 800k and don't have to lift a finger, with the agent even taking care of the 90 day reports. I can see the appeal.

The sum you pay to an agent varies depending on which requirement you don't meet. If you meet every requirement you just pay for the "help" to put together the needed documents, and that's not expensive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stoicccc said:

My Transferwise PDF shows "Delivered via Local Bank Transfer" despite choosing the "Funds for long-term stay in Thailand" when sending money.
I used my debit card to send money from my bank acc via Transferwise.

That's correct.  It shows the routing that your transfer followed, and that's the whole point.  The TransferWise Transfer Receipt provides irrefutable proof that the transfer originated from abroad, and as mentioned earlier it is accepted by most IOs as evidence of foreign origins of the transferred funds.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

That's correct.  It shows the routing that your transfer followed, and that's the whole point.  The TransferWise Transfer Receipt provides irrefutable proof that the transfer originated from abroad, and as mentioned earlier it is accepted by most IOs as evidence of foreign origins of the transferred funds.

Aaaah so it's enough that it shows that EUR has been converted to BHT in the process and it also shows both EUR and BHT are my accounts. Good times.

Edited by stoicccc
  • Like 1