Virus + failing economy = major changes for visas and extensions?

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

It would be very wise given the current circumstances to relax the very restrictive visa rules and regulations for both tourists and ex-pats to keep as many foreigners spending money in Thailand as possible. Will that happen? I certainly won't be holding my breath.

It seems you haven't got a clue about visas and regulations in the western world. You think a Thai/Asian person can go anywhere in the world without hassle? They will only,if lucky, get a tourist visa,nothing else. Can they extend it, I think not. Can they use money in the bank to stay 1 year? The answer is No. Can they do border runs and get another 30 days? No,they can't. There's no problem what so ever staying in Thailand long term if you meet the requirements. Vietnam for example changed their visas July 1, and not for the better for westerners,unless you're from the US because of a bilateral agreement. You don't here anyone talking about Vietnam now. Go figure. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, steven100 said:

I doubt anything major will happen as a result of the economic downturn apart form the usual promotions to try to woo tourists back or coax new ones. 

Thailand has been through hard times before although probably not to this magnitude. I believe the powers that be will alter a couple of things that may make it ever so slightly easier to enter or stay long term but I don't anticipate any huge changes to the current visa requirements. imo

You got me to pondering what took place as a result of the 1997 financial meltdown. Did any changes take place concerning immigration to try and attract increasing tourism?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, EbhB said:

No one have managed to couple wisdom to statecraft, not even Plato... ????

But some type of compromise could well happen, and quite likely some pretty major changes to how everything is done!

I just seriously hope Thailand will not go down the totalitarian road of mandated vaccines and biometric surveillance 24/7...

Plato was a totalitarian hypocrite. His "ideal state" was a slave society where women eg had no voice. 

Mandated vaccines are nothing new When I travelled through Asia the first time (in 1969), vaccinations against smallpox and cholera were mandatory. 

Edited by micmichd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

It seems you haven't got a clue about visas and regulations in the western world. You think a Thai/Asian person can go anywhere in the world without hassle? They will only,if lucky, get a tourist visa,nothing else. Can they extend it, I think not. Can they use money in the bank to stay 1 year? The answer is No. Can they do border runs and get another 30 days? No,they can't. There's no problem what so ever staying in Thailand long term if you meet the requirements. Vietnam for example changed their visas July 1, and not for the better for westerners,unless you're from the US because of a bilateral agreement. You don't here anyone talking about Vietnam now. Go figure. 

Nothing else to add, well summed up.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm shifting 400k over this week, just to be safe.

Same here, divided over two banks + for the first time paying my "salary" from my own company through the banks! ????

My "workers" though, will keep on receiving "cash" - as well as the required social security. (Should that also be in hyphens??)

21 hours ago, SteveK said:

It would be very wise given the current circumstances to relax the very restrictive visa rules and regulations for both tourists and ex-pats to keep as many foreigners spending money in Thailand as possible. Will that happen? I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Nothing very restrictive for genuine retirees. Nothing's changed much in the last 20 years when 800 K was worth a lot more. In fact recently it seems to be getting much easier. The only people who find it restrictive are those that don't meet the financial requirements.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

We see tourist businesses affected because we are tourists, or expats. Our view is skewed heavily. Go into a factory or industrial area and it is most likely business as usual. 

We do not have a good estimate of how much Thailand is actually being affected. It is most likely much less than we think. In other words, i do not think Thais care as much about tourist dollars as the average foreigner thinks. Because, it is a small piece of a big picture. To us it looks like everything, to the bigwigs it is just a small piece of the pie, while other pieces are potentially increasing, for example Grab. 

I think this is both correct and not, in the way that the formal tourist sector is not more than around 10%, BUT the informal could perhaps be a lot more.

Also, as in all economies thousands of systems are intrically linked together - getting an almost full stop in one or now several sectors (automotive++) could well influence sectors that seem to be completely independent.

No one knows, really!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Please tell me why, maybe I am doing it wrong only using one bank.

Its very simple: I do not trust banks at all ????

Keeping things spread out is always the most resilient!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, micmichd said:

Plato was a totalitarian hypocrite. His "ideal state" was a slave society where women eg had no voice. 

Mandated vaccines are nothing new When I travelled through Asia the first time (in 1969), vaccinations against smallpox and cholera were mandatory. 

Yeah, was more thinking of Aristoteles but didn't bother editing, they were both playing around & failing early on...

Sure, but would you trust what might be pushed on us now? I'm not an extremist at all, took a booster for tetanus last year - then a series of rabies vaccine injections after recently being bitten by a dog.

Big pharma is corrupt and manipulated through and through, especially in the US - personally I'll avoid this if at all possible, then look into all details and options I can find IF the only way is to get it done... Fortunately Thailand is more flexible on medical matters, in many different ways. (Including getting the papers only, if that is the only way to stay safe personally.)

11 minutes ago, EbhB said:

Yeah, was more thinking of Aristoteles but didn't bother editing, they were both playing around & failing early on...

Sure, but would you trust what might be pushed on us now? I'm not an extremist at all, took a booster for tetanus last year - then a series of rabies vaccine injections after recently being bitten by a dog.

Big pharma is corrupt and manipulated through and through, especially in the US - personally I'll avoid this if at all possible, then look into all details and options I can find IF the only way is to get it done... Fortunately Thailand is more flexible on medical matters, in many different ways. (Including getting the papers only, if that is the only way to stay safe personally.)

Yes, of course big pharma is after money. But in Thailand vaccines are not that expensive after all. I paid less than 1,000 THB per tetanus vaccination in Banglamung Hospital (a public hospital) a couple of years ago. But there wasn't a pandemic behind that. 

I don't trust Western Big Pharma at all. I do trust scientists, and in a way I do trust the Chinese and the WHO. 

At the moment it's a bit complicated because there's obviously a mutation of the Corona Virus spreading around in the West. So they probably would really need a multi-variant solution. 

The idea of using blood plasma from people that survived CoviD-19 isn't bad either. If you have many T-cells in your blood (like I have) donating plasma is a wonderful cure. Unfortunately I'm too old now for blood plasma donations. But that doesn't mean much. 

Edited by micmichd

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So what are your suggestions re positive changes. Thailand already has some of the most generous and flexible options to "settle".

My suggestions would be cut out this ridiculous amount of paper needed for a marriage extension this photo was before i had made copies of passport. About 55 in allIMG_1414.thumb.jpg.8951d6ccd5f8e409a84f37ccfe088f1b.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, brianthainess said:

My suggestions would be cut out this ridiculous amount of paper needed for a marriage extension this photo was before i had made copies of passport. About 55 in allIMG_1414.thumb.jpg.8951d6ccd5f8e409a84f37ccfe088f1b.jpg

If you can afford it extend on basis of retirement using money in bank. Zero issues. 

• Haha 1

I married my ex wife in Finland 2009 (filipina). Right away she start get coverment unemployed money every month. Right away she can go working also (if find one). She get Finland free health care card next day that get free health care!

She go to learn Finnish language in school and she get student money and travel money to school. After enough know Finnish language she get Finland passport (5 years). Now she have ok job in Finland and live there whit my son!

Ok i little help coz i was idiot and not make prenup lol. But want my son have all good also and have nice life!

I pay every month alimony to her. And kids get child money every month from coverment also (tax free). Until 17 years old.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Yes, of course big pharma is after money. But in Thailand vaccines are not that expensive after all. I paid less than 1,000 THB per tetanus vaccination in Banglamung Hospital (a public hospital) a couple of years ago. But there wasn't a pandemic behind that. 

I don't trust Western Big Pharma at all. I do trust scientists, and in a way I do trust the Chinese and the WHO. 

At the moment it's a bit complicated because there's obviously a mutation of the Corona Virus spreading around in the West. So they probably would really need a multi-variant solution. 

The idea of using blood plasma from people that survived CoviD-19 isn't bad either. If you have many T-cells in your blood (like I have) donating plasma is a wonderful cure. Unfortunately I'm too old now for blood plasma donations. But that doesn't mean much. 

Cost is not the problem, faulty and experimental stuff that is part of corrupt scemes IS...

I've seen too much in the West to trust anything like this, I'd actually feel more inclined to trust Thailand on this one!

If/when this arrives I will certainly look into as much of the details as possible...

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I object to your judging my lifestyle when you don't know anything about me. Pretty ignorant of you, actually. I have a large house, wife, run a pickup, keep five dogs, I have aircon, IPTV, internet, I eat well - either Thai or foreign food, go out for dinner once a week. Only extra expenses are once a year car insurance and servicing.

Tell me what I'm missing. please. Thanks. I'd be interested to know. And don't bother telling me the house isn't mine. I've been married for nearly 30 years and my wife isn't going to sell it and run off with the money.

Over to you......

I apologise Barry for assuming. What you say is totally great. I have all you say, except a couple of step-kids at school. Sh.t, as soon s they leave home I'll be a rich man.  You do not mention health insurance though.  PML

Edited by stouricks
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Apology accepted. I looked at medical insurance but I'm 71 and insurance companies don't like that. I decided it's better instead to save what I'd pay them, for any circumstances that might arrive. My local hospital is pretty good, and it might help that my wife knows half the staff - a benefit of village communities. If I needed a long stay in hospital then I'd rather fade away at home than in a hospital bed. I suspect that might actually be many people's choice.

Once again Barry, my exact position and thinking. Cheers.