Thailand has not intervened in baht for trade advantage - central bank

So the US is saying that now that the THB is lower its because of government manipulations. 

That is great (not) as Thailand now certainly will not lower the THB as it would worry about the USA.

If anything the THB is still high compared with before. Not sure why the US would think they are manipulating it downwards. 

• Like 2

I'm in Malaysia, and have no idea when I might be able to enter Thailand again... cuz covid. This is the first for me regarding the new banknotes. I have some of the old ones and am wondering how long they will remain valid. Any hints from the powers on high?

10 minutes ago, mohinga said:

I'm in Malaysia, and have no idea when I might be able to enter Thailand again... cuz covid. This is the first for me regarding the new banknotes. I have some of the old ones and am wondering how long they will remain valid. Any hints from the powers on high?

Those notes will be valid for a long time. No worries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

So the US is saying that now that the THB is lower its because of government manipulations. 

That is great (not) as Thailand now certainly will not lower the THB as it would worry about the USA.

If anything the THB is still high compared with before. Not sure why the US would think they are manipulating it downwards. 

So you think that US report, which actually was known already to the Thai government 2 weeks ago, is based on what happened last week in the currency market?

I recall you always claim to be knowledgeable about how currency markets work :coffee1:

Edited by Susco

3 hours ago, Susco said:

So you think that US report, which actually was known already to the Thai government 2 weeks ago, is based on what happened last week in the currency market?

I recall you always claim to be knowledgeable about how currency markets work :coffee1:

Where do i say what happened last week in the currency market ? 

Not sure where you got that from in my post. 

My point is that Thai baht has been high for quite some time and now its a bit lower. But to say that the government is actively manipulating the currency is crazy. They did some interest rate cuts (quite normal). 

But its not as if the baht is really low right now. If anything its still high compared with years before.

Either way, he is responding to the article that said Thailand now meets the three criteria of a currency manipulator.

The USA government has said nothing about it, and probably won’t.  But, they do manipulate trade through high tariffs-and that should be corrected because it causes a large trade imbalance.  Thailand needs to stop living off foreign countries and foreigners.  Start by changing the education system, laws, legal system, corruption...

Correct the laws so foreign companies can play on a level playing field.  Educate the citizens to think analytically, and freely-invest in IT education...and hundreds of other things

I will follow some of Thailand peer currencies to make a judgement of BOT's statement. As much as I can see, all peer currencies like the MYR, Peso, SD, Dong and Rupiahs are also moving in the same trend as Baht. If there are peer currencies that has devalued much, that will be the MYR, Dong and SD which are under US monitoring list.