Thailand drops charges against Red Bull heir in deadly hit-and-run

webfact

Stupidly, it seems, I had a faint hope that they would continue to pursue this at the very least by keeping warrants alive and making his life uncomfortable as far as possible.  An international boycott of Red Bull products is about the only thing I can imagine that would keep the public's eye on the wrong that has been so shamefully done here.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

The third and most serious charge, reckless driving causing death, remains on the books until 2027.

He's not out of the woods yet.

And this case is getting a lot of attention from the National Anti Corruption Commission.   My guess is this case will ultimately lead to stronger action being taken against corrupt Police Officers.  Until the Police Force is squeaky clean there will always be this type of corruption.  

And I for one would 100% try and pay my way out if I was rich and involved in an accident and I bet when push comes to shove, 99% of people would do the same.  Every time one of you slips a traffic cop 100 baht to look the other way you are helping support the system of endemic corruption, so stop bitching about it.  

The difference is. that in the case like this, a foreigner would not get out of it so easily. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Its not the fault of Red Bull, its management, present ownership, or of its Worldwide staff

I grant you that, but as the ultimate source of the family's wealth and power who else has any kind of leverage?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greenside said:

I grant you that, but as the ultimate source of the family's wealth and power who else has any kind of leverage?

Nobody does. This is not interesting or on going news anywhere but here.  The western papers are reporting it, but the west don't give a toss about it, or here for that matter. It will not impact Red Bull in the slightest and those that know Thailand, know what it is like.  This changes nothing.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

No, Yinn, you don't agree.

You're not making arguments for right vs wrong. You're making arguments based off where these criminals come from. You're looking at this like a sports fan looks at his sports team. They defend their sports team through thick and thin. This is something that's commendable and doesn't actually hurt anyone.

What you're doing is saying that Boss' case should be ignored as criminals in other countries get away with crimes. You're saying this because he's Thai and you're Thai. You're treating him like he's on your team and you don't care what he did. Well, he killed someone. A family lost a brother, a son and dad. This ain't sports it's real life.

If other countries have broken justice systems, then aspire to be better. Two wrongs don't make a right. When you defend and ignore this kind of behaviour, you perpetuate it. So if it ever happens to you, you will have zero right to complain. 

You are right, but they don't see it or,

don't want to accept it.

But please continue to whine about it, if it makes you feel better.

I am too old to fight for a lost cause.

Since a few years I live with reality.

Their country, their rules, their way of doing and thinking.

Maybe it will change one day by some.

If they are not muzzled, or worse.

2 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

Why would anyone outside Thailand care enough to start or participate in a Boycott?

Exactly right.  It's a none story outside Thailand and not an interesting or surprising one inside Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder if it is just coincidental that these charges get dropped just as they (finally) get around to investigating and possibly disciplining the police officers who were responsible for the lack of progress in the case ?

• Haha 1

Blood money, purely and simply. Money's #1 in Thailand, takes precedence over life and death. What sort of person accepts money over justice for their child, wife, husband? I know it's a different way of life here, but I just can't put myself in their shoes over this and accept it, I'd be calling for this trud to be strung up by the nadgers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

He'd being flying in and out when ever he please already, drooping the charges just allows him entry offically !!

That's what i think, what copper would have the balls to arrest him and cut the everlasting payments/brown envelopes from his family to the hiso/army trough dwellers higher up in the rankings, it would be more than they dare do!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I will continue to condemn bad ideas. 

Good,  do it, if you feel better with it.

However be aware that the majority of the Thais don't care, and it will go on like this.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

Good,  do it, if you feel better with it.

However be aware that the majority of the Thais don't care, and it will go on like this.

Then you have no need to worry. Let me express condemnation (something we should all do when faced with injustice) while you accept it.