Thailand drops charges against Red Bull heir in deadly hit-and-run

webfact

9 hours ago, luckyluke said:
9 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Then you have no need to worry. Let me express condemnation (something we should all do when faced with injustice) while you accept it. 

Do something, anything, concrete about it,

not only words on a forum behind an anonymous nickname,

and I will review my opinion.

Hear, hear.  They call it "virtue signalling", these days!

53 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Yes, it was an accident and no, you can't do that with premeditation, that would be murder.

Yes, it would be murder. And that’s exactly why Incidents which involve people driving under the influence are not called ‘accidents’. 

An accident implies no one is to blame. As soon as you drive your vehicle drink, you are to blame. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

The one Yinn mentioned are sponsored by the European owner of the Red Bull brand and yes they should have reacted a long time ago to tell the public about the little A hole in Thailand.

They're sponsored by Red Bull, not by "one of the owners"!

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

How the other half (or 1%) live !

If he had been some poor peasant farmer, this would never have happened.

I wonder how the family of the deceased feel about this strange decision ?

What was the reason for dropping the charges, other than the obvious financial offerings?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

80 % of the top of the Thai police should be in jail and we all know why. No respect at all for Thai Police, sorry.

Why?  The RTP wanted this case to proceed, the decision to drop it wasn't theirs, it was the prosecutor's.

15 minutes ago, rkidlad said:
1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Yes, it was an accident and no, you can't do that with premeditation, that would be murder.

Yes, it would be murder. And that’s exactly why Incidents which involve people driving under the influence are not called ‘accidents’. 

An accident implies no one is to blame. As soon as you drive your vehicle drink, you are to blame. 

Give it a rest, in this context, describing it as an accident implies that it wasn't deliberate, that's all, blame doesn't come in to the description of this initial event unless there was deliberate intention.

26 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Who said that he was charged with murder?

“To get away with murder”

“A phrase meaning to succeed In doing whatever ones chooses without being punished or suffering any disadvantage“

I’d say his comment was extremely apt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Give it a rest, in this context, describing it as an accident implies that it wasn't deliberate, that's all, blame doesn't come in to the description of this initial event unless there was deliberate intention.

In the context of the law it doesn’t. And in the context of the law, that’s all that matters. 

He didn’t drop a jar of mustard. He killed a police officer. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you have any evidence to support your assertion on compensation?

IIRC, the amount quoted as being offered/paid at the time of the funeral was paltry.

The amount is not in dispute, it was B3m and that has been widely publicised.

8 hours ago, Proboscis said:
16 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

I am sure they received a payout to keep them quiet.

I presume by "they" you don't mean the dead and injured who received nothing, according to the reports I read.

I'm assuming that by "the dead and injured who received nothing" you mean the one person who died whose relatives received a multi-million baht compensation package?

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, everyone knows if you don’t have a kids or a wife, your life’s monetary value is  less. 

Correct, a friend (drunk) ran over a scooter a few years back, killed both on board.

cost him 200k for the girl as she had a young son and 120k for the boyfriend (not the childs father).

Just now, Bob A Kneale said:

Strangely enough, that is the case when it comes to compensation payments but, then, compensation is not intended to be an indication of the value of a person's life.

Yea, I just stated that.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Correct, a friend (drunk) ran over a scooter a few years back, killed both on board.

cost him 200k for the girl as she had a young son and 120k for the boyfriend (not the childs father).

So?.......

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

I was going to get hypocritical and question ‘why you would be friends with some one who drinks and drives and has killed people’... 

But then I realised that if I was to question my friendship with anyone who drinks and drives I’d have no male Thai friends !!!!! (fortunately none have killed anyone while driving...... Yet).

All this news does is enable their continued behaviour and sense that they can get away with whatever the consequences a may be.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was going to get hypocritical and question ‘why you would be friends with some one who drinks and drives and has killed people’... 

But then I realised that if I was to question my friendship with anyone who drinks and drives I’d have no male Thai friends !!!!! (fortunately none have killed anyone while driving...... Yet).

All this news does is enable their continued behaviour and sense that they can get away with whatever the consequences a may be.

The person is a UK national, owns a bar in Pattaya.

2 hours ago, scammed said:

there should be some advantages of being rich imo,

just a pity the biker dont get justice

Yes, the benefits of being rich is you can buy stuff like Ferarris not pay to evade the law. its wrong on every single level,, all people should be accountable for their actions no matter how big the bank account.. 

Just now, Bob A Kneale said:

...and accidental.

Please check the definitions of the words ‘accidental’ and ‘reckless’ You seem to a have tenuous grasp of the English language. 

Reckless driving isn’t accidental. That’s why it’s called ‘reckless’. 

13 hours ago, luckyluke said:

"the only option we have is to stop buying the sugary products that his family produces" 

It won't hurt them very much, I think. 

On the other hand, if they stop sponsering sport events, I am afraid it would be dramatic for many. 

They sponsor sports events in order to advertise their sugary drinks: the sports events won't boycott RB because without RB they don't exist. However, without customers RB has no money to sponsor sports events with. 

1 minute ago, Bob A Kneale said:

...and accidental.

Big difference between an innocent accident when you are behaving lawfully and causing death because you are speeding whilst pi**ed up and breaking the law. pretty simple to understand, is it not?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SABloke said:

They sponsor sports events in order to advertise their sugary drinks: the sports events won't boycott RB because without RB they don't exist. However, without customers RB has no money to sponsor sports events with. 

Correct, so stop buying, the racing team will find another sponsor. 

1 minute ago, GAZZPA said:

Big difference between an innocent accident when you are behaving lawfully and causing death because you are speeding whilst pi**ed up and breaking the law. pretty simple to understand, is it not?

And high on cocaine. Although this user would most likely argue the coke would have given him more clarity. 

Amazing the things people will defend. 

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No, only the rich get away with it, Thai law enforcement varies based on the size of the brown envelopes provided, makes me sick.