Thailand drops charges against Red Bull heir in deadly hit-and-run

webfact

Finally free ! i'm so happy for him !

But it's so funny to see how the world is full of small people who cannot think further than their nose, as on this thread !

I am sure that if he was your son, you would love to have him jailed for 10 years right ? How can people cannot be able to imagine a different life than their poor man life is really incredible !

Anybody would pay or escape if he could, and only liars would tell the contrary !

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

But the law has been shown to not work for the cop. Plus the "family" would have had a payout anyway, looks like after 8 years the family were offered another windfall to drop charges, but the driver did something where charges cannot be dropped. Dangerous driving.

The family weren't pressing charges, the police were doing that.  Part of the compensation deal was that the family would not proceed with charges against him so there'd be no reason for them to have been offered anything extra.

1 minute ago, SePl said:

Finally free ! i'm so happy for him !

But it's so funny to see how the world is full of small people who cannot think further than their nose, as on this thread !

I am sure that if he was your son, you would love to have him jailed for 10 years right ? How can people cannot be able to imagine a different life than their poor man life is really incredible !

Anybody would pay or escape if he could, and only liars would tell the contrary !

The thread is about charges being dropped. For most, I would think, that is out of order.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:
7 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

There was no murder in this case.

Manslaughter by dangerous driving. He skipped the country because he knew he could get sent down. 

Of course, he did, I haven't disputed that but reckless driving causing death was the charge he faced.

1 minute ago, Bob A Kneale said:

The family weren't pressing charges, the police were doing that.  Part of the compensation deal was that the family would not proceed with charges against him so there'd be no reason for them to have been offered anything extra.

So why drop the charges after 8 years, why not back then...?

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Another member of the "If you don't like it, go home" Club :cheesy: - haven't heard that for a while!

So you think that just because he is "monied" he can do whatever he likes and get away with it? What if one of these "hisos" got high as a kite, got hold of an assault rifle and started blasting his way down Sukhumvit? Would that be OK because he's got money, and it's "part of the culture"?

Yes I think so, and it shows, with money you can get away in Thailand. 

Fair?  No. 

It should not be this way. 

There should be no war, no children should die from hunger, justice should be the same for everyone/everywhere. 

But we all know it is  not like that. 

There is a system in Thailand, the majority of the Thais are agree with it, and use it according their  need. 

I know there is nothing to do about it, and proclaim it, so I am a bad one. 

The good ones are the ones who whine about it anonymously on a forum. 

However we both do nothing concrete about it. 

I (" Bad one" ) will not go to the police station of Thonglor and loudly protest about the situation. 

Neither would the "Good ones" 

But they will sleep wel, after all they protest about the situation on a forum. 

And they may wish me all kind of bad things because "- hey Luckyluke is accepting the unchangeable, what a immoral guy-

What a difference with us.".

I didn't read many of the comments on here, but what I read is just a bunch of sore farang losers with a superiority complex - wasn't there an incident in England where a motorcyclist was run over and killed by an American? how is justice coming in that case?

Fact is - there is a certain caste in every country that is immune to prosecution, move on! nothing to see here!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

That is very old news, that compensation was paid years ago!

Yes, I know, it was written all over the media at the time. 

However there are still ones here who are asking the question. 

Despite even on this very topic it has been posted by me and others many times.

4 minutes ago, transam said:
8 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

So why drop the charges after 8 years, why not back then...?

As I said in the comment that you quoted here, after the relatives agreed to the compensation terms, i.e. they would not press charges, the police were then under pressure to charge him, regardless.

14 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Because the police had the been pressured to, and did, press charges.

What? You said paying off family members for this kind of thing is the legal and common. How is that true if police were pressured to press charges? 

Pressured by who? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:
54 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

No, he didn't, he wasn't charged with murder because, regardless of how you and so many Thaivisa posters choose to look at it, he didn't murder the officer.

the guy got pi**ed up, stoned and drove his ferrari like a looney hitting a policeman and dragging him to his death... dont get hung up on nonsense he is guilty of killing a policeman, full stop.. that policeman was somebodies son or father for goodness sake. the red bull loser should be facing justice. don't defend it for goodness sake. 

You're quite right, sort of, he was charged with reckless driving causing death.  He was not found guilty of anything.

The officer wasn't a father, "for goodness sake", he was single and I am not defending him, I'm simply commenting rationally and objectively.  You may not like that but that is your problem, not mine.

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

If one of my kids killed somebody in such a horrific manner, drunk and coked up they'd have to face the consequences of their actions but I'd also add I'm 100% sure they're not so morally bankrupt to behave in such a way and put themselves in such a position to begin with.

I guess you don't have children. Thai jail for 30 years, they probably die in jail. Nothing to do with morality, alcoholism is a disease.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:
21 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Because the police had the been pressured to, and did, press charges.

What? You said paying off family members for this kind of thing is the legal and common. How is that true if police were pressured to press charges? 

Pressured by who? 

Yes, paying compensation to injured parties is common and legal here.  In cases such as those the victims family may decide that they do not want the accused charges and the case can be closed.

The police were pressured by public opinion, I believe, I think it was reported once or twice.

9 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Yinn, what don't you understand in post 97? 

There is a poster here accusing me of committing injustice. 

I can not let that go. 

Don't worry about it, you're anonymous, no one knows you or cares whether you are accused of committing injustice (whatever "committing injustice" is)

1 minute ago, Mike k said:
5 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Yes, paying compensation to injured parties is common and legal here.  In cases such as those the victims family may decide that they do not want the accused charges and the case can be closed.

The police were pressured by public opinion, I believe, I think it was reported once or twice.

Most civilized countries vehicular homicide is prosecuted by the courts it's not left to the family of the deceased

This case was in Thailand so only Thailand's laws apply, what happens in other countries is irrelevant.

He was charged with reckless driving causing death, he was not charged with "vehicular homicide" even though Thaivisa posters like to misdescribe it that way because that makes the offence sound even worse.

Courts do not prosecute in any country, civilised or otherwise, the prosecution does that.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Let me get this straight. Victim’s families can drop charges if they’re compensated and agree. This is legal and common as you state. The family agreed to this legal precedent so charges were dropped. The police under pressure thought they’d press their own charges even though they had no legal grounds to do so. And if they did, then why did they drop them? $$$

And now 8 years later the police have just worked out they can’t press charges because, well, the law is the law. You’d have thought the Red Bull billionaire’s lawyers would have shot down these charges in seconds. 

Will you say anything? 

30 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

I didn't read many of the comments on here, but what I read is just a bunch of sore farang losers with a superiority complex - wasn't there an incident in England where a motorcyclist was run over and killed by an American? how is justice coming in that case?

Fact is - there is a certain caste in every country that is immune to prosecution, move on! nothing to see here!

Clearly !

But bitter grumpy old foreigners who failed all their life to get any success will never understand this !

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Bears <deleted> all in common the red bull scum bag but in this particular case there has been a small degree of positivity out of that travesty of justice

The furore about the USA dodging justice has led to that loophole being closed. There will not be a repeat of that one no matter who is involved!! 

https://www.foxnews.com/world/harry-dunn-immunity-rule-anne-sacoolas-closed

I believe there is also a interpol red notice for her so she better not be planning any foreign travel as that one won't run out or be rescinded

• Like 1