Thailand drops charges against Red Bull heir in deadly hit-and-run

webfact

14 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

I am sure they received a payout to keep them quiet.

The family received 3 million years ago. Paying compensation to victims in lieu of prosecution is actually codified in the Thai Criminal Code, and known as a compoundable offence.

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Let me get this straight. Victim’s families can drop charges if they’re compensated and agree. This is legal and common as you state. The family agreed to this legal precedent so charges were dropped. The police under pressure thought they’d press their own charges even though they had no legal grounds to do so. And if they did, then why did they drop them? $$$

And now 8 years later the police have just worked out they can’t press charges because, well, the law is the law. You’d have thought the Red Bull billionaire’s lawyers would have shot down these charges in seconds. 

Will you say anything? 

"The police under pressure thought they’d press their own charges even though they had no legal grounds to do so".

I did not say that the police in that situation would have no legal grounds to do so, you're the one who said that.

"And now 8 years later the police have just worked out they can’t press charges..."

It's the public prosecutor that decides if the charges that the police make can proceed to court,.  The police recommend charges, the prosecutor decides if they should go ahead (or be dropped!).

9 hours ago, todlad said:

I read recently that he paid the family 1 million Baht. All warrants and red notices were a sham.

Where did you read that?  

It's well-know, and has been publicised, that his relatives were paid B3m, years ago.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

34 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

I didn't read many of the comments on here, but what I read is just a bunch of sore farang losers with a superiority complex - wasn't there an incident in England where a motorcyclist was run over and killed by an American? how is justice coming in that case?

Fact is - there is a certain caste in every country that is immune to prosecution, move on! nothing to see here!

Well, what you forgot to mention is that the American is a diplomat. She claimed diplomatic immunity and quickly left the UK. The UK are currently pushing for the Americans to send her back so they can sentence her. She has formally been charged. This whole saga is pretty awful and is being criticized by many who want to see justice. I hope she goes to prison for what she did. See, you can have two different thoughts in your head at the same time. 

I guess the US diplomat can now reference this Red Bull heir hit-and-run case as an excuse to get off. Apparently that’s how works, right? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob A Kneale said:
9 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Yinn this is a Thailand news web forum, about Thailand. If you want to talk about Amerika, many places on the WW web to find them.

It's up to you what members post here, now, is it?  Geez...

Up to me, no, but of course I did not say that did I? 

However as this is a Thailand forum so the favorite  ... "But what about"  --------- Washtucna, Rostov, or what about Regina?  ......... The Whataboutery deflection will be pointed out, and criticized. If this upsets you, perhaps tissue next to the keyboard. It's an idea.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"The police under pressure thought they’d press their own charges even though they had no legal grounds to do so".

I did not say that the police in that situation would have no legal grounds to do so, you're the one who said that.

"And now 8 years later the police have just worked out they can’t press charges..."

It's the public prosecutor that decides if the charges that the police make can proceed to court,.  The police recommend charges, the prosecutor decides if they should go ahead (or be dropped!).

Yes, so I’m asking you - if the police can press charges (which they of course should) then why would they drop them? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, luckyluke said:
9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Drunk driving with cocaine in his system! Accident?

Is accident for Yinn and many Thais, when perpetrator is rich. 

Are you saying that if he wasn't rich he would have been charged with something more serious than being the perpetrator of the accident that it was?  If so, what could he have been charged with?

1 minute ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Are you saying that if he wasn't rich he would have been charged with something more serious than being the perpetrator of the accident that it was?  If so, what could he have been charged with?

What was an accident? 

8 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:
58 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:
10 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Yinn this is a Thailand news web forum, about Thailand. If you want to talk about Amerika, many places on the WW web to find them.

It's up to you what members post here, now, is it?  Geez...

Up to me, no, but of course I did not say that did I? 

Yes, you did, what else does this mean?...

"Yinn this is a Thailand news web forum, about Thailand. If you want to talk about Amerika, many places on the WW web to find them. Make it so!"

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, so I’m asking you - if the police can press charges (which they of course should) then why would they drop them? 

I'd guess because the prosecutor has told them to drop the charges, it's his decision once the police have passed the case to him.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

Its hardly worth getting too upset over this decision , total disgrace but we all knew it would happen.

What is does do is completely put to bed the lie that the military goverments takeover was in any way connected to making Thailand more equitable and less corrupt.

• Like 1

Just now, gravia said:

Maybe they will drop all the charges against the Taksin familly they never killed any one. some how I don't think so

Wont do they, they would have to unfreeze the assets they have squandered !!!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Fair enough, I was asking as it was all over the Thai news outlets 2 months ago they had revoked the passport.

Fair enough, surprising that it wasn't mentioned here, though, imagine the clicks Thaivisa would have got for that as well as this thread.

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So obviously my next question is; why did the prosecutor drop the charges? 

Better ask him that, not me but nowhere have I disputed the financial assertions that everyone else is making here, and I assume that's what you're getting at?

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I think they should all be singled out. It's just we're commentating on a thread about the Red Bull killer. 

Also, a massive case like this could be a catalyst for some meaningful change. 

But that's only your perception of massive.

9 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

The situation that involved Vorayuth and The police officer, what else?

"Vorayuth was accused of crashing his black Ferrari into a policeman on a motorcycle in Bangkok and fleeing the scene, dragging the officer’s body for several dozen metres. Thai authorities finally issued an arrest warrant for Vorayuth five years after the accident, after he missed eight legal summons."

Accident? And why did it take 5 YEARS to issue an arrest warrant? And why did he miss 8 (EIGHT!!!) legal summons(es)?

So many unanswered questions!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kadilo said:

You would assume a deal has been done all round to get to this point. 

There is always a deal to be done in Thailand.  Money is the only true god and Thai people worship it in their millions.  Everything can be glossed over if the brown envelopes are fat enough.

It is only foreigners that don't understand Thai culture whereas Thai people will just shrug their shoulders and tell you it is normal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

The same posters that stand for a lefty society, student riots, anyone whoes made it, and even dislike ferangs here that are happy, you never make one inquirery such as the loss and hurt to the Policeman's Children , Wife etc......

I get your point but there was no wife or children.

5 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Fair enough, surprising that it wasn't mentioned here, though, imagine the clicks Thaivisa would have got for that as well as this thread.

Actually my dates are way off, I only googled it and saw all the results... this one made me think it was a few months ago but opening it and it was May 2017 they revoked it.

boss.jpg.30462b106a88cdba0115cbac10cacff6.jpg

• Like 2