Looking for new laptop

poohy

Just as it says

My current Acer aspire is about 6 years old and struggling, the previous Acer lasted about 8 years both travelled extensively. with me got knocked about

Now not travelling 

My needs are

Internet youtube etc (getting banned on Thaivisa that sort of thing)

Music

emails

streaming 

Odd bit of Excel or word work

Do not require DVD

I do keep photos on it so i need a bit of memory

Don't need stupidly large screen 11 to 13 inch  is ok 

Windows 10 operating system

Whats the best cheap n cheerful laptop ??

Now i don't want reconditioned or second hand or chromebook or tablet dont want to pay a fortune (as little as possible) not fussed about brand as long as its not an unknown

Preferably  dont want brick thing but i suspect thin ones are not cheap

Ta!! in advance for any ideas if these any one knowledgeable around

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Notebooks in a nutshell: You can't go wrong with Lenovo or Dell. Never buy Acer.

Well the company did

Thanks for your suggestion So what cheap thin wonderful Lenovos or Dell are there

i think i've  heard of Lenovo i thought dell had gone out business years ago

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, poohy said:

Well the company did

Thanks for your suggestion So what cheap thin wonderful Lenovos or Dell are there

Been  using  dell  xps 13's  for  years but they start at  about 800squid  in the UK, make  sure you get one with an ssd   drive not a  wind  up 5000rpm whirly disc  thingymummy?

• Thanks 1

i have been looking to replace my oldish i7, these ones look to be faster than my old one the i3- 1005G1 combined with a ssd hdd, all with windows 10 pre installed, should fit your needs all less than 13,000thb if you shop around

Asus Vivobook X509JA-EJ141T i3-1005G1/4GB/512GB SSD/Integrated Graphics/15.6"FHD/Win10Pro/SLATE GREY

Dell Inspiron 3593 (W566115401OPPZTHW10) i3-1005G1/4GB/256GB M.2 SSD/Integrated Graphics/15.6"FHD/Win10Home/Black

Dell Inspiron 3593 (W566055106OPPTHW10) i3-1005G1/4GB/1TB HDD/Integrated Graphics/15.6" FHD/Win10Home/Black,Silver,White

Edited by steve187
big font
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laptops are a commodity and almost all are made in China.  Every brand has models that are good and bad.  You could get Dell model AAAA which is great or get a Dell model BBBB and is nothing but trouble.

Searching for the best brands online is almost useless since most of the websites are fake and probably get paid.

Assuming you are buying in Thailand, go for the best warranty.

Get an SSD (as mentioned above) check your present computer for how much storage you currently use.  128 is probably too small and 1TG is probably too big.

For a mid priced laptop, I would go for an Intel I5 gen 8 or 10, or an AMD Ryzen 3xxx.  Ryzen 4xxx is the best you can get right now but harder to find and more expensive.

Check for the ports and connectivity that need.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Notebooks in a nutshell: You can't go wrong with Lenovo or Dell. Never buy Acer.

"You can't go wrong with Lenovo". ?????????? I have a Lenovo Desktop All in One. A Laptop 2 in one, and

a tablet, all have been problematic. Lost count of the number of times I have had to take them to a dealer. I will never buy Lenovo again.

19 hours ago, poohy said:

Well the company did

I'd be wary of buying Lenovo touch screen, I had numerous problems, no help whatever from Lenovo, local sales outlet (in Chiang Mai) insisted the problem I was describing was just not possible.

In my searching for an answer I found 10 other folks (globally) with same problem. I'm not a techie, In my naivety I tried about 7 different virus etc., applications, didn't fix the problem.

Then I found another comment that the problem was within the actual set-up of the touch screen workings on the machine, plus a comment that users cannot fix the problem, and full details of how to turn off the touch screen facility.

I did that and the problem stopped instantly. I waited an hour and turned it on again, problem came back instantly, turned it off again, used it for several years with no touch screen. 

Thanks for advice both previous laptops were purchased in BKK as i was working there

i am now in the sticks but will probably resort to buying somewhat locally if i can in hua hin if not it's a trip to BKK

Interestingly  a friend a computer geek running a computers dept for a   company maintains any laptop over 4 years old is junk

21 hours ago, poohy said:

Whats the best cheap n cheerful laptop ??

second hand Thinkpad

Now i don't want reconditioned or second hand

it can't be cheap n cheerful then :D

20 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

You can't go wrong with Lenovo

all Lenovos suck except old Thinkpads. Few years old Thinkpads somewhat suck too. The latest Thinkpads suck hard.

19 hours ago, steve187 said:

i have been looking to replace my oldish i7, these ones look to be faster than my old one the i3- 1005G1 combined with a ssd hdd, all with windows 10 pre installed, should fit your needs all less than 13,000thb if you shop around

Asus Vivobook X509JA-EJ141T i3-1005G1/4GB/512GB SSD/Integrated Graphics/15.6"FHD/Win10Pro/SLATE GREY

Dell Inspiron 3593 (W566115401OPPZTHW10) i3-1005G1/4GB/256GB M.2 SSD/Integrated Graphics/15.6"FHD/Win10Home/Black

Dell Inspiron 3593 (W566055106OPPTHW10) i3-1005G1/4GB/1TB HDD/Integrated Graphics/15.6" FHD/Win10Home/Black,Silver,White

Forget anything fitted with an HDD. Not sure as to why you would link to such a thing.

I would also skip anything without an IPS screen.

Lastly, a six year old laptop shouldn't be for the scrap heap. The one that I am using is more than double that age. A simple upgrade from HDD to SSD should bring his current laptop up to spec. 1,000 baht as opposed to 13,000 baht.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"You can't go wrong with Lenovo". ?????????? I have a Lenovo Desktop All in One. A Laptop 2 in one, and

a tablet, all have been problematic. Lost count of the number of times I have had to take them to a dealer. I will never buy Lenovo again.

Me too, my Lenovo died after 2 years. I would never buy another.

• Thanks 1

Just now, PeachCH said:

Since one year have a CHUWI laptop. Better and more fast than my Acer. Buyed from Lazada during a special clearance sale for 10000 Peso = around 6500 BAHT. Great deal. Lazada still sells CHUWI products. 

As long as you don't expect any support whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Me too, my Lenovo died after 2 years. I would never buy another.

As fdsa suggests, avoid their consumer rubbish. They are just meant to entice the gullible public with shiny bells and whistles and are usually made down to a price.

44 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Now i don't want reconditioned or second hand

it can't be cheap n cheerful then ????

Ok i will be a little more specific no more than 15K THB obviously less would be even better

Re the previous Acers they have both  been lugged around the world a few times deserts sand dust.. both dropped more than  once ,.oops

the new one if and when i buy will just be a pet not a workhorse

the current one has cracked body, inoperable CD drive, battery dead or dying plus  its getting slower by minute ..(no malare and not overloaded in anyway)

yes if i could find a good local guy to refurbish  it would be ok i suppose  .. but not much in that department in prachuap

Edited by poohy

20 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

This means either you misunderstood him or that he is an idiot.

Likely what he meant is that corporations usually change their devices when the warranty runs out, usually three years.

So, many high quality bargains come on to the market at these times. Hence fdsa's suggestion of a second user ThinkPad. You can get top of the range business laptops for a song. The alternative is plasticky, compromised consumer crud.

Big fan of old Think Pads ... I know many other have had problems with Lenovo - I would never buy a 'consumer' Lenovo .. always a ThinkPad .. I am writing this on a X201 - Upgraded with a SSD and max RAM - Had to change the fan once .... For work and graphic stuff I use a ThinkPad P50.  I would never buy a new laptop - Only second hand ThinkPads ....

I have refurbish several for friends and family over time ... Best bargain .. easy to repair and lots of good Youtube videos for strip down etc ...  Spares and multi lingual keyboards easy to find. 

If you still have your old laptop - I would change the HDD for a SSD ... If the rest of the computer is ok - You will see a huge performance improvement.

new laptop:  Intel 8th or 10 gen chip OR Amd Ryzen 3xxx or 4xxx series.  Acer, Asus, Dell, or HP should be.  Acer is pretty ubiquitous and easy to repair or find replacement parts when it gets older.  8gb ram minimum, 12+GB recommended (if it comes with 4gb, just buy 8gb stick and immediately upgrade).   SSD drive a must, preferably Nvme m.2 ssd drive as primary.  You can have hdd as secondary drive.   But why not just have 2 ssds and sell off the hdd?

Also recommend that you try to get laptop that has a side vent or vent in back such that you can add a vacuum suction cooler fan to it.   The laptops that have 100% of vents on the bottom only is poor ventilation strategy IMO.   

And try to get one where the ram / hdd has an access panel where you can easily open it and upgrade without having to take off the whole bottom panel.   Again, this is more difficult because newer models seem to be pushing towards unibody model.

----

Re your old laptop:  replace hdd with ssd and increase ram.   put windows 10 ltsc on it.   Then it will run very fast, and can be used as a spare.  The old hdd can be used as extra space; can put it in DVD HDD tray as a spare drive.  (OS + main programs are installed on the SSD).  Or give it to someone.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Dell ssd Inspiron 3580. Made in China. It's been the worst experience ever with a laptop. I will never buy another Chinese made computer (especially after CV19). 

There are several brands that are non-Chinese. The list is as follows:
Micromax (India), Samsung (South Korea), Toshiba (Japan), Fujitsu (Japan), Microsoft (United States), 
Panasonic (Japan), Sharp (Japan), LG - Gram (South Korea)

A good way to shop online is at invadeIT (www.invadeit.co.th). I've not bought a computer there, but used them for printer ink cartridges. Really good prices and availability.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Thanks 1

Another thing not mentioned here, are the poor screens on some of these consumer laptops. Poor brightness levels(even worse if they use PWM to control brightness levels, as the flickering can induce headaches), colour reproduction and viewing angles.

14.0" 200nits FHD 1920x1080 16:9 Anti-Glare NTSC: 45% being a typical spec at that price point. 

200 nits is low. Possibly not even being able to view the contents if using the laptop outside. No mention of WVA(wide viewing angle) or IPS means poor viewing angle. I'll leave out the colour reproduction at this stage.

You have to be careful to look for the caveats. They might bump up one aspect of performance but omit another. So whilst you are wowed by the CPU, you fail to notice that there is no HDMI output or that it has a very poor screen or an unsuitable design for when it comes swapping RAM or storage or inadequate cooling methods.

Proper business class laptops are designed for quick and easy servicing. Swap RAM and storage in seconds. Consumer laptop just designed to look good. So not unusual to have to take the whole thing apart to upgrade RAM and/or storage.

All things of which to take note.

• Like 2

Purchased a Jumper EZBook X3 from Amazon at £170. 6gb ram. 13 inch screen. Very happy with it, so far (2 months now). No hard drive. Internal SSD  card @128 suffices for startup applications. Purchased another 128 gb San Disk for file folder and will buy an SSD M2 2242 NVMIE of about 250 gig at some time as they are dropping in price daily. Jumper is a very thin notebook, a Chinese brand. Dont see on Lazada unfortunately.  A lot of notebooks now upping the ram to 6 gb now. Some are at 8. SSD is a definite internal or external.  Good luck.  Now only £159. ouch,  I should have waited.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/13-3-inch-notebook-processor-supports-expansion/dp/B07WGT7KHS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=notebook+jumper+ezbook+x3&qid=1595677714&s=computers&smid=A34MNU3SM9ENV8&sr=1-3

• Like 1