Looking for new laptop

poohy

On 7/24/2020 at 3:26 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

Notebooks in a nutshell: You can't go wrong with Lenovo or Dell. Never buy Acer.

Clearly ! acer was good until 10 years ago, now they are full krap.

Lenovo is selling the best cheap laptop of the world.

9 hours ago, PeachCH said:

Since one year have a CHUWI laptop. Better and more fast than my Acer. Buyed from Lazada during a special clearance sale for 10000 Peso = around 6500 BAHT. Great deal. Lazada still sells CHUWI products. 

https://chuwi.aliexpress.com/store/2179113?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000061.1.406d56037UaVKj

I bought a Chuwi  UBook Pro 8gb 256 ssd 3M-81300Y processor 505 USD. Hybrid Tablet ( on the looks a M&Surface…, same size and weight )

Very satisfied with it 

Edited by david555

On 7/24/2020 at 9:26 AM, AndyAndyAndy said:

Notebooks in a nutshell: You can't go wrong with Lenovo or Dell. Never buy Acer.

I currently, and have had for many years, laptops (personal and business) from all three above. Currently have 8 laptops. Acer are cheaper, lenovo mid range and Dell more expensive and more powerful. Writing this on XPS13 (i7, 16gb Ram, 512gb SSD, 13 inch screen - but expensive). I think Lenovo maybe best option for your needs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

Make sure it has an SSD, makes a huge difference.

At least 8mb Ram memory and an SSD of any size for performance (you can also plug in external disk drive via USB for more storage) 

13 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

If you lilve in BKK take amini van out to rangsit and ZEER rangsit.  Many different brands to look at and ou can shop and compare.

3 years ago I bought my Lenovo 14" i3 laptop at Future Park Rangsit. Top floor. Plenty of choice. 

10 hours ago, poohy said:

i am now in the sticks but will probably resort to buying somewhat locally if i can in hua hin if not it's a trip to BKK

Probably not much in HH (Market Village or BluPort). I went to Advice in HH and some of the other tech stores parallel to the railway track but very limited laptop stock. I was looking for a 4G Router not a laptop and in the end ordered online with JIB Computers who gave EXCELLENT service, choice and prices (I also bought a monitor from one of their JIB stores in Surin a month earlier). No reason for a trip to BKK unless you need a great night out!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Another thing not mentioned here, are the poor screens on some of these consumer laptops. Poor brightness levels(even worse if they use PWM to control brightness levels, as the flickering can induce headaches), colour reproduction and viewing angles.

14.0" 200nits FHD 1920x1080 16:9 Anti-Glare NTSC: 45% being a typical spec at that price point. 

200 nits is low. Possibly not even being able to view the contents if using the laptop outside. No mention of WVA(wide viewing angle) or IPS means poor viewing angle. I'll leave out the colour reproduction at this stage.

You have to be careful to look for the caveats. They might bump up one aspect of performance but omit another. So whilst you are wowed by the CPU, you fail to notice that there is no HDMI output or that it has a very poor screen or an unsuitable design for when it comes swapping RAM or storage or inadequate cooling methods.

Agree. The cheaper ACER I bought has rather good specs but terrible screen quality.

9 hours ago, scammed said:

i use external monitor/mouse/keyboard and it works miracles for ergonomic,

not to mention i dont spill tea on the laptop bu rather on the external 200 baht keyboard

With a external monitor, keyboard and mouse your laptop can be as good as any tower PC (unless you need ultimate power for gaming). I have used this setup for over 20 years now and it works perfect for me.  

Bought an ASUS laptop 4 years ago, been a great little machine and I plan to keep it a few more years.

Only thing is it has a touch screen and I must have actually “ touched “ the screen about 8 times in the last 4 years, it’s just so alien !! I have a keyboard and a mouse already.

Touchscreens are for phones and tablets !!

My point is, don’t be hoodwinked into thinking a touchscreen on a laptop is a great idea, it’s not, it’s a sales gimmick ( IMHO ).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

With a external monitor, keyboard and mouse your laptop can be as good as any tower PC (unless you need ultimate power for gaming). I have used this setup for over 20 years now and it works perfect for me.  

nearly the same here, estimating 15 years and its never going to change,

its such a downgrade if either fail that i let the puter collect dust until i got the new spare

Edited by scammed
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

At least 8mb Ram memory and an SSD of any size for performance (you can also plug in external disk drive via USB for more storage) 

Oops meant to say 8GB of Ram (8mb was cutting edge circa 1994)