Immigration announcement

I finally got these ridiculous, long awaited stamps, and my school has sent my documents off to immigration for my Non-B. 

In another piece of recent news, education officials are pressuring the govt to ease the Non-B requirements, to hurry up and give waiting teachers their visas. Maybe now I could've done without the stamps, hah.

IMG_20200723_064947.jpg

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

.../...

I have skipped 2 of them. I was planning on the taking a TM47 for with me when I apply or my annual extension in about 2 weeks anyway. That would mean I would not need to a do report until November.

I also skipped 2 of them and was hoping..."dreaming" of not having to do it until November and the renewal of my extension of stay ... TIT ! and I am so busy at Uni that i don't know when i can manage to do it !

57 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

so if i came here on a visa-exempt  ( and have not yet used my 30-day extension option ), can i then show up on 26 september and use my 30-day extension ?

I would say if you have an embassy letter requesting another 30 your case will be looked at and decided on.

1 hour ago, greggraham said:

Came in on 60 day tourist visa which expired at the start of March.

Got +30 day extension.

Got the COVID +30 extension (which it turns out I didn't need).

Now on Amnesty.

I got married this week (yay!), can I apply for the +60 to visit my wife? And if so, it would start from Sept 27th? Thanks cc/ @ubonjoe

I'd wait ........ cos there'll probably be another 'amnesty' until the end of the year.

Applying now will waste your 1,900bht, and use your 60 day option. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

I am on a marriage visa. Have NOT yet used my 60 days extension to visit my wife. Looks like I can apply now and it will start on September 27th for another 60 days, meaning I'm good until late November?

In all honesy I would say get the 400,000 in the bank now 

( if you don"t have it already ) or proof of income and apply for the 12 month extension just before 26 Sept.

• Like 1

Immigration does NOT extend VISAS !!!

Immigration extends "permission to stay" which is the ENTRY STAMP in your Passport

you get on arrival with date of entry on the top and date to leave on the bottom !!! [It is the square stamp !]

What they have done is, they have extended the ENTRY STAMP of everybody to the 26.Sep !!!

Just imagine the entry stamp in your passport says on the bottom date: 26.Sep.

They have EXTENDED your permission of stay without you going to the Immigration office

to avoid crowds there. Which makes total sense.

Any NEW extension of stay will always start when the entry stamp ends ! 27.Sept.2020 !

IF you have entered on a valid visa where the permission of stay can be extended to 1 year [ED, B, O]

then you can go to Immigration and apply for extension of stay.

If you entered on a TR visa or without visa [visa exempt] then your stay ends on 26.September as there is no reason to extend any longer

unless you can't leave !

Visa exempt: Entry 30 days + extension 30 days = 60 days in total max.

TR Visa: Entry 60 days + extension 30 days = 90 days in total max.

In both cases [Visa exempt or TR] you have been here for about 6 month !!! Holidays are over.

The big question is what happens to the people who need a new visa or want to go from being tourists to  Non Immigrant O or B visa !

this needs to clarified with local Immigration office as every office handles this differently.

Be aware that this seems to be a money making machine for Immigration as normaly you would have to leave Thailand to get a visa !!!

Doors for corruption are wide open !!! 

Hope this clarifies how this all actually really works.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, brain150 said:

Immigration does NOT extend VISAS !!!

Immigration extends "permission to stay" which is the ENTRY STAMP in your Passport

you get on arrival with date of entry on the top and date to leave on the bottom !!! [It is the square stamp !]

What they have done is, they have extended the ENTRY STAMP of everybody to the 26.Sep !!!

Just imagine the entry stamp in your passport says on the bottom date: 26.Sep.

They have EXTENDED your permission of stay without you going to the Immigration office

to avoid crowds there. Which makes total sense.

Any NEW extension of stay will always start when the entry stamp ends ! 27.Sept.2020 !

IF you have entered on a valid visa where the permission of stay can be extended to 1 year [ED, B, O]

then you can go to Immigration and apply for extension of stay.

If you entered on a TR visa or without visa [visa exempt] then your stay ends on 26.September as there is no reason to extend any longer

unless you can't leave !

Visa exempt: Entry 30 days + extension 30 days = 60 days in total max.

TR Visa: Entry 60 days + extension 30 days = 90 days in total max.

In both cases [Visa exempt or TR] you have been here for about 6 month !!! Holidays are over.

The big question is what happens to the people who need a new visa or want to go from being tourists to  Non Immigrant O or B visa !

this needs to clarified with local Immigration office as every office handles this differently.

Be aware that this seems to be a money making machine for Immigration as normaly you would have to leave Thailand to get a visa !!!

Doors for corruption are wide open !!! 

Hope this clarifies how this all actually really works.

As you say  clarification will come from your local Imm'.

Comments on here, including mine, are our interpretations and cannot be taken as 'this is how it is', let's call them our best guesses.

The decisions of your local office is how it will be.

17 minutes ago, brain150 said:

This sounds logical, but this is not how they handled it in the past.

The graphic does now say that this is how they will do it, but I'm still not certain if all immigration offices will actually handle it like this.

I did an extension today for a retirement ending 21 August and was given 12 months from that date as in 20th August 2021, the 27th of September amnesty wasnt considered and the 90 day report was done again from todays date.... so nothing gained from the amnesty, was concerned if i had left it until the end of September may of had to start with a new non 0 all over again not just renew the expired extension.

All seems such a load of nonsense, and expense to stay here and contribute to the economy.... you have to really love this place or have masochistic tendencies to go through the ludicrous immigration hoops.

Taken literally, it seems they are very strict with those here on entries from tourist visas, visa exempt and so on. Do others interpret the announcement as indicating that those on tourist entries will not be able to request (most) kinds of regular extension, even if they have not used them before? Very significantly, it suggests that those on tourist entries will not be able to make use of a 60-day extension to visit their Thai spouse and/or child(ren). I think the implication, also, is that (without using an agent) you will not be able to convert your tourist entry into a non immigrant entry by applying for a visa at immigration.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

So my non o marriage extension applied for on 21st July and under consideration till 20th August will be, if approved, effective from 20th August or 27th September?

Your post suggests that this is your first ‘extension’. I would imagine that it will run from the approval date on the basis that the marriage extension supersedes the amnesty that applied to your non O visa.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Taken literally

If taken literally, then people with long term visas can only apply for the extension which matches their visa. This would mean that somebody who entered with a retirement visa could only apply for a retirement extension, somebody who entered with a marriage visa could only get a marriage extension and so on. I assume this graphic is not to be taken literally, it's also not complete, and individual immigration offices might do things different from what we see on this graphic.

45 minutes ago, sapson said:

I did an extension today for a retirement ending 21 August and was given 12 months from that date as in 20th August 2021, the 27th of September amnesty wasnt considered and the 90 day report was done again from todays date.... so nothing gained from the amnesty, was concerned if i had left it until the end of September may of had to start with a new non 0 all over again not just renew the expired extension.

The new amnesty rules won't become official until they have been printed in the Royal Gazette and most likely will not start until the 1st of August.   

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Your post suggests that this is your first ‘extension’. I would imagine that it will run from the approval date on the basis that the marriage extension supersedes the amnesty that applied to your non O visa.

Yes. It is my first extension. Did it 5 days too early it seems. So my 1 year starts from July 21st or August 20th?

21 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

This extract from the Immigration Bureau notice suggests otherwise. It will be interesting to see if johnny1966’s application will be treated differently as he applied before this notification.

910B880F-64E9-41C5-B6B1-75137F8FAC01.png

5 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

This extract from the Immigration Bureau notice suggests otherwise. It will be interesting to see if johnny1966’s application will be treated differently as he applied before this notification.

910B880F-64E9-41C5-B6B1-75137F8FAC01.png

I interpret it as being for applications made from "now", not 5 days ago?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

Yes. It is my first extension. Did it 5 days too early it seems. So my 1 year starts from July 21st or August 20th?

This may confuse you further as it appears to suggest 275 days after the expiry of your current 90 day permission.

I hope you come back and advise what date they start from.....I am intrigued now.

https://thailawonline.com/en/others/immigration-law/extension-based-on-marriage.html

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

This may confuse you further as it appears to suggest 275 days after the expiry of your current 90 day permission.

I hope you come back and advise what date they start from.....I am intrigued now.

https://thailawonline.com/en/others/immigration-law/extension-based-on-marriage.html

My 90 day permission expired April 16th, applied for extension under Amnesty.

14 hours ago, eyup said:

What's unclear to me is what happens to people who already extended on a tourist visa then were given the extension/amnesty until 31 July . I'm sorta reading that if you can't come up with one of the reasons to extend further then they will tell you to get out ASAP and not give you another extension As for letters from embassy, last week UK embassy told me they weren't issuing letters. That may have changed after this announcement? 

That is how I see it at this time.... but you are talking of people who arrived as tourists and chose not to get out when there was plenty of opportunity in the earlier days before amnesty, and then remained when there was amnesty. Can't be tourists forever.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, darrendsd said:

I;m on a ED visa (finished in May) so i am on the amnesty - my agent has just spoke to Immigration in Hua Hin who have told her I don't need to do anything - no need to visit Immigration

However to point out she does know I will not be leaving on or before Sep 26

That would mean that they don't have a solution for expired Visas. At the moment. 

I would wait for an announcement over the announcement and after the 2. announcement is made I would go to my local immigration and ask how they handle the announcement.

It's weird that tourists would be allowed to switch to another Visa inside the country and expired Visas based on study have to leave. ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

I wonder why immigration always come up with weird dates that nobody can remember. Wouldn't it have been better to state end of September instead of 26 which is just a few days away?

Fortune teller on the corner told them of this day........their word is gospel it seems...u owe me 100 bt btw...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, sapson said:

All seems such a load of nonsense, and expense to stay here and contribute to the economy.... you have to really love this place or have masochistic tendencies to go through the ludicrous immigration hoops.

As the amnesty only affected 90 day reporting if you were already on an extension for retirement or being married then renewal dstes are as they were pre-amnesty. 26th Sept doesn't come into it.

13 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

so if i came here on a visa-exempt  ( and have not yet used my 30-day extension option ), can i then show up on 26 september and use my 30-day extension ?

In regards to tourist/exempt, you better be preparing to leave by Sept 26. No extensions will be given without a letter from your embassy. For thai immigration, a tourist is someone who stays a short period of time and returns to their home country. Whether we agree with that or not, that is how they see it. There are plenty of flights for people to return home. Even more so by september obviously. So having been here for 6 months as a tourist already they will have no sympathy. 

Edited by at15
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, bestie said:

That would mean that they don't have a solution for expired Visas. At the moment. 

I would wait for an announcement over the announcement and after the 2. announcement is made I would go to my local immigration and ask how they handle the announcement.

It's weird that tourists would be allowed to switch to another Visa inside the country and expired Visas based on study have to leave. ?

It is not about the VISA - it is about the "permission to stay" or ENTRY STAMP !!!

As long as your "permission of stay" is not expired you can extend it if you are on a VISA that allows for extension of stay.

... my VISA expired in 2006 but my ENTRY STAMP was extended ever since then !!! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

So my non o marriage extension applied for on 21st July and under consideration till 20th August will be, if approved, effective from 20th August or 27th September?

You extension will start from the day your current permit to stay ends.

It will not start on the August 20th or September 27th.

10 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

That is only for those applying for short stay extensions such as tourists and multiple entry visas. They don't want everybody showing up to do there extension shortly before September 26th and making sure it is clear the extension will start on the 27th not the day you apply.

Everything for those on long stay extensions will not change. It is just trying to say they need to be done when you normally would do them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, brain150 said:

It is not about the VISA - it is about the "permission to stay" or ENTRY STAMP !!!

As long as your "permission of stay" is not expired you can extend it if you are on a VISA that allows for extension of stay.

... my VISA expired in 2006 but my ENTRY STAMP was extended ever since then !!! 

Ok, but in case of an expired ED Visa, like he said, it's unlikely that his permission of stay is still valid. In case of an ED Visa you have to get a new Visa every year you can't extend your permission of stay and after 12 Month it's time to get a new Visa. You have to leave the country.  

1 minute ago, bestie said:

Ok, but in case of an expired ED Visa, like he said, it's unlikely that his permission of stay is still valid. In case of an ED Visa you have to get a new Visa every year you can't extend your permission of stay and after 12 Month it's time to get a new Visa. You have to leave the country.  

Depends on the type of school. For attending a non-formal school the maximum duration is one year. But to study at a formal school (for example at a university), such a limit doesn't exist, it can be extended as long as he studies there.