Immigration announcement

I called 1178 regarding the 90 day reports, because the info on this info graphic is imho wrong.

First i confirmed that they know what the cabinet decided. They are aware that the cabinet decided no 90 day reports required until 26th September.

So after i had confirmed that they know the facts i started with: I saw the graphic on your website which says we have to do the 90 day report from 1-31 August, so this is wrong?

Him: You have time to do your 90 day report until 26th September.

Me: So the graphic is wrong?

Him: Just do it before 26th September.

As we can see, he indirectly said that the graphic is wrong, but avoided to say so directly.

I wonder if it would be so difficult to say for example "yes, you are right, the graphic is wrong, we will fix it" or maybe something like "we want to avoid having many hundred people in the immigration office at end of September, thus we tell everybody to come August 1-31".

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

I hope Ubonjoe can answer this. My ED-visa expired 30 April.

All I needed was a border run but wasn't possible at the time.

Since then on amnesty.

What are my options?

You can now stay until September 26th.

If you need a new visa you may be able to apply for one at immigrating. Check with your local office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

So now 90 day reporting is not deferred to September 26?

Now you have to do it by August 31 if you did not report by July 31?

Is that correct?

If is certainly deferred until September 26th according to what the cabinet approved.

I think the August 31st date is a suggestion for those that normally need to do 90 day reports due to being on long stay extensions.

Those the entered as tourists and on multiple entry visa can still skip them if they want to.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Seems to me that he was just giving you his best advice. 90 day reporting is pretty easy, why not just follow his advice and do it?

It's not so much about my personal situation, but a general clarification.

Let's say you entered as a tourist early this year, maybe got an extension and were then under the amnesty since 26th March. Your plan is to stay in Thailand until September and then fly out. Quite many of these people would have to do a 90 day report about now, because it has been 90 days since they entered or got an extension.

According to the immigration info graphic, these people need to do a 90 day report from August 1-31.

But because 90 day reports are actually not required until 26th September, these people can just fly out in September, having no obligation to submit a 90 day report.

I guess in the next few days when these graphics go around, we will see tourists asking here on Thaivisa about their 90 day report, or tourists who actually visit immigration to do the 90 day report, and wasting their and the IOs time.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, david555 said:

the existing 1 year ret ext. just keep same , on their same period to renew, only those outside Thailand with expiring ret. ext. shall be needed to start all over whenever (?) they can come back in to Thailand  

Yes. Totally different scenario for those outside of thailand. For those already on extensions of stay, keep renewing as normal.

9 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Yes. Totally different scenario for those outside of thailand. For those already on extensions of stay, keep renewing as normal.

I even did in person my 90 day rapport in a empty Jomtien Immigration in May and next end Aug. I can go for both ret. ext. and 90 day rapport , but yes their announcement is poor translated and not detailed enough , some go be worried for nothing reading it so 

Edited by david555

6 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Has anyone seen the official announcement from the Thai Cabinet in thai and translated to english?

On Tuesday the cabinet decided to grant an extension until 26th September, this decision can be found here under point 5 (it's in Thai, click on the Thai flag if you just see an empty page): https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/33560

This now needs to be published in the Royal Gazette, which has not happened yet, but this is just a formality. After it's published in the Royal Gazette it's legally binding.

I'm not aware of a proper translation, but Google translate does an acceptable job.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Lord!!!  Who writes their "English" communications???

I have an annual retirement extension coming due in mid-September... AFAIK, I need to apply for a new one anywhere from 30-45 days beforehand at BKK CW, just the same as I would any other year.

So in regard to that, what the heck is the section 2 of their info sheet supposed to mean? Are they talking about people with actual visas as opposed to retirement extensions?  They being Immigration, who eternally are mixing up their EN terminology between "visas" and extensions", where they often themselves refer to extensions as being visas.

2020-07-24-303.jpg.716b447e96c268c0ea630acf762d6e79.jpg

it's for folks with visas, not already on extensions.

already have an extension?  no change to due dates.

on a long-term visa?  have until sep 26 to apply for an extension.  no need to wait until the 26th to squeeze all the days out of your visa, as all extensions processed until then will have the same start date of sep 27.

Came in on 60 day tourist visa which expired at the start of March.

Got +30 day extension.

Got the COVID +30 extension (which it turns out I didn't need).

Now on Amnesty.

I got married this week (yay!), can I apply for the +60 to visit my wife? And if so, it would start from Sept 27th? Thanks cc/ @ubonjoe

4 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

so if i came here on a visa-exempt  ( and have not yet used my 30-day extension option ), can i then show up on 26 september and use my 30-day extension ?

You should be able to do that. Although, I wouldn't wait until exactly 26-Sep unless you plan to camp out at immi the night before and queue up during vampire hours. They only hand out a max # of queue tickets, and if you miss the cutoff you have to come back the next business day and try again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am on a marriage visa. Have NOT yet used my 60 days extension to visit my wife. Looks like I can apply now and it will start on September 27th for another 60 days, meaning I'm good until late November?

2 hours ago, drbeach said:

This might change closer to the deadline.

My understanding of this is, and it hasn't changed since the first stories of this amnesty extension emerged about a week ago now, is that TR and other temporary visa holders will need to submit proof they can't depart by Sep 26. At this point, with more than 2 months to go until that deadline it is TOO early to make such an assessment.

As such, I can't imagine such letters being necessary until sometime in September, when the flight situation becomes clearer. Consequently, I see no issue with UK and US embassies not issuing letters now, because they're not needed. They MAY be needed come September, at which time they may decide to reverse their stance.

I am guessing the same. As a strategy, in early-mid Sept it would be good to share this link with your respective consular office (US, UK, Canada, etc.) to shame  motivate them into helping out with a letter. If enough of us hit them up with it on their Twitter/FB, maybe they will see the light and actually help their citizens like they are supposed to.  Something along the lines of "Look...the boys down under are taking good care of their own. What is your excuse?" ????

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/in-reversal-australian-embassy-will-provide-visa-extension-letters

Edited by audaciousnomad

1 minute ago, AndyPa said:

I am on a marriage visa. Have NOT yet used my 60 days extension to visit my wife. Looks like I can apply now and it will start on September 27th for another 60 days, meaning I'm good until late November?

im pretty sure if you applied now, it start the day you applied and not 27 sept, its too fresh to know until someone actually do it, need to asked IO about that

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

That's what the graphic says. You will have to ask your immigration office if this is how they handle it.

21 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

It is the not July 26th yet.

When applying for the extension you should ask when it will start. I certainly would not suggest doing it almost 2 months early.

I think doing it in September would be better.

• Like 1

I;m on a ED visa (finished in May) so i am on the amnesty - my agent has just spoke to Immigration in Hua Hin who have told her I don't need to do anything - no need to visit Immigration

However to point out she does know I will not be leaving on or before Sep 26

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is the not July 26th yet.

When applying for the extension you should ask when it will start. I certainly would not suggest doing it almost 2 months early.

I think doing it in September would be better.

I definitely don't want to lose any days, but the graphic said that all extensions will start September 27th. However how each local immigration office treats it is a different matter I guess.