Personal Medications

Can anyone  please give me information regarding having Own Blood Pressure tablets sent from Australia, as the medications here do not comply. Am I able to have my Son airmail me my prescriptions without any problems from the Govn't Depts here. Have already had experience where I had to go to Hospital to get prescription but when I got same found that where the cost in Australia was 150 Baht for 1 x month same here was nearly 3,500 Baht ( Big difference 1).

1 hour ago, Chris Setchell said:

the cost in Australia was 150 Baht for 1 x month same here was nearly 3,500 Baht ( Big difference 1).

If main issue is cost check pharmacy price (hospitals will often be much higher) and for alternative names for medications (almost everything is available here in both imported high price versions and much less costly make in Thailand alternatives.

No it is not legal to mail drugs without a permit, which you can not obtain.

If you are unable to find local drugs mention what you need here and someone will likely be able to check for that or alternatives.

2 hours ago, Chris Setchell said:

Have already had experience where I had to go to Hospital to get prescription

Perhaps that was the mistake.  Did you bother checking whether the drug was available over the counter? I find it difficult to believe that any ordinary blood pressure tablet is going to be prescription only in Thailand.

I've had a fair bit of experience on this subject.

I have the irony of being in good health for someone my age (72), but that good health is partly because of taking good care (diet, exercise) - And - taking about 10 different meds daily.

I was going back to the USA every 6 months or so and would gather Veterans Administration meds (not free, but cheap by US standards) and cart them back to LOS.   Then, between needing to be here with my Thai family and the Virus thing,  that avenue has been closed.  Sister in California could mail them. Did I say my chicken<deleted> timid sister?  Yeah, that's the one.  And despite the fact it's against the law in US  to ship meds, it is almost never enforced.  They have to focus on the world drug trade, not some retiree with a need for a small package of heart meds.  So, the first thing is, if you can acquire your meds via mail from "home", find a compatriot to help send them to you.  You will not be hunted like Pablo Escobar.

Even if they opened it, they have much bigger fish to fry, and they are a bit behind that action.  Small time pensioners getting prescription heart meds, etc., would not be worth their time even if they did open a package, which they almost certainly won't, unless it's reeking of ganja.

I've also used Indian drug companies four times, and everything was straightforward, honest, relatively prompt, the meds appeared and proved to be the genuine article, all OK.  Prices very good.  Only drawback, the transfer of money.  Some of the money transfer websites I've used before have been "under the weather" and incommunicado.  

My experience with the larger pharmacies here in Korat has been positive.  But though I'm not bereft of funds, I try to fill from other places, as it's hit and miss, some like my Pradaxa, are generally available but amazingly expensive (I think made in Switzerland ) - and billing at their rates, not the "Thai discount".

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but good luck, lads, stay safe, and keep well!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Almost all BP meds used in the West are available here without prescription. The few that are not, there are similiar meds in same chemical family. It should not be necessary to bring in BP meds from abroad and  pharmacy prices are much, much lower than hospital prices.

Please indicate the name of the drug and I can advise more specifically.

the OP's meds are available according to to his/her post.

The price is the issue as I suspect they are on the PBS in Aus hence the low price compared to here.

My meds in aus cost me less than $80 a month in aus... here they cost me Bt.4000.

17 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

the OP's meds are available according to to his/her post.

The price is the issue as I suspect they are on the PBS in Aus hence the low price compared to here.

My meds in aus cost me less than $80 a month in aus... here they cost me Bt.4000.

He quotes a hospital price, these are typically 2-5 times the price at a pharmacy.

And possible there are local brands which would be even cheaper. Many people make the mistake of asking for a Western brand name when they could save a great deal on a local generic equivalent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I

32 minutes ago, T Lee said:

I've also used Indian drug companies four times, and everything was straightforward, honest, relatively prompt, the meds appeared and proved to be the genuine article, all OK.  Prices very good. 

Good to hear! I'm in the process of getting personal use meds DHLed to me from India. These are meds that, Thai doctor confirmed, are not available here, nor are equivalents. Here's what's happened so far.

DHL in Kolkata, India, wanted a recent (within 3 months) script from an Indian doctor plus receipts. And at most a 3 months supply allowed. Done with a tele-consultation from here with a nice doc at a Kolkata clinic (one good with the pandemic is that many clinics seems to be setting up tele facilities) and my friends there will buy the meds from a reputable drug store.

Next called DHL, Bkk, to ask what would happen here. Harder, but not impossible. First rules they sent me (bold mine):

Drugs: prescription

Import under authorized importer only and required import license from Ministry of Public Health. For personal used purpose, there is limited quantity of importation with FDA (Food and Drug Association) consideration after reviewing supporting documentation.

I asked what "supporting docs": details of the med and a script from a Thai doctor saying I need them. I took pics of the meds (the box, tab strips, info leaflet) from the stock I have left, plus went to Bumrungrad for my doc there to certify that I needed the meds. Then mailed these to DHL where the agent told me to wait while she asked her team at Customs to see if it's ok. Next day it was yes. Btw, from talking with agents at DHL (being paranoid I've actually called more than once to make sure they say the same thing) they have their facilitators at Customs and FDA Thailand.

Which is not surprising given the volumes they must deal with.

Now, I am waiting for my Indian friends to drop the meds off at DHL, Kolkata. Yes, I'm aware of the "do not use couriers to ship meds" edict here at TV. Probably made with good reasons. However, I have no choice given that it's pretty much the only way left currently with the situation in India. Fingers crossed, my experience so far at least with the agents has been surprisingly positive but it ain't over till I get my hands on the meds. I will update.

• Thanks 1

bit off topic but 3 times i,ve had heart medications stolen from my room.first time i put it down to my own error,second time i,d double checked,third time i,d checked throughout my trip,and was going to report it to the hotel and if need be the police,a mate calmed me down saying what would you have done if one of your parents needed medication and you couldn,t afford them?they were very expensive to replace though.

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

He quotes a hospital price, these are typically 2-5 times the price at a pharmacy.

And possible there are local brands which would be even cheaper. Many people make the mistake of asking for a Western brand name when they could save a great deal on a local generic equivalent.

good post but can you trust the pharmacist not to try and sell you a dearer product rather than a cheaper generic alternative?

14 hours ago, kingdong said:

good post but can you trust the pharmacist not to try and sell you a dearer product rather than a cheaper generic alternative?

Certainly, if you request correctly. If you ask by a western brand name, they will sell you that, or say "no have".

The pharmacy mark up is not necessarily more on expensive drugs than on cheaper ones....may even be less.

The price difference is from the wholesale price.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 11:33 PM, Sheryl said:

It is not legal to import medications by mail. That said, in practice customs will often let small parcels through if sent by regular post - never use a courier, guaranteed problems if you do.

Almost all BP meds used in the West are available here without prescription. The few that are not, there are similiar meds in same chemical family. It should not be necessary to bring in BP meds from abroad and  pharmacy prices are much, much lower than hospital prices.

Please indicate the name of the drug and I can advise more specifically.

The Blood Pressure tablet is Micardis Plus 80mg/12.5mg or its generic product Mizart HCT 80 /12.5mg

Before you post medicine, you should:

1. Make sure the medicine is legal in the country you’re sending it to. Check this with their embassy, high commission or consulate.
  2. If it’s legal, get a letter from your doctor to include with your parcel. Leave the medicine in the original packaging.
  3. Stick a customs declaration to your parcel. It must say it contains prescription medicine for your personal use. You can get this sticker from any post office.
  4. Make sure you don’t send more than the legal amount. Check with your doctor.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/pharmaceutical-benefits-scheme/how-manage-your-pbs-medicine-overseas/posting-medicine-overseas

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Before you post medicine, you should:

1. Make sure the medicine is legal in the country you’re sending it to. Check this with their embassy, high commission or consulate.
  2. If it’s legal, get a letter from your doctor to include with your parcel. Leave the medicine in the original packaging.
  3. Stick a customs declaration to your parcel. It must say it contains prescription medicine for your personal use. You can get this sticker from any post office.
  4. Make sure you don’t send more than the legal amount. Check with your doctor.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/pharmaceutical-benefits-scheme/how-manage-your-pbs-medicine-overseas/posting-medicine-overseas

As has been said - mailing is not legal - it does not mater that medicine itself may be legal here or that you have a letter from your doctor. 

That said many small parcels are not checked and there is quite a lot of mailing from India to Thai for cheaper generic medications that are not available here 

9 hours ago, Chris Setchell said:

The Blood Pressure tablet is Micardis Plus 80mg/12.5mg or its generic product Mizart HCT 80 /12.5mg

This does not need a prewecrioption and can be bought from a pharmacy.  Unfortunately there is no locally made brand of this, only Micardis brand which being an import is expensive, though will be less than at a hospital.

You could save a great deal of money by switching to losartan (drug in same chemical family) plus HTZ (hydrochlorthiazide), taking the two separately. Contact your doctor and ask if thsi owuld be acceptable for you. Local brands of losartan and HTX+Z are dirt cheaop (as spearate drugs - the only combo is an expensive import).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

This does not need a prewecrioption and can be bought from a pharmacy.  Unfortunately there is no locally made brand of this, only Micardis brand which being an import is expensive, though will be less than at a hospital.

You could save a great deal of money by switching to losartan (drug in same chemical family) plus HTZ (hydrochlorthiazide), taking the two separately. Contact your doctor and ask if thsi owuld be acceptable for you. Local brands of losartan and HTX+Z are dirt cheaop (as spearate drugs - the only combo is an expensive import).

Thank you for  advise will follow local pharmacies  to see which one can supply the product you have mentioned.

23 hours ago, anchadian said:

On 7/26/2020 at 7:16 AM, Chris Setchell said:

I take the non-diuretic version of Micardis 80mg.  Works better for me than Losartan for some reason.

I live in a small town 70KM northeast of Udon and the local pharmacy orders it for me and I have it in a few days.  Just picked up 3 boxes today at 1050 baht for a box of 30.  The generic version is probably cheaper, but I have not explored that yet.  I have seen it the pharmacies in larger cities.