Best pickup regardless of price

canopy

6 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Mercedes X class .. top spec'd ones close to 2.8 mil bt purchase price before you even get to import duties and stuff .. 

Try 4M baht... :whistling:

image.png

31 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Try 4M baht... :whistling:

image.png

Plus the X Class is being dumped.  Apparently sales volume has been a bit of a dud.  Not enough Benz buyers want a tarted up Nissan Navara with a fancy badge on the front.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't tried any other brand than Toyota, but I feel a Toyota pick-up is generally the safest bet.

Toyota's are used in war zones around the world. These are work horses that are generally easy to repair, easy to find parts for. There's an episode of Top Gear where they try to destroy a Toyota Hilux and lapping it up each time only with original materials from the truck. And after each punishment they still manage to get the Toyota in working condition again. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/06/politics/u-s-treasury-isis-toyota/index.html

https://newswire.net/newsroom/news/00090677-us-probe-toyota-for-being-isis-vehicle-of-choice.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Pickup versions of Mercedes legendary G-Wagen are available ..Mercedes X class

I don't see the X class on the Thai Mercedes Benz web site. And the pickup version of the G-Wagen is not shown. How are these purchased in Thailand?

42 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Crikey even more damage to your bank balance then .. in Britain the top end ones are around £70k which is a lot for what is essentially a working vehicle .. All the Japanese trucks with Toyota being top of their pile offer better value and probably do the job as well if not better than the European vehicles but they don't have quite the cachet of the Merc' .. 

And if money really were no object you could try an AMG G-Wagen 6x6 ..

IMG_20200726_101703.jpg

How about a Unimog?  I wonder what they’d go for here.

1C250F59-2A88-4E38-9F7C-D10FDBFBDA9A.jpeg

• Like 2

I.M.O.  The new Toyota 2.8 Revo 'Rocco'.  (refined suspension and updated interior)

The biggest gripe with the old 'Rocco' was with its hard ride when empty. This is no longer a problem.

I'm going for the 2.4 as I don't need the grunt and it's about 180k cheaper!

I took one for a test drive and even my dog agreed it was great! ????

Edited by Madgee
Forgot to mention my dogs opinion
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canopy said:

If you are going to recommend something, please mention what makes it the best. It could be a simple subjective reason, features, specs, just anything. The only post that has done a real good job so far nominates the Mitsubishi as the best of the best and no one has disputed it or offered reasons anything else might be better.

And of course vehicles sold in Thailand Of  course 

All same In Thailand get with it,  spec is your choice or your particul style you like. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Justgrazing said:

Crikey even more damage to your bank balance then .. in Britain the top end ones are around £70k which is a lot for what is essentially a working vehicle .. All the Japanese trucks with Toyota being top of their pile offer better value and probably do the job as well if not better than the European vehicles but they don't have quite the cachet of the Merc' .. 

And if money really were no object you could try an AMG G-Wagen 6x6 ..

IMG_20200726_101703.jpg

Just what mum needs for the school run

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Xaos said:

Ford Ranger top model

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger, 4 door. fwd with 414,xxx km on the clock and it still rattles along happily as the daily runner.

If I could I would but another Ford Ranger 4 door but 2 wheel drive automatic as I rarely use FWD any more.

• Like 2

This  is  so subjective to what the buyer wants, the best reliability, the best  looking, the best riding, there are  so  many criteria, also how  long do you  plan to keep it? as then if it comes with a longer warranty that may be more important.

I tried them all and chose what I liked the best on looks  /price although all were fairly  similar, service is another  issue, even with well known brands thats really all down to each dealer.

2 hours ago, wolf81 said:

I haven't tried any other brand than Toyota, but I feel a Toyota pick-up is generally the safest bet.

Toyota's are used in war zones around the world. These are work horses that are generally easy to repair, easy to find parts for. There's an episode of Top Gear where they try to destroy a Toyota Hilux and lapping it up each time only with original materials from the truck. And after each punishment they still manage to get the Toyota in working condition again. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/06/politics/u-s-treasury-isis-toyota/index.html

https://newswire.net/newsroom/news/00090677-us-probe-toyota-for-being-isis-vehicle-of-choice.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War

If you havent tried any others  how can you  know? Will you be working in a war zone? I tried them all and the result was surprising. Ones I thought would be good from reading  tests were not, Ford Ranger bi turbo, felt slow and soggy and that was the Raptor version.

• Like 1

Hands down the only answer is the top of the line Ford Raptor. 

Beats every metric and no truck in the same class can beat it. 

Second place is the Toyota Hilux by sheer reliability and the amount of time it’s been around, including it’s global variations. 

There are no other choices. 

starting point must be deciding if you want 2 door for longer bed 

or 4 door for more passenger comfort, some of the 2 door with long bed cant even slide back

and so are out if you are tall.

expanding on this there is a warped fashion these days to make the back support

curved as if you were suffering hump back or are really really short,

price is not a good indication on comfort, the most uncomfortable i ever had to ride in 

was a $1 million mercedes sport car, you really ought to test sit in them before they can be

an option

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I have to agree with you D-MAX is the one, I have owned 2 still have one now I have done a lot of driving in this one in all kinds of weather up and down Thailand I have also owned a Vigo a nice drive on a straight dry road once you hit the rain even with 4 wheel drive I never considered it safe at high speed,

How’s resale on Dmax’s 

5 hours ago, Madgee said:

I.M.O.  The new Toyota 2.8 Revo 'Rocco'.  (refined suspension and updated interior)

The biggest gripe with the old 'Rocco' was with its hard ride when empty. This is no longer a problem.

I'm going for the 2.4 as I don't need the grunt and it's about 180k cheaper!

I took one for a test drive and even my dog agreed it was great! ????

I just got mine 2.4 Black love it 

• Like 1