Juddering Vios

Hi there

posting for a friend who has and oldish Vios, petrol, manual, high mileage

When driving below about 65 kph the car keeps juddering, but when speed increases beyond about 65, the juddering stops

The juddering is almost like when in too high a gear and trying to pull away, ready to stall, but not so bad as that

He has taken it to his local garage, who checked, then said , no can do, but would not say why

Took it to second small garage, same reply

Was thinking it may be better to take it to the Toyota main dealer for repair ?

Would appreciate and advice and possible reasons for the juddering, and your views on Toyota main dealer garage 

would be good to know the problem and explain this to the garage, rather than a vague, "juddering" 

Neither of us know much about cars, and not really worked on a car for many years, in the days when you could actually see what you were doing and did not need special tools or computers

Thanks for reading and any advice would be much appreciated

12 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

He has taken it to his local garage, who checked, then said , no can do, but would not say why

Took it to second small garage, same reply

Pretty ominous when two local mechanics can't even say what the problem is. Is she pregnant or something?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Sounds like it’s the clutch, might be contaminated or just worn. Not too expensive to replace 

thanks for the replies

I thought it might be clutch, but would this correct itself when increasing road speed to about 70 kph and still accelerating ?

Electronic ignition, or carb ?

41 minutes ago, tonray said:

It could be something as dire as transmission failure or something as simple as tire/wheel problems. How is tire wear....very uneven, when is last time you had wheels balanced ?

Not sure, but he keeps it well serviced, so i assume the tyres are ok

But its not balance, No wheel wobble just judders . Not sure how wheels could cause this sort of juddering 

30 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Initially I'm going with CV joint(s). The friend needs to drive at 65 kph in all gears and see if it happens in all gears. Ie at what engine speed vs wheel speed.

thanks

i'm sure it was doing it in all gears, below 65 kph, but stopped when going at higher speeds 

He took me to town last week, 45km and nearly drove me crazy with the constant juddering and gear changing, cos he hates going fast

Would CV joints cause juddering ? Stop/start type of juddering, rather than side to side wobbling 

Think it best to just go to Toyota and let them take it for test drive, hopefully they will find and cure the fault

Thanks again 

Edited by Joinaman
additional words
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, transam said:

Difficult to advise without sitting in it. Could even be an ignition/injector fault.

I would take it to Toyota for a test drive and/or get it plugged into their diagnostic thingy.

PS. I thought I had a CVT trans fault, it was playing about when hot, took it to Suzuki, they test drove it and said it was fuel system butterfly (can't think of the name), scratched my head, they unbolted stuff, removed it, took it to the cleaning machine, put it back on, plugged it into the diagnostic thingy to re-adjust it (I heard a few clicks inside the throttle housing) fault cured...350bht.....????

TPS. Throttle position sensor clogged with recycled crankcase vapors. 

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Initially I'm going with CV joint(s). The friend needs to drive at 65 kph in all gears and see if it happens in all gears. Ie at what engine speed vs wheel speed.

CV joints make a very noticeable clacking sound when the steering is on full lock when they’re dying, you can test that in a car park. I doubt that the CV joints are causing this though 

• Like 1

I had something very similar with an automatic Jaguar a good few years back, turned out a couple of the plugs were misfiring under certain conditions - it only happened when I was driving at certain speeds. If I drove slower or faster there was no problem.

New coils and plugs sorted it. Probably very different cars and engines though.

13 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

TPS. Throttle position sensor clogged with recycled crankcase vapors. 

No, the actual butterfly had a build up of what looked like carbon around its edges, I assume when stuff got hot there was expansion that didn't allow the butterfly to completely travel, so the idle rpm couldn't be set by the ECU, was overridden by a mechanical prob.

The one guy that spoke some English pointed out that this prob (pointing at the carbon build up)  can/does occur with these engines at 90kkm+....