Visa run possible after the 26th of September ?

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Looks like we have seen the limit of IATA's knowledge. About 30,000 aircrews have passed immigration each in April and May.

You need to look at the entire notice on the IATA webpage. I only snipped part of it prove tourism is not starting next month.

I don't think many of those aircrews stayed overnight or cleared immigration.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mydinco said:

Because you don't have an answer doesn't mean someone else can't help. Isn't it the whole point of a forum ?

Thank you. Afaik, Thailand is supposed to reopen to tourism in August, so there must be a way to enter Thailand as a tourist at some point.

I'm just trying to gather information here. what neighbouring countries are or will be open, what is required to do once we arrive in Thailand as a tourist, etc.

Basically, from being located in Thailand, how to become a thai tourist post-amnesty ?

No one in the world can answer anything about neighbouring borders being opened or not after September 26 and what's required if they open. If they don't open, you might have to leave by air, but then you probably won't be able to come back in the near future. 

17 hours ago, pookondee said:

And If people dont qualify, its not Immigrations fault.

That's been on my mind. They can change the rules (you must have a year extension), and if you can't come up with the money it's your fault, not theirs. The usual blame someone else syndrome that is all-pervasive in Thailand.

Having said that, there is no indication at all that will happen. No-one has any idea what will happen in September, including immigration, as the situation is constantly changing. Vietnam was pretty much safe last week, now it isn't, for example.

My guess is that borders will remain shut for some time yet, beyond September, and the amnesty will be extended for long-term visa holders (not for tourists, who have already been warned they are no longer wanted in Thailand and must leave).

Give it another six weeks and let's see what the situation is then. And that is anyone's guess. Totally pointless at this stage for the OP to be asking questions that no-one can answer.

22 minutes ago, anfh said:

Sometimes I despair about the idiocy of some questions aked on here. Do people not know how to read newspapers, internet articles, government statements etc etc? How is anyone to know anything other that what the government already said ???? 

Sometimes I despair about the amount of condescension going on here. Already 2 pages in and half of the replies come from random Mr. know it all center of the Universe. If you can't participate in the debate, please don't say anything because you are only being a parasite here. You may not realize that any answer can be helpful in its own way, even if it does not actually give an answer to the primarily asked question.

This topic is about gathering information on the situation now and the situation to come about whether or not and how difficult it is/will be to be a tourist in Thailand coming from Thailand.

I'm sorry if I offended you by not reading all the newspapers in the world. Get well soon.

Thanks to everyone else that could bring some light on this topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to look at the entire notice on the IATA webpage. I only snipped part of it prove tourism is not starting next month.

I don't think many of those aircrews stayed overnight or cleared immigration.

You are of course right on the tourist part, but 35,275 air crews passed immigration in May 2020 (column AL). Whole mix of nationalities, nearly 10,000 from the Philippines and 12,000 from Malaysia.

Where they stay over night or turned around after a coffee is anybodies guess.

5 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You are of course right on the tourist part, but 35,275 air crews passed immigration in May 2020 (column AL). Whole mix of nationalities, nearly 10,000 from the Philippines and 12,000 from Malaysia.

The aircrews probably were in transit all the time. They never left the airport until next flight home. Many flights arrives on schedule empty just to keep their slots. 

19 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Leaving is the easy thing, but returning is going to be your problem, unless something changes. Best to extend your Non O by putting money in the bank or an agent's pocket (or both).

An agents pocket?  Would be very unwise since immigration are cracking down on this illegal practice. If you have one of these phoney Visa extensions you are taking a huge risk. Eventually they will all be revoked and you might be in trouble. I thought this forum was not allowed to give advice and illegal practices. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

This time, with the attachment.

May Arrivals.xlsx

1 hour ago, gamini said:

An agents pocket?  Would be very unwise since immigration are cracking down on this illegal practice. If you have one of these phoney Visa extensions you are taking a huge risk. Eventually they will all be revoked and you might be in trouble. I thought this forum was not allowed to give advice and illegal practices. 

It seems you don't know that immigration officers takes the largest part of the agents fee. The stamps in the passport are not different from a correctly handled extension. At Jomtien Immigration every 1 year extension is signed by the boss at the retirement desk, that includes extensions through agents. I guess it's same process at other offices. 

Quarantine will be for everyone if borders open soon. 
Things shall change and get tighter and tougher overnight due to Covid situation over the world. Don't expect anything get easy unless the vaccine becomes available. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

Just now, The Theory said:

Quarantine will be for everyone if borders open soon. 

You don't know that for sure. Let's say Cambodia opens their borders first. They have been in lockdown same as Thailand and don't have that many cases. Who knows how a border run will work. You don't need to interact with the population on the other side of the border if they come up with a smart procedure. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

It seems you don't know that immigration officers takes the largest part of the agents fee. The stamps in the passport are not different from a correctly handled extension. At Jomtien Immigration every 1 year extension is signed by the boss at the retirement desk, that includes extensions through agents. I guess it's same process at other offices. 

I am well aware that. But the immigration department is trying to put a stop to it. But it's so widespread with so many immigration officials involved that it's an uphill battle.If you used an agent, what happens when you go to renew your the extension the following year. You really think the agent or immigration officer is going to put money in your account under the new regulations, i.e. the whole amount for six months after and 400 K until extension is renewed. The whole concept of the retirement Visa financial requirements is to ensure that the applicant has sufficient funds of his own to maintain his living requirements. Getting someone to put money up its contrary to its requirements.  

6 hours ago, gamini said:

you really don't understand how thailand works, the last time i check using agent is 100% legal, "immigration are cracking down on this illegal practice" there is no such thing and there will never be

But the immigration department is trying to put a stop to it

it never did because it never was

what happens when you go to renew your the extension the following year. You really think the agent or immigration officer is going to put money in your account under the new regulations, i.e. the whole amount for six months after and 400 K until extension is renewed.

the process repeat, you will never know how it work so let put it at that.

7 hours ago, mydinco said:

Sometimes I despair about the amount of condescension going on here. Already 2 pages in and half of the replies come from random Mr. know it all center of the Universe. If you can't participate in the debate, please don't say anything because you are only being a parasite here. You may not realize that any answer can be helpful in its own way, even if it does not actually give an answer to the primarily asked question.

This topic is about gathering information on the situation now and the situation to come about whether or not and how difficult it is/will be to be a tourist in Thailand coming from Thailand.

I'm sorry if I offended you by not reading all the newspapers in the world. Get well soon.

Thanks to everyone else that could bring some light on this topic.

This is not a debate about anything. There's no one here having an answer about closed or opened borders after September 26. Try to read Thai news websites instead. Everything new pops up there. 

On 7/29/2020 at 4:53 PM, mydinco said:

Thank you. Afaik, Thailand is supposed to reopen to tourism in August, so there must be a way to enter Thailand as a tourist at some point.

No, it id not. There was previously some talk of it but the idea was altogether dropped.

Not open to  tourists in August and no indication when it will be.

56 minutes ago, gamini said:

I am well aware that. But the immigration department is trying to put a stop to it. But it's so widespread with so many immigration officials involved that it's an uphill battle.If you used an agent, what happens when you go to renew your the extension the following year. You really think the agent or immigration officer is going to put money in your account under the new regulations, i.e. the whole amount for six months after and 400 K until extension is renewed. The whole concept of the retirement Visa financial requirements is to ensure that the applicant has sufficient funds of his own to maintain his living requirements. Getting someone to put money up its contrary to its requirements.  

It seems you don't understand how it actually works. No one puts any money in someone's bank account. Of the money you pay the agent at least 75-80% goes to immigration. What they do is removing the financial requirement from the equation. If having no money might cost you 25k. If there's another requirement other than money, it cost much less. People on initial O-A visas can pay an agent to get rid of the mandatory health insurance.  The agent just sidesteps the person that normally checks the pile of papers for the extension and goes straight to his guy who takes care of the rest. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No, it id not. There was previously some talk of it but the idea was altogether dropped.

Not open to  tourists in August and no indication when it will be.

The last time someone mentioned a possible month, was the head of TAT (of course) and the Minister of Tourism and Sports, they said September. That was also scrapped later. Since then, they haven't  opened their mouths about International tourism. Even the stupid idea about "travel bubbles" is now dismissed. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

The last time someone mentioned a possible month, was the head of TAT (of course) and the Minister of Tourism and Sports, they said September. That was also scrapped later. Since then, they haven't  opened their mouths about International tourism. Even the stupid idea about "travel bubbles" is now dismissed. 

Any slim chance of it was dashed after that fiasco in Rayong a few weeks ago. ????