Some important lessons on DHL and import duty calculations

essander

On 8/1/2020 at 10:49 AM, ncc1701d said:

seems criminal to charge taxes on the shipping. the items is one thing, but the shipping??

If there was no tax on shipping, some enterprising individuals would sell a 100 dollar item for 1 dollar, and charge 99 dollars for shipping.

It wouldn't take long before everyone else did the same thing, and tax income would drop significantly.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:40 PM, nightbird said:

Normal customs charge 30% of invoice. I doubt you paid 10%, especially using Fedex.  EMS, the same. Airmail, nada. Go figure, I can't. Don't want to even consider paying 30% or more on anything.

No they don't. They use the harmonised codes to calculate duty. Musical instruments, for example, attract 10% duty (plus 7% VAT of course).

• 3 years later...

No connection with tax in my experience but I have bought stuff online and the seller for some lame reason used DHL. Each time, when I checked the tracking, the parcel took one day from BKK to CM and about four days in Chiang Mai to be delivered. Everyday the status was "Uncontactable [Provided address and/or contact number is incorrect]" which is a blatant lie because when I contacted the customer service, everything was correct.
They are very incompetent.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1