"I trusted my Burmese maid like my daughter" - but she steals nearly 2 million in jewelry

webfact

"I trusted my Burmese maid like my daughter" - but she steals nearly 2 million in jewelry

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sixty two year old house owner Samniang in Samut Songkhram said she trusted her maid from Myanmar like her own daughter.

So she believed her when she said that a burglar had entered the house and broken open a safe.

However, a police investigation soon revealed that the maid, and later with the help of her younger sister, had masterminded an inside job and stolen gold jewelry and other items worth nearly two million baht. 

Samut Songkhram police announced the arrest of Ice, 34, and her sister May, 31, both Myanmar nationals. 

They were caught in possession of many gold rings and necklaces and other items and 321,000 baht in cash. They were taken on a reenactment to three locations: Samniang's house, a site where they buried the loot and a place where they deposited money. 

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Samniang employed Ice about two months ago as a maid and treated her like one of the family. Her sister May was a frequent visitor to the house.

But last month the maid removed the safe from a wooden box where it was kept and hid it in a storeroom out back. It was not noticed as being missing at first because the maid was careful to replace the box as it was. 

Then for the next two days Ice with the help of May used a crowbar and knife to prise the safe apart and get their hands inside to extricate the jewelry.

They then went to gold shops in the area and in Bangkok to sell the jewelry. 

When the theft was discovered Ice said it was a burglar. 

Ice was heavily in debt from online gambling, said the police, who took just four days to solve the case. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-05

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What would any of us do if we could just grab 20 times our yearly income?

And I am sure that the owner of that jewelry would still live comfortable without that thing.

I don't say I would steal it but I guess I would be tempted...

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, orchis said:

I have a 'friend' with a Burmese maid whom she pays 3000 thb per month.

That is about the going rate, provided food and accommodation is included. In Hong Kong in 1997, we paid our live in Thai maids (2) the equivalent of 10,000 Baht per month each, food and accommodation included. Philippine maids were 10 a penny and almost universally useless,  but Thai maids, who could also cook good western food were at a premium. Our senior maid was 60 years old and a great cook, younger one was 40. We trusted them completely, but only after a year of service and only so far.  

8 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

I’d like to think most of us wouldn’t thieve from an old woman.

Yes, sure.

But there is a difference between a poor old woman and an old woman who has jewelry for 2 million THB in her safe and she wouldn't really miss it if it would be gone. 

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, sure.

But there is a difference between a poor old woman and an old woman who has jewelry for 2 million THB in her safe and she wouldn't really miss it if it would be gone. 

You failed your character assessment in your first post, there’s no justification for theft regardless of how rich you think people are. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twocatsmac said:

You failed your character assessment in your first post, there’s no justification for theft regardless of how rich you think people are. 

I said I would be tempted by 20 times my yearly income.

Now should we pretend I would be the only person who would be tempted by that kind of money?

Potter-GringottsVault.jpg?fit=740,%2B999

2 hours ago, webfact said:

They then went to gold shops in the area and in Bangkok to sell the jewelry. 

I wonder what the odds were on the gold shop owners being imprisoned for accepting stolen goods from two myanmar workers ? And the odds of them handing back the goods even if they were still in the shop !

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Ice was heavily in debt from online gambling, said the police, who took just four days to solve the case.

Note to self, keep an eye on the Mae Bahn and change the password on the home Wi-Fi.

Edited by NanLaew

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That is about the going rate, provided food and accommodation is included. In Hong Kong in 1997, we paid our live in Thai maids (2) the equivalent of 10,000 Baht per month each, food and accommodation included. Philippine maids were 10 a penny and almost universally useless,  but Thai maids, who could also cook good western food were at a premium. Our senior maid was 60 years old and a great cook, younger one was 40. We trusted them completely, but only after a year of service and only so far.  

I trusted my (former) Brit wife, but shouldn't have.

I didn't trust my (former) Thai wife, and was right.

I don't trust my Thai gf.

I do trust my Thai step-daughter, and my Thai son.

Generally trust is not a good idea IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

"How much does she trust her daughter?" came into my mind.

Considering how poorly paid the maid was, might gold shop wonder when grubbily dressed women come in to sell a pile of gold? No red flags?

4 hours ago, orchis said:

I have a 'friend' with a Burmese maid whom she pays 3000 thb per month.

my ex- sister in law, 30 million baht house, 6 bedrooms (married a crook that worked for taksin)

PROUD she paid maid only 8.000 baht a month, to work from early morning till late

have "slave" room, but does not want maid to live in ...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I trusted my (former) Brit wife, but shouldn't have.

I didn't trust my (former) Thai wife, and was right.

I don't trust my Thai gf.

I do trust my Thai step-daughter, and my Thai son.

Generally trust is not a good idea IMHO.

So far, the least trustworthy people I have known have been those that told me that you couldn't trust anybody.

Edited by Enoon

You would think the maids would just take off to the border with the money and jewellery before the theft was discovered. If undocumented, no one would know who they were anyway. If documented, they could go back to Burma, change their names and come back again.