Bumrungrad Hospital profit takes painful hit due to Covid-19 crisis

webfact

Bumrungrad Hospital profit takes painful hit due to Covid-19 crisis

By THE NATION

800_7898f97a733f923.jpg?v=1596689932

Bumrungrad Hospital announced that its profit in the second quarter of 2020 decreased by 93.9 per cent to Bt44.42 million, after being hit by a 40 per cent revenue reduction due to the Covid-19 crisis.

Vice chairman Dr Chanvit Tanphiphat announced via the Stock Exchange of Thailand that Bumrungrad saw profit of Bt44.42 million, or Bt0.06 per share, a 93.9 per cent decrease compared to the second quarter in 2019, which saw a Bt724.98 million profit.

Bumrungrad’s total revenue in the second quarter was Bt2.487 billion, decreasing by 42.8 per cent from the same period last year due to the virus crisis. Its net profit margin was 1.8 per cent, falling from 16.7 per cent in 2019.

Revenue earned from Bumrungrad’s hospital business was Bt2.422 billion, a drop of 43.4 per cent. Of this revenue, 51.9 per cent was earned from domestic patients and 48.1 per cent from foreigners.

From January to June 2020, Bumrungrad saw profit of Bt809.62 million, or Bt1.05 per share, falling by 55.2 per cent from the first half of 2019. During the six months, total revenue amounted to Bt6.66 billion, decreasing by 26.6 per cent from Bt9.082 billion earned in 2019.

The net profit margin in the first half of 2020 was 12.2 per cent, from 19.9 per cent in the same period last year.

Bumrungrad’s dividend for the first half of 2020 was Bt1.15 per share.

Its stock price decreased by Bt4.5 to Bt106 in trading this morning (August 6).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392530

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-06

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kotsak said:

Let them eat cake, charging an arm and a leg for a simple cold.

been there done that and argue with them for 1 hour with any success... since 2016 never went back and don't feel any sorry for them

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

AT one point they stopped taken Tricare for Life patients because it took to long to process our claims they say.  Now they want us back.  Screw them now.

Tricare's red tape is why all the other hospitals in Thailand won't accept it. Bumrungrad at least gave them a go for awhile, 'til the red tape got too unreal. And, as I understand it, they'll still accept Tricare for extensive in-patient care; it's just the out patient billing they're denying.

But no problem for most of us to pay up front, then file with Tricare for Life (overseas) for reimbursement. Since the "expensive" Bumrungrad prices come in well below the acceptable Medicare pricing in the US, I've never had anything denied or reduced in reimbursement.

And, since Tricare's catastrophic cap is still only $3000, whereby I wouldn't pay anything out of pocket, why would I ever go to anywhere less capable than Bumrungrad for something really serious? Heck, even annual checkups, where I pay 25% co-pay, are worth it, compared to sitting in a holding area in a gov't hospital for a few less satang in savings.

Yeah, if you want a Mercedes, and not a Ford -- and Uncle Sam will pay for it......

This hospital, like the rest of the plot, overdid pricing for YEARS. As the "dirty farang" and - in Bumrungrad's case - the Middle Easterners are in complete absence ....... go figure! 

Get down to realistic terms and you get more local traffic in; it became a volume game lately - just in case the gurus have not noticed it yet! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dario said:

Most expensive hospital in Thailand! My mother was there, so we know what they charge. They should have built up plenty of monetary reserves over the many years that they are in operation. I wouldn't bat an eye lid.

Maybe, but my treatment there cost less than my copay would have been in the USA, even with insurance.

They're very dependent on medical tourism, for which they offer pretty reasonable pricing by world standards.  It's businesses like this that are going to force Thailand to open up as they continue to bleed money.

5 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

I use Bumrungrad Hospital—best doctors, best facility and equipment.  Only go once a year, though.  

Most of those Dr's practice at other Hospitals and it costs far less to see them and get treated, somebody has to pay for all that marble and posh tables

• Like 1