Living Here Gets Better for Some and Worse for Others - Why

Pilotman

unfortunately, no country in this world is a bed of roses by any stretch of imagination and some are worse then others, these are tumultuous  times and many will just give up and fall by the wayside, we just hope its non of us...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

He is not rich, but has no real money worries, lives in a nice enough house, in a nice area, but boy, he is very dissatisfied with his life.

You really should ask him what he thinks is missing in his life.  And I'm not talking about basic stuff like certain foods/restaurants, or TV shows, or the arts, etc.  What is of the utmost importance to him that is missing here that he could only get back home?  If he's really homesick for family and friends, I can understand.  But then that didn't keep him from leaving in the first place. 

Thailand is obviously different from your home country, especially if you're from the west.  Constantly obsessing about what one "can't do/can't have" in Thailand is a truly self-defeating mindset.  Like Bruce Springsteen said once, "You've got to learn to live with what you can't rise above."      

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

If it was that great why do so many spend so much time on here?

A lot on here don’t actually live here from my observations. On the topic. I find life here is what as an individual you want to achieve from it. I married in my country of origin to a Thai national and after a couple of years decided to move to Thailand permanently.The first few years were all roses family are very receptive and cost of living is way less. Then not being able to speak Thai fluently made it a little harder to cope, which depressed me somewhat. So I decided to create an interest in something business orientated for she who knows everything which she successfully runs and relies on input from myself. So financially and mentally better off. So yes it is what you make of life here if your going to get pizzed every day and sit n vegetate it is tough. For me it was get an interest one that is also interesting for your partner if you have one if you don’t have one get out in the rural countryside and find one.But I do sympathise with the ones that are here in depressed state of minds and cannot leave for whatever reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Of course if you're approaching 90 and have no option but to stay then you have to convince yourself that these negative sides don't exist. However, some people don't have to lie to themselves, and when they look at life in Thailand they see a lot of negative sides.

At 90 there's not a lot left to life that isn't negative.

Saw a 72 year old chap at the CM transport office earlier this week, couldn't walk, couldn't stand up on his own, was a bit deaf .... what's he got to be positive about?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

You really should ask him what he thinks is missing in his life.  And I'm not talking about basic stuff like certain foods/restaurants, or TV shows, or the arts, etc.  What is of the utmost importance to him that is missing here that he could only get back home?  If he's really homesick for family and friends, I can understand.  But then that didn't keep him from leaving in the first place. 

Thailand is obviously different from your home country, especially if you're from the west.  Constantly obsessing about what one "can't do/can't have" in Thailand is a truly self-defeating mindset.  Like Bruce Springsteen said once, "You've got to learn to live with what you can't rise above."      

he says that he definitely doesn't want to be back in his home country ( Germany) but clearly isn't happy here either. We all feel sorry for him, but we don't know what his friends can do to help. 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Talking to a friend today, as each year goes by he gets more down, depressing at being here in Thailand.  and critical of all things Thai and Thailand.

I avoided  all that by knowing it  already.

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

At 90 there's not a lot left to life that isn't negative.

Saw a 72 year old chap at the CM transport office earlier this week, couldn't walk, couldn't stand up on his own, was a bit deaf .... what's he got to be positive about?

Yah, but that won't happen to you. You cycle every day.

• Like 2