Living Here Gets Better for Some and Worse for Others - Why

Pilotman

2 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

You contradict yourself when you say he no money to move home and has no money worries.

Not at all. you can live quite comfortably in Thailand on much less than he would have to have available to him in Germany. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

Not at all. you can live quite comfortably in Thailand on much less than he would have to have available to him in Germany. 

I have enough money to support one household comfortably.

Be that a 3 bed house in Thailand, a bedsit in the UK, or a rural farm in France.

But I've got 2 Thai kids, which sort of suggests it's got to be the Thai house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it depends on the priority of these people.

I.e. I like (in no specific order) warm weather, friendly people, beaches, good food, pretty girls, no speed controls on every corner, relaxed atmosphere, service people like maids, no aggressive feminists, 24/7 opening hours, affordable prices in the middle of the city in high-rise buildings, 7/11 on every corner and and and.

I don't know too many countries but I don't know any country which is better considering my priorities.

If I would look i.e. for museums, affordable schools, strict law and order, etc. then Thailand would obviously be not optimal. But at least for me that are no priorities.

If someone has a couple of school aged kids then I can understand when they live i.e. in Europe.

So in fact what you are saying, is that everything is very relative. 

And that there is no "Thailand/Good" or "Thailand/Bad". 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I certainly think having hobbies and interests makes a big difference. 

True,but it sure is quiet out there...Im looking for long time GF,mine had to go back to the farm,I'm not following.....give that gal of your friends a call if available

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Is he one of the foolish ones that sold their homes to finance a life in Thailand ? 

You can't really define people as foolish for selling their houses to finance a life in Thailand, e.g. if I didn't sell my principal place of residence in Oz back in 2016 and cash up, the tax man would love me today.

You see on the 1st of July 2019 they brought in legislation stating that all expats (non-residence) such as myself would be taxed at the highest tax rate when we sell our property, and that would be for the capital gain, but wait there's more, the capital gains tax wouldn't apply for when I would have rented the property as I would have in 2016 if I decided to keep it, it would apply from the time I purchased it, so in fact any capital gains made on the property before I moved here, would go all the way back to when I purchased it, e.g. if I purchased it in 2000, for say a million and sold it on 2 July 2019 for 2 million, I would pay for arguments sake $840,000 in tax, instead of paying capital gains tax on it from the time I moved, i.e. 2016 to 2019, e.g. if I had the property valued in 2016 for example when I moved out of it for $1,500,000 and sold it for 2 million, the tax would be $210,000 vs $840,000, yep a big carrot that one, so it's not as easy as you suggest.

In hindsight, it has worked well for me, as I paid no tax, invested my money and have lived here for free since selling it, ok my investments are down thanks to Covid, but don't need to sell so will wait for the blue chips to come back up, might take 5-7 years, but I am ok with that as I still have funds in the bank to live off.

• Like 2

I like to have a drink,

after a couple of sips the quantity of beer in my glass diminished. 

Now some will say : "I stiIl have a lot," 

Others : "A lot is gone"

I know I don't have anymore what I had initially. 

• Like 1

Just now, luckyluke said:

I like to have a drink,

after a couple of sips the quantity of beer in my glass diminished. 

Now some will say : "I stiIl have a lot," 

Others : "A lot is gone"

I know I don't have anymore what I had initially. 

While I say 'fill it up' to the nearest serving girl in a beer dress.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

It all comes down to you and your own income levels. I suspect many would leave Thailand if they could afford to live the way they want to live in their own country or elsewhere in the world.

However, as Ginboy 2 has pointed out, there are so many exotic holiday destinations. From Miami Florida you can get all over the Caribbean, South America etc. in a couple hours. International flights from Orlando to all destinations. 

Lastly, for those that have lived in Thailand for years, you cannot possibly say, in a right mind, that Thailand is heading in the right direction. Military gov't, air pollution, tanking economy, baht rate, food and everyday expenses increasing each year. 

The fact is every single year something you change to put even more hard-ship on expats who are stuck there.

The fact that the government could care less about the welfare and contributions of expats as a whole should be a red flag worthy of having a Plan B.

Load of rubbish,if you could get out and about sure,but for many a year it will never happen,covid for many a year. get to old age,and have money,you sure are looked after here,two,three hour massage (if hot weather),saunas,swimming ,whoring,where else,got hobbies ,computers,mutts galore,big house and I mean BIG...home country finished

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

This is your quote from the first post

He cannot afford to go back and live in his home country

Awfully hard to go back to your home country if you cannot afford it!

If he cannot afford it, it isn't a choice worth talking about.

he doesn't talk about it. 

For me the choice of where I live is simple.

Stay here in comfort with my caring wife, family and friends.

Option 2 go home and live in a bed sit and hope I don't get robbed on my way to the shops.

Ok here I have to pay for hospital treatment, that still makes life here better

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Mine (all six) have always gone to government schools and done pretty well out of them.

In your age i hope you learn lesson! Pull off, or buy pills to woman lol. I have only one kid and it's enough. Alimony in Finland is crazy sht!

"He is not rich, but has no real money worries, lives in a nice enough house, in a nice area, but boy, he is very dissatisfied with his life.  He cannot afford to go back and live in his home country. "

He can't afford to go back and live in  his own country - that sounds like money worries to me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

A solid example to those that think if you leave Thailand you are a failure.

Same for me, 10 years was it.

Saw everything there was to see over the entire country in Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambo, Fiji, Bali. Years later it all became the same thing with a different name on the country.

For those that think returning to your home country is horrible?

Well I have a couple of thoughts on that?

If you had no education and some meaningless job in your own country and lived in a government flat, yes I can see where teaching English in Thailand is a step above and you would stay forever.

However, if you are in the category such as Ginboy 2, can go back to your home country, have a job, wife has a great job, kid in US college and being able to afford the middle + class life, why not? 

I am quite sure if many in Thailand could have that kind of life, they would pack it in tomorrow.

For retiree's, I honestly wouldn't want to spend my dying days in Thailand. Thanks but no thanks. If I loved the place that much and was healthy and could travel, maybe mid October to January then come back. The problem for me is, it is not that great a place compared to ALL the other great places I can go. Why do I need to holiday in the third world half way round the world, when I can be in Aruba in 2:10?

It all comes down to you and your own income levels. I suspect many would leave Thailand if they could afford to live the way they want to live in their own country or elsewhere in the world.

However, as Ginboy 2 has pointed out, there are so many exotic holiday destinations. From Miami Florida you can get all over the Caribbean, South America etc. in a couple hours. International flights from Orlando to all destinations. 

Lastly, for those that have lived in Thailand for years, you cannot possibly say, in a right mind, that Thailand is heading in the right direction. Military gov't, air pollution, tanking economy, baht rate, food and everyday expenses increasing each year. 

The fact is every single year something you change to put even more hard-ship on expats who are stuck there.

The fact that the government could care less about the welfare and contributions of expats as a whole should be a red flag worthy of having a Plan B.

On the flip side an example of where it seems to work is a Swedish friend of mine.

He was 'married' to some young girl, that clearly wasn't go to work, and after a few years he was done.

So he moved to Hua Hin, he loves golf, bar every night, and has a passion for the ladies of the night. Thats his thing, and he loves it.

He goes back to Sweden at least twice a year, so he's out of the country for probably 3 months a year.

He has a sister in Dallas and we visited him there last year while he was visiting. He was cock a hoop with his new single life, to quote him; "its all booze, birds and golf"

So all in all it seems to have better for him, if thats your thing

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I certainly think having hobbies and interests makes a big difference. 

yes. and ' heineken and LM red' do not count as hobbies. i think that's why a couple i know became disillusioned with their 'dream' life. you need a plan that revolves around your environment and expected term of residence. many seem to forget that. as did my friends..... they told their friends on the 'phone back home how great it was here, how hot it was, how long they'd had their feet up, and how much beer they'd been 'enjoying'. as soon as the call was ended, moan moan moan about the life they have here, how they have few friends here, how they hate where they lived, the soi dogs, the noisy neighbours, the exchange rate.... you name it...... but just about everything that could be complained about..... was complained about... sad thing is/was, they lived out their miserable existence through years of ill health. 

this was not the dream they liked to boast about, i guess it may have been 'uppance' and even 'saving face' to the long standing friends they had back in their home country.

no, they had no hobbies, no interests (except 60 smokes and 2 cases of beer a day) not interested in communicating to the locals. angry if 2 thai people spoke thai to each other in their presence.....

"YOU SPEAK ENGLISH OK!!!! ONLY ENGLISH HERE"

maybe paranoia was kicking in..... i heard nothing bad

why do some people retire here just for the miserable waiting for god experience?

• Like 2