Will masks and travel restrictions become permanent??

Who can say with assurance that wearing masks and having travel restrictions won't become a permanent part of  life as we know it for the foreseeable future?   Even if a vaccine is produced, does that mean there won't be measures put in place to prevent future pandemics?

9/11 servers as a  good example how a single event can change the landscape for the entire planet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

9/11 servers as a  good example how a single event can change the landscape for the entire planet.

If 9/11 happen in any other coundry that not chance much! Personaly i still want see other peoples face! 

I don't think they never can make vaccine against covid and that sad , coz then this kind protection continue in future!

Many have already stated that they will not participate in a vaccination program in numerous countries. There were already vast conspiracies concerning vaccinations prior to covid and now this situation is being worsened with online fear. Vaccinations will not work unless a large amount of the a population are inoculated. Therefore imo health measures and travel restrictions will be with us for years to come..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If an effective vaccine is developed and available I think what we will see is proof of vaccinatoon being required to board an airplane or enter a foreign country.

The current travel restrictions come at a considerable cost and will be eased as soon as there is a viable alternative.

And (except maybe for high risk venues like hospitals and clinics)  mask wearing is not feasible/enfotceable long term.

These measures ecist now because they are all we have

Trying to force a vaccination on people by excluding them from parts of life will not work imo. I believe that there has to be a general consensus among the majority that this substance will work and not make the situation worse by sickening you. Presently I don't believe that consensus is remotely there. This may not be possible by the misinformation campaigns being wagered in every country. I agree other countries may (and probably will) keep out those who don't comply but I believe people in that case will just stay home, and will probably fill the streets with protests (something no government wants). Polls and surveys taken have indicated substantial reluctance in taking any covid vaccine. I believe many will wait to see what happens to others after their vaccinations, social guinea pigging in a sense. It seems the 100's of thousand deaths aren't scaring many into following prescribed health emergency procedures for reducing infection rates and therefore be an unlikely impetus in deciding to be vaccinated also unfortunately.

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Sad 1

OP, you're asking people to speculate about the future and no one has a crystal ball. Think back 12 months ago. If someone told you that you would be forced to have a swab shoved up your nose and be tested for a virus before you could fly internationally, you would have labeled that person a conspiracy lunatic. If they told you people would line up for a chance to quarantine (self-imprison) in a hotel or hospital for 14 days just to be able to re-enter Thailand, you have have said that person was stark raving mad. If they told you that people would use apps that would monitor every time they went into malls or stores, again, most people would have labeled that bizarre conspiracy nonsense. That's the crazy world we live in now. While some will pretend they have special insight, the reality is nobody knows what will happen in the next 3, 6 or 12 months. Might all blow over.... or might get much worse.

• Like 1

Some mask news from the U.S.:

AMA [American Medical Assn.] campaign urges Americans to wear face masks

ADD TOPIC TO EMAIL ALERTS

The AMA recently launched the #MaskUp campaign to normalize mask wearing in the fight against COVID-19.

“COVID-19 respects no geographic, demographic or ideological boundaries, and unfortunately it shows no signs of going away any time soon,” AMA President Susan R. Bailey, MD, said in a press release. “Make masks part of your daily wardrobe and regular routine. By wearing a cloth mask, practicing physical distancing, and regularly washing our hands, we can all prevent the spread of COVID-19.”

Last month, the Council of Medical Specialty Societies called for a nationwide mask-wearing mandate. The American Hospital Association, American Nurses Association and Infectious Diseases Society of America have also urged Americans to wear masks.

https://www.healio.com/news/primary-care/20200807/ama-campaign-urges-americans-to-wear-face-masks

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I see the point of face masks where there is risk of infection. But that's not here in Thailand where there hasn't been a single local case in a couple of months which is several times the incubation period. Sure, there might be some silent asymptomatic carrier somewhere biding their time to explode in our faces but the possibility seems remote.

Off with masks! Down with social distancing! Rub shoulders and shake hands like it's 2019 again! In Thailand. Americans, stay away and do as your CDC tells you.

9 hours ago, Why Me said:

I see the point of face masks where there is risk of infection. But that's not here in Thailand where there hasn't been a single local case in a couple of months which is several times the incubation period. Sure, there might be some silent asymptomatic carrier somewhere biding their time to explode in our faces but the possibility seems remote.

Off with masks! Down with social distancing! Rub shoulders and shake hands like it's 2019 again! In Thailand. Americans, stay away and do as your CDC tells you.

Remember Vietnam? 

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A post with conspiracy nonsense has been removed.

Of course these measures will notvbe "permanent" (already I observe that they are being applied only selectively) but they may last for many months or a year or so, depending on what happens with the pandemic

And how can you say with certainty these measures will not become permanent?    I agree there's a lot of random and selective application of preventive measures at the moment.   We're certainly not finished with this pandemic and  we definitely can't see what's coming after it.

Edited by Andy from Kent

12 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

And how can you say with certainty these measures will not become permanent?    I agree there's a lot of random and selective application of preventive measures at the moment.   We're certainly not finished with this pandemic and  we definitely can't see what's coming after it.

Of course we're not finished with this pandemic but it's certain that eventually we will be. 

On 8/10/2020 at 10:46 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

They will if the afraid people win. So far they are. Governments love afraid people as easy to control.

After this one another is likely.

Yes there will be new pandemics in the future. But it sounds like you're implying that governments want that. I call BS. 

Sadly I think that the restrictions will last longer than strictly necessary as the Government is so proud of it's record of low infections.

However I have been to discos where only the staff wear masks and where no social distancing is taking place. I imagine plenty of brown envelopes are being paid over. Many of these discos are still operating at 6am.

The worrying thing is the hurdles set up for people who want to come to Thailand. If I wanted to take a holiday abroad I would face 2 weeks quarantine in the country that I visit and a further 2 weeks upon my return. Yet alone at 73 the cost of health insurance is over 124,000 baht. 

On 8/8/2020 at 5:02 PM, Jingthing said:

Not permanent but there are likely to be long term impacts. Also sorry to say this is not the last pandemic and the next one could be much worse. The good news is that the world will likely be better prepared next time. 

How likely is "likely"?

I guess I'm just naturally cynical. 

23 hours ago, scammed said:

this is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end,

we are as of now at defcom 2, and ready for an all out war

UGA-wear-mask-during-sex.jpg

Adding to the above, PP Clothing too would offer protection.

China White Non-Woven Dustproof Clothing PP Clothing Overalls Dustproof  Protective Coverall - China Intergrated Suit ...

On 8/8/2020 at 2:36 PM, Sheryl said:

If an effective vaccine is developed and available I think what we will see is proof of vaccinatoon being required to board an airplane or enter a foreign country.

The Flu kills millions of people lol there are Flu injections but we dont have to show proof of having these. Totally ludicrous. Look at other pandemics H1N1 virus over 60 million contracted that in america compared to the mere 4.5 million that now have Covid19 and there were no such bans in place when that was going on. Definetley something not right somewhere.

Edited by stretch5163
text error
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 4:27 PM, how241 said:

Only time will answer your question.  Check back next year for a update. 

Depending where in Thailand you are, you can since several weeks see less people wearing masks. People might have one in the pocket if they need to enter a 7/11 or another store that still demands a mask to be worn. Most restrictions are in place because of the emergency decree which is still in effect nationwide. 

• Like 1