Redeeming my Thai Airways credit

happyaussie

Just a heads up on redeeming flight credits due to Covid 19 cancellations.

I originally booked a business class flight through Expedia on Thai Airways BKK to Sydney. Flight was cancelled and I was issued a full credit. No problem.

Was informed that to rebook I must go through Expedia, fair enough.

When I contacted Expedia they informed me the price was going to more than double the credit amount. When I checked Expedia website the price was about the same as credit. When I questioned Expedia they told me it was for reissuing and airline policy.

So in a nutshell I would have been much better off and saved $700 by booking a new ticket and forgetting about credit. Or using it for something else. 

I called Thai Airways and they informed me this is wrong and immediatly reissued the ticket for the same price.

I'll never use Expedia again .

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Over the years I've found booking with the airline directly saves a few head aches when changing or cancelling tickets 

Normally. Yes. But this is TG, so definitely not.

AFAIK, they are still not processing refunds, or accepting chargebacks.

FWIW, I cannot really understand the OP's scenario...credit with Expedia, but TG re-issued the ticket? Who's got the cash now? If it's TG kiss that goodbye. Or maybe they'll give you some 7/11 stamps?

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Normally. Yes. But this is TG, so definitely not.

AFAIK, they are still not processing refunds, or accepting chargebacks.

FWIW, I cannot really understand the OP's scenario...credit with Expedia, but TG re-issued the ticket? Who's got the cash now? If it's TG kiss that goodbye. Or maybe they'll give you some 7/11 stamps?

According to Expedia, credit is issued by the airline under their conditions. Expedia are only the 3rd party booking engine. But Expedia did say to redeem I must book through them. Contrary to what the airline told me. Perhaps it was the type of ticket. Knowing these are uncertain times I paid extra to cover flight changes. My point is that Expedia tried to extort me. I agree, book direct with airlines.