Best Free Antivirus And Firewall?

twix38

I am about to buy a Laptop.

What is the best free Antivirus and firewall?

Antivirus: NOD 32, Kespersky 6.0, other?? One that updates from the internet only, please.

Firewall: I have Sunbelt Kerio, although after 30 days it reverts to free version, which I assume protects sufficiently? or another like Comodo, other?

Any suggestions, as above and please say why it is better than either Kespersky or Sunbelt Kerio (the 2 I believe are best at the moment)??

Many thanks

I am about to buy a Laptop.

What is the best free Antivirus and firewall?

Antivirus: NOD 32, Kespersky 6.0, other?? One that updates from the internet only, please.

Firewall: I have Sunbelt Kerio, although after 30 days it reverts to free version, which I assume protects sufficiently? or another like Comodo, other?

Any suggestions, as above and please say why it is better than either Kespersky or Sunbelt Kerio (the 2 I believe are best at the moment)??

Many thanks

Well Twix38,

As nobody seems interested or knowledgable today, I would agree.

Kespersky and Sunbelt Kerio. LOL

Well done!

Nod32 is by far the best AV out there. Although Kaspersky is excellent, nod32 has advanced heuristics, and rootkit detection capabilities that Kaspersky doesn't. It's also a few dollars cheaper.

If you go for a free AV, then Antivir has the best detection capabilities, or Avast, which doesn't have quite the detection capabilities that Antivir does, but has a really good mail scanner.

Windows Defender (free), or Ad-Aware SE Pro (not free) make good real time antispyware scanners.

If you have good antivirus and antispyware, and are behind a NAT router then you are fine with the Windows firewall. If you are a bit extra paranoid then Commodo or ZoneAlarm (free, not pro) will do the job.

Have to agree with cdnvic regarding NOD32. Certainly the best antivirus software I've encountered. Very low resource overheads too, so it won't slow your PC down like Norton does.

For Anti-Spyware I have been using Spyware Doctor from PC-Tools for the past 18 months. Great piece of software and consistently comes out tops in PC magazine reviews.

Unfortunately, both these products are not free. But the level of protection they provide and the hassles they save make them worth the handful of pounds to register.

AVG is a good free anti-virus, but the latest version is pain to update, you have reboot to update, an annoyance they put in to make you purchase the paid version I'll bet, Avast also do a free one but I've never used, ZoneAlarm (free) is good firewall

AVG is a good free anti-virus, but the latest version is pain to update, you have reboot to update, an annoyance they put in to make you purchase the paid version I'll bet, Avast also do a free one but I've never used, ZoneAlarm (free) is good firewall

You may want to see the detection rates in lab tests before going with AVG.

AVG: 92% avg over the last year.

Antivir: 99% avg over the last year.

If you want to use a freebie, at least use the best one. It doesn't cost extra.

http://www.free-av.com/

To go a bit further.

Does Nod 32 still provide full ongoing and updated on-line protection without loss of functionality? Many free options loose stuff after time, usually 1 month?

I was told a couple of times by different people in Tuk.com that Kespersky 6.0 was the best free antivirus. Is this simply not true and is Nod 32 really better? Just confused as it goes against what the so called experts told me at Tuk.com??

What's the verdict on Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall? Comodo was suggested, but what's wrong with Kerio or what makes Comodo free option better, please?

So, it sounds like I want to instal Nod 32 Antivirus, Kerio or Comodo firewall along with Antivir. Is that a good and sensible combination and is that enough on its own to provide at least an acceptable level of security and safety or would you recommend a different set of software or something extra?

Many thanks

Edited by twix38

Neither Nod32 ($39) or Kaspersky ($49) are free. Both have 30 day free trials at full functionality.

The best free antivirus so far as consistantly top marks in detection of malware is Avera Antivir.

It actually beats many of the more expensive Antiviruses in detection capabilities. There is a paid version which has more features, but so far as updates and ability to protect you from viruses it is not crippled.

Avast has a few more features than Antivir, and is more customizable, but it doesn't quite match Antivir's detection abilities.

DO NOT install nod32 and Antivir together, as two antivirus programs running at once will actually fight each other.

You want to install Antivir, Windows Defender, and whatever firewall you decide you like.

Edited by cdnvic

My point would be that I get NOD 32 loaded from Tuk.com for free and it updates off the internet and so is technically always up to date. I expect therefore that as you say "Nod32 is by far the best AV out there". Then if I get it installed when I buy, I am best to have this one only? Sorry I did not make this clear before.

So, NOD 32 antivirus, Windows defender and Sunbelt Kerio firewall instead of the default Windows Firewall would be a good and complete set?

I take it Windows defender is instead of something like Ad-aware or could I have both?

Anything else or other suggestions always welcome

Thanks very much cdnvic

Neither Nod32 ($39) or Kaspersky ($49) are free. Both have 30 day free trials at full functionality.

The best free antivirus so far as consistantly top marks in detection of malware is Avera Antivir.

It actually beats many of the more expensive Antiviruses in detection capabilities. There is a paid version which has more features, but so far as updates and ability to protect you from viruses it is not crippled.

Avast has a few more features than Antivir, and is more customizable, but it doesn't quite match Antivir's detection abilities.

DO NOT install nod32 and Antivir together, as two antivirus programs running at once will actually fight each other.

You want to install Antivir, Windows Defender, and whatever firewall you decide you like.

Edited by twix38

I use Kaspersky Internet Security and it works like a dream. Kaspersky is also the fastest to release new virus definitions (every hour), and the internet security suite includes firewall, anti-spyware and even anti-spam features. It is also lightweight and is not heavy on memory or CPU resources. A trouble-free solution and well worth the money in my opinion.