Motorbike book

Wongkitlo

Hi. My Thai wife lent some money to someone who gave her a motorbike as surety with the owners book. The owner has now disappeared as she owes many people. I was hoping someone would know if my wife can transfer ownership without the original owner whose name appears in the book being there. Unfortunately they didn't sign a loan agreement.

33 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

was hoping someone would know if my wife can transfer ownership without the original owner whose name appears in the book b

Difficult situation as you normally need owners ID card photocopy & owners housebook photocopy and 2 signed papers by owner. 

If it happened to me I would start at the police station and get a report from them saying what you're Mrs have reported and take it to DLT office and see if there's a time limit or a way of processing ownership of the bike in the future. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

How do all the "green" or "blue" book or "chanote" loan businesses handle procedures? These shops are everwhere in Thailand now. They must know how to secure their loan investments? Maybe see what they say. They are on many main streets. I tried to grab some streetview images of the ones I know but they are from 2 or more years ago and don;t show the company name. It seems that these places have only sprung up in the last year or so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, papa al said:

Just use the bike.

You can register/insure it each year if you have book.

Yes, but the legal owner can come and take it back at any time..just having the green book is not enough.

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

They get the transfer papers signed by the owner. If the owner fails to pay them back they simply take them to the DLT and transfer the vehicle.

Exactly the way to do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Thanks for all the advice. Not much of what I want to hear but not unexpected. She lent the money and of course now I am trying to sort it out.

Don't feel bad, you are not the first and will not be the last