Gentrification of Walking Street will see unsightly cables buried underground

webfact

2 minutes ago, transam said:

With zillions of cables hanging on lamp posts a fault can be sussed quite easily, when underground it is a different matter, I have the T-shirt, it was my job....????

They want to use modern practices in an old part of Pattaya, and near the sea.  There was always going to be problems.  

The whole of the Walking Street area needs redeveloping.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Leaver said:

They want to use modern practices in an old part of Pattaya, and near the sea.  There was always going to be problems.  

The whole of the Walking Street area needs redeveloping.  

Yes, they need to start to buldoze all the sea side illegaly built on the beach

some of the buildings are on cement pillars in very very bad condition due to

the age and the corrosion, it's just a disaster waiting to happen

imagine the number of victims if a disco full of people collapse

at night in the sea during the high season 

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As a telecoms engineer in a previous life, it's all very well putting cables underground, but the telecoms and other cables need to be impervious in the ingress of moisture.

Telecoms practice used to be to pump air into the cables at a specific pressure.

It not only kept the water out, but if there was a fracturing the the cable it 1) kept the water out by pumping in more air at a higher pressure, and 2) a system was constantly monitoring the pressure in the cables. If for some reason there was more air suddenly being pumped in, it raised an alarm instantly letting the staff know there was a problem.

I'm sure they'll be doing the same here :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

So basically a <deleted>....

That'll be ok in Walking street then.

Edit:

Ok, my rather crude description of air being blown or pumped was censored. But you knows what I mean.

Edited by faraday
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes, they need to start to buldoze all the sea side illegaly built on the beach

some of the buildings are on cement pillars in very very bad condition due to

the age and the corrosion, it's just a disaster waiting to happen

imagine the number of victims if a disco full of people collapse

at night in the sea during the high season 

They would probably blame it on a fictitious terrorist attack. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

I was here when they put those drains in. They dug a large ditch right down the middle of Walking Street, in the middle of High Season, and laid those pipes. Over 20 years ago.

They should be asking why those drains weren't being used. What were they draining (storm/rain water or sewage) ? Where were the inlets ? Where was the outlet ? 

As noted about, that wasn't an issue 22 years ago. I remember walking on narrow sidewalks on each side of the ditch, in the pouring rain. 2 years later it was completed and I remember sitting beside the street during a monsoon and marvelling at how well the drainage was working.

(You know all those nice hexagonal paving blocks that make up Walking Street ? That was when those were installed.)

W.T.Freddie ? As wide as 2 lane road ?!?!? (Which is what Walking street is. Or was.) 
Each lane is what, nearly 3 meters wide ? So they were going to put in a pipe that was 6 meters in diameter !??!?!

They are burying cables, not street cars ! C.rap, the work they are doing on Pattaya Tai isn't that big (as it isn't even a a single lane width for everything they are doing).

Frik, a pipe the width of a 2 lane road, they may as well just say to h3ll with it and turn it into a subway tunnel. 

Got to believe that 10 years from now (or less) they'll be talking about plans to dig up Walking Street to install new storm drains as it seems the old ones were blocked off for some dumb reason and had electrical cables run through them. Cables which don't seem to go anywhere or connect to anything and are sitting in pipes full of old sewage.

Maybe they plan to install overhead gantries to keep the cables up out of the s&&t :whistling:

15 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How so? 

Electronic billing system go down, so they just made up a bill for you?  

I believe he was implying that all sorts of hands started groping him in the dark though I suspect the only thing he lost was his virginity (again) !

I've experience 2 "blackouts" while in a bar/go-go on Walking Street. They usually happen during a heavy rainstorm when a transformer blows, or from a car hitting a power pole, or a bunch of wires catch fire like that one that happened near a 7-11 on Sukhumvit a year or so ago. Even though it was kilometers from my place, my internet was out for hours because it seems one of the main lines ran along the same poles.

For example, remember not too long ago there was a story about a transformer on Walking Street exploding during an early morning storm and the PEA didn't bother doing anything about it and a guy was electrocuted.
Had the bars been open at that time, there'd have been a black out for sure (and for sure PEA would have been there in a hurry).

All that usually happens is the waitstaff grab flashlights and the dancers take off to go eat or telephone their boyfriends. In some places that use electronic bills, they'd just start using old fashioned hand-written ones if need be (or stop serving). 
The lights never stayed off for long and it didn't happen often.

And sheesh, it was in the news a few weeks ago that they were going to dig up Walking Street to bury those cables. 
I remember they started to do it and everyone was harping about why they didn't start sooner (as they should have somehow magically known that everything would be shut down for months long before it actually happened).
And when they started digging they found those "ancient" pipes that didn't seem to be doing anything. (The "ancient" drain pipes that were put in just over 20 years ago. Apparently not "doing anything" because it hadn't rained in weeks !)

So what they are saying is that since then, they've done absolutely nothing ? The previous plan didn't have any massive pipes the width of the street going in. What did they do, just throw that plan away, sit for 2 months, then come up with this new idea ?

You can bet that if the gov't open the country up to tourists again, this project would be done and dusted in a flash as the owners of all those business' down there would be screaming pretty loud if it wasn't. But as a lot of them are closed and it doesn't look like there's going to be much of any tourism in the near future, it's not such a big deal if nothing gets done in a timely fashion.

16 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Um, nobody ever looked up at the wires on Walking Street...

Bill Gates complained about the wires in Thailand. Not sure if he was in the Walking Street too.

1 minute ago, CanadaSam said:

Mind blowing that they would not use this time when no tourists are around and many people desperately needing jobs to get this thing done! 

Why wait until December (peak high season) to start?

Don't expect any comon sense or logic here

TIT

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Oh I dunno? Perhaps they could train dogs to sniff out cooked rats.

Why, The dogs would just eat them.  Get a true tunnel rat to go in and get them, and then just put the barbequed rats out on a table and charge the Thai's 50 baht, they do like to eat them.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

How so? 

Electronic billing system go down, so they just made up a bill for you?  

Don't know .. couldn't see .. 

My mate reckons it would be like a game of pinning the tail on a donkey but without the blindfold .. 

23 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Mind blowing that they would not use this time when no tourists are around and many people desperately needing jobs to get this thing done! 

Why wait until December (peak high season) to start?

What High Season, Oh you mean 2021's High season.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

What High Season, Oh you mean 2021's High season.

I have a different view of this, I think very soon the folks in power will realize that the people will revolt (at least everybody who used to make a living in the tourist industry) unless they do SOMETHING very soon, like for instance, opening up certain tourist places for foreign tourists, with normal precautions like covid testing on arrival and perhaps before departure, and also perhaps restricting foreign tourists to those places only for the duration of their stay.

Minimize the risks, but re-start foreign tourism in time for high season (November/December 2020) so that their people can make enough money to eat 3 meals daily?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I have a different view of this, I think very soon the folks in power will realize that the people will revolt (at least everybody who used to make a living in the tourist industry) unless they do SOMETHING very soon, like for instance, opening up certain tourist places for foreign tourists, with normal precautions like covid testing on arrival and perhaps before departure, and also perhaps restricting foreign tourists to those places only for the duration of their stay.

Minimize the risks, but re-start foreign tourism in time for high season (November/December 2020) so that their people can make enough money to eat 3 meals daily?

They have to open the skies first and allow the airlines to take bookings, but then who at this point is going to want to come and vacation here if they have to be sequestered in a certain location, and have there movements all monitored. What about how the Thais that will be servicing there daily needs will feel about them not being quarantined first like there fellow country men and in light of what happened with the Egyptian Military personel.  You have to think about how those working in the hotels such as the room maids, eating venues, local stores and other people will also feel.  In order for that to happen the Thai Government needs to start , like yesterday, conditioning the people here to relax and not think of foreigners as dirty disease carrying people.  I went to the store this morning to pick up a few items prior to a meeting I was involved with, and plenty of folks in the store for some reason were giving me strange looks and basically stopping in there tracks, turning around and going the other way.  I was wearing a mask and was in my business clothes so I was not dressed inappropriately.  I would hope that the world would open up, but all people the world over need to be on the same page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Just another totally brain dead idea, drains that are not in use, they will be full of s++t.????????????

colin CALM DOWN......they can remove all the **it from the pipes.....(I have a brain !!), then put all the cables inside drains and Bobs ur Unkle job done !!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

colin CALM DOWN......they can remove all the **it from the pipes.....(I have a brain !!), then put all the cables inside drains and Bobs ur Unkle job done !!!

Chocolate covered encrusted pipes with wires inside.  Sort of like a Chocolate image.jpeg.cae822ed6634ab7ba1f90ddccbf33cd4.jpeg

• Thanks 1