Gentrification of Walking Street will see unsightly cables buried underground

webfact

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

However i note that you seem to be traumatized by the Sukkhumvit

tunnel experience as it's your usual example cited in most of your posts.

Yes it's not flooded, wow what an exploit !! still 5 years were necessary to build it

when everywhere else in the world less than 1 year would be enough, and 

with no flood too.

That was THE funniest example of TVF Engineering ever. The success of the Tunnel has left some of our posters traumatized, true, so that they STILL need to lie about it (5 years) and try to diminish the accomplishment as much as possible, even pretending that tunnels never flood anywhere in the world.???? This deflects from all the nonsense they spouted at the time. 

You talk about the successful burying of the cables on Beach road

conveniently you don't talk about the failure of the new drain system

on the same Beach road, or the dodgy renovation done on the seaside

That drain system is not yet finished. Seaside renovation's not bad, has been enjoyed for some time now, and is motivational. Hopefully, for sake of the renovation, the drain system will be partly finished soon. You haven't been given any contract for the completion date, you see.

Before the Tunnel was finished, our Posters said all the same things. "It's flooded already!" "Nobody's working on it." Etc.

One problem w/ the drain is that the structure just on Beach Rd. isn't enough, though it's a good start. Fixing the drainage of the streets & sois coming in would be extremely expensive.

in what ''world class resort'' anywhere in the world large parts of the beach

are destroyed after every rain and need buldozers actions on a regular basis?

"World class resort" is merely a TVF bashing trope. It's only "world class" here, for finger-pointing purposes. The rest of your post depends on that straw man fallacy.

Before, it's always been the flooding, BTW. Mongers pretend and whinge that they and thousands of tourists (in the rainy season) absolutely were going out to walk around Pattaya and sit on the beach in the rain, critically during those few days a year it really floods, but they just can't!

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

One problem w/ the drain is that the structure just on Beach Rd. isn't enough, though it's a good start. Fixing the drainage of the streets & sois coming in would be extremely expensive.

i totally agree with you on this

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Seaside renovation's not bad, has been enjoyed for some time now, and is motivational.

Not bad? You are content with little

the ''old'' walk on the seaside was great, before this new s...t

i could take dozens of photos to justify why i write it's a dodgy work

And what about the old ''monster'' wastewater treatment station just beside the Beergarden?

• Like 1

Sorry i gave up at midway on your ''War and peace style'' post 

However i note that you seem to be traumatized by the Sukkhumvit

tunnel experience as it's your usual example cited in most of your posts.

Yes it's not flooded, wow what an exploit !! still 5 years were necessary to build it

when everywhere else in the world less than 1 year would be enough, and 

with no flood too.

You talk about the successful burying of the cables on Beach road

conveniently you don't talk about the failure of the new drain system

on the same Beach road, or the dodgy renovation done on the seaside

in what ''world class resort'' anywhere in the world large parts of the beach

are destroyed after every rain and need buldozers actions on a regular basis?

Where can you see permanent giant water pump on site (Near soi 6) to help

and try to evacuate the flood?

Where in the world do you have a giant non functioning sewage station

in front of the main beach and just beside one of the main attraction (WS) ?

Come on...

A bit fond of exaggeration are we?  Just for the record, the tunnel did not take 5 years to build.  The new Beach Road drainage system is not a 'failure'; it is now handling most rains.  When there is flooding, 'large parts of the beach' are not 'destroyed'.  Instead, planned areas handle the runoff and are easily repaired. 

I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say 'dodgy renovation done on the seaside' but the expanded beach and promenade are now very nice, very clean, and attracting Thai visitors to the northern part of the beach that I observe from my balcony.  

I have no idea what is going on with the 'giant non functioning sewage station' but I will say with no exaggeration that it, and the whole area adjacent to the entrance to WS, are both very unsightly and I would like to see that whole area re-done.  And, let's either tear down or finish in some fashion Waterfront--such an added eyesore right now.  

7 minutes ago, newnative said:

I have no idea what is going on with the 'giant non functioning sewage station' but I will say with no exaggeration that it, and the whole area adjacent to the entrance to WS, are both very unsightly and I would like to see that whole area re-done.  And, let's either tear down or finish in some fashion Waterfront--such an added eyesore right now.  

I agree with you on this one

and the sooner the better (fingers crossed)

for the other part i am sure from your balcony all seems to be perfect

please let me comeback later with some photos if we not go too much off topic

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

In fact, Pattaya will never again have any tourists because they’ll go to MANY better places elsewhere, where they’re loved and wanted just for themselves and can drink 27-baht Tigers.

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/statistic/international?txtkey=&year=2020&period=t1

"International visitors to Viet Nam in 1/2020 estimated 1.994.125 arrivals, increase 16,6% over 12/2019 and up 32,8% over the same period last year. 2019. Total international arrivals in 1 months reached 1.994.125 arrivals, increasing 32,8% over the same period last year."

I guess the Golden Egg Layers have found a new nest.  ????

How was Pattaya this past high season?  

Scary stuff. 

Never underestimate the lure of 27 baht beers.  Oh, in air conditioned comfort, not under a tin roof.    ????

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 5:43 PM, BigStar said:

Yup, looks like they're going to exactly that. The drains are unused and a channel's a channel. Use what there is of the existing channel, modify as needed, and cover. Your problem?

Well, they would have, but sadly all those ace TVF Civil Engineers who'd advised on the Tunnel construction all jumped out of balconies upon realizing that water flows downhill and the Tunnel was just never gon' flood. For days you could hardly stagger around Soi Buakhao without hearing the loud thud of a body hitting nearby.

But don't give up hope. We've strong indications now that a new generation of ace keyboard engineers, safely confined at home, has arisen to offer sage advice, accompanied by the necessary chorus of sneers. Mind you, if Walking Street were torn up to dig new channels etc., that would be condemned just as loudly and suddenly real High Season is on--and utterly ruined!

And no matter the result, if a single cable (say, an internet cable) is spotted above ground, as it surely will be, power cables the main issue, then the entire project will have failed and our beloved Thais Are Stupid narrative confirmed. Problem is, after the cables have been buried around town, the electrocutions seems to have stopped in those areas. Most would agree that's a good thing. You remember that Brit electrocuted by a fallen cable in 2009. We don't want our lads in danger, now do we? I love this forum!

Given that the visual pollution is always from the phone lines, while it may save lives to bury the power lines it's not going to solve the "lack of visual beauty".

Even if they bury the existing phone lines ( and who would be brave enough to sort out that disaster ) it won't be long before another 100 lines are run overground by the oh so competent phone techs for anyone that wants a new phone line.

While there won't be any poles to suspend the phone lines from, they can just do what the clever techs did by my ex wife's village and just run them on the ground. What can possibly go wrong with that?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Hahahahaha .. I found it a superb read .. very eloquently crafted with a searing wit woven in .. so much so it reminds me of another member who used to write in a very similar vein .. can't think of his name now but it had something to do with cans of beer I'm sure .. 

I thought it more about his desired abdominal appearance.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, newnative said:

The new Beach Road drainage system is not a 'failure'; it is now handling most rains.  When there is flooding, 'large parts of the beach' are not 'destroyed'.  Instead, planned areas handle the runoff and are easily repaired. 

Saffron glasses much?

I saw Beach Rd flood from a normal rain shower, which any normal drainage system could handle.

In a proper system no part of the sand should be removed by rain runoff, PERIOD.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

i totally agree with you on this

Not bad? You are content with little

the ''old'' walk on the seaside was great, before this new s...t

i could take dozens of photos to justify why i write it's a dodgy work

And what about the old ''monster'' wastewater treatment station just beside the Beergarden?

I'd elaborate on your take on the walkway. The version before the version destroyed by the sterile present version was the best version. The previous version before they went mad mentally challenged was prone to flooding as they failed to put in any drainage, but it certainly had more soul that the present abortion wasteland of boredom.

As for the sewage plant, any civic employees capable of doing such vandalism should be arrested and incarcerated in it for life, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

Not so, fixing the drainage from the sois would be easy and not particularly expensive, as I've pointed out in a previous thread.

Beach Rd has a perfectly adequate drain already, but they either destroyed it when they widened the road, or they forgot to connect the side drains to it, or it is full of sand and rubbish from the many years it has been in existence. I'm picking the last two, as it's more profitable to put in new drains and maintenance is a foreign concept in LOS.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BigStar said:

Though we've lived in the End Times for over 20 years, COVID was the absolute last nail in the coffin. The Yearly Doom Prophecies have degenerated into Daily; doomsters run rampant in every forum thread except for a few pathetic Real Estate Agents and owners desperate to sell. Yep, Pattaya’s DONE. It’s OVER. RIP. No more yearly exhumations, autopsies, coroner reports, and obituaries. Now instead of ghouls and rituals, we just need some TVF Thomas Gray to compose a proper meditation on these ruins, our Elegy Written in a Drained Cesspool.

I've snipped it as far too long to quote it all- save a pixel; use less.

Good to see you back on your old form, as your recent missives have been rather subdued in comparison, but you must be really bored.

Looking forward to your next essays, and perhaps you should think of collecting them all, past, present and future in a book. Sure to be a best seller.

Keep up the good work.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good to see you back on your old form, as your recent missives have been rather subdued in comparison, but you must be really bored.

Must be because there was no Songkran this year, hence no need for the boring long Songkran thread

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Saffron glasses much?

I saw Beach Rd flood from a normal rain shower, which any normal drainage system could handle.

In a proper system no part of the sand should be removed by rain runoff, PERIOD.

Since you are far, far away you missed it but we actually had a heavy rain late yesterday afternoon and the new drainage system handled it well with no flooding in the parts of the beach and road I could observe and no sand erosion except perhaps a bit up by Dusit--a problem area with the road slope and the curve.  The rain was so heavy that there was standing water of a few inches on the road surface during the rain but no flooding over the curb like we used to get with heavy rains.  We drove the road a little after 6pm and the road and beach were both ok.

I think the new drainage system should handle most normal rains and some heavy rains that don't last more than an hour or so.  Longer, monsoon events will likely still cause flooding because the system will eventually be overwhelmed by runoff from other streets.  That's not unique to Pattaya.  Some Bangkok roads flood during heavy rain.  New York City had flooded roads the other day.   When big rain events do happen, the flooding on Beach Road, if it happens, should be gone more quickly with the new system.  Nobody said it's perfect but it is a distinct improvement--as a former Thailand old-timer you shouldn't have to be told we grade on a curve here.  

On 8/13/2020 at 12:05 PM, Bramley said:

What a load of garbled nonsense. Nobody is going to put cables (including electrical supply?) Into drains. And how can the 'pipe' (cable duct) need to be as wide as the street? ???? Don't they hace a civil engineer they can talk to?

THEY DO AND THERE IS ONE.....trouble is HE NOT Know what to do.....???!!!!