Explainer: Pandemic behaviour - Why some people don't play by the rules

snoop1130

Explainer: Pandemic behaviour - Why some people don't play by the rules

By Kate Kelland and Megan Revell

2020-08-13T061328Z_1_LYNXNPEG7C0BR_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-CALIFORNIA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People wear face masks as they use the beach boardwalk during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Huntington Beach, California, U.S., July 1, 2020. REUTERS/Mike Blake

LONDON (Reuters) - Lockdowns and social distancing measures introduced around the world to try and curb the COVID-19 pandemic are reshaping lives, legislating activities that were once everyday freedoms and creating new social norms.

But there are always some people who don't play by the rules.

Rule-breaking is not a new phenomenon, but behavioural scientists say it is being exacerbated in the coronavirus pandemic by cultural, demographic and psychological factors that can make the flouters seem more selfish and dangerous.

Here are some questions and answers on the science of human behaviour during the COVID-19 pandemic:

WHAT MAKES SOME PEOPLE FLOUT AND OTHERS OBEY THE RULES?

A key factor is individualism versus collectivism.

"Some countries...tend to be higher on individualism, which is about expressing your sense of identity and who you are as an individual," said Jay Van Bavel, an associate professor of psychology at New York University.

People in individualist cultures tend to reject rules and ignore attempts by public health authorities to "nudge" behaviour change with risk messages or appeals for altruism.

"If you say, for example, that wearing a mask will help protect others, people in individualistic cultures just care less," said Michael Sanders, a expert at the Policy Institute at King's College London.

In collectivist cultures, people are more likely to do what's best for the group.

ARE TRUST AND FEAR IMPORTANT?

Yes. These and other instincts are significant influences on human behaviour.

In societies with more political division, for example, people are less likely to trust advice from one side or the other, and also tend to form pro- and anti-camps.

Optimism and fear are also crucial. A little of both can be positive, but too much of either can be damaging.

"In a situation like a pandemic, (optimism) can lead you to take risks that are incredibly dangerous," said Van Bavel.

WHY IS SOCIAL DISTANCING DIFFICULT?

"We are truly social animals," said Van Bavel. "Our bodies and brains are designed for connection and the pandemic in many ways goes against our instincts to connect."

That's partly why local outbreaks can crop up in bars and nightclubs, or religious ceremonies, weddings and parties.

"People have a hard time resisting that tendency for social and group connection."

IF RULE-BREAKERS ARE A MINORITY, WHY DOES IT MATTER?

"The problem is that, in a massive collective problem like the one we're facing now, if everybody breaks the rules a little bit, then it's not dissimilar to lots of people not following the rules at all," said Sanders.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-13

How about talking about where we are, aka Thailand?

Local Family Mart: all the staff had masks below noses. If they had plastic face shield, it's in the up position. Sign in sheet flutter in the wind, no temp checks.

In the West it may be some sort of local tribal/ individualism "anyone beyond my circle doesn't matter"

I'd say here in Thailand it's more of a time span thing: huge time gap between cause (spreading virus to each other, and not knowing who spread it) and effect (having the virus).

Along with foolish belief young folks are immune and if you get it while young, no long lasting effects.

Culture here emphasizes present time, maybe yesterday and tomorrow occasionally.

If the first wave of Covid is waiting to pounce in Thailand it won't be too long as a large number of the population are now flouting the regulations that may have kept it at bay.

No cases for 5 weeks so no problem?

I do believe that is what Vietnam and New Zealand thought.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

If only it was that simple.  Your treatise ignores population size,  access to resources and prejudice. Keep in mind that for much of its history, the Nobel prize and other academic awards were subject to bias. The bias discriminated against  women, and multiple ethnic groups.  If your premise was true, then  small countries like Denmark, Israel, Canada, Australia and the Netherlands should not have  the relatively large number of Nobel laureates that they have.

There is indeed a cultural component to the spread of the  infection and the willingness to comply with common sense prevention procedures. Another factor is education. The better educated people are, the more likely they are to understand what needs to be done  and the benefit of compliance.

Some US states like New York and New Jersey  undertook public education programs, and had governors who were transparent and honest with the public.  There was a consistent message. The non compliant states do not have public education programs or a state government that consistently supports the  common prevention methods. A small group in the US forces their non compliance on the majority and they often do it through bullying; swarming events with their firearms and attacking people with a barrage of insults like lib-tard, snow-flake, pussy, etc. Foreign agents push misinformation, bombarding  social media with  rumors and false information with the intent to destabilize and sow animosity.

In the UK, we see non compliance specific to certain ethnic groups  and we see a government that is disorganized and incapable of  providing a clear, consistent and coherent national policy. The UK population  gets conflicting messages. One day they are told all is well, go back to work, then the next day, oooops, a city must be locked down,travel corridors suspended etc.  The non compliant people are same ones we see vomiting on Bangla Rd., or pee-ing on the street in Koh Samui or shoplifting in Pattaya. They don't care about anyone but themselves and would have done well on the  old Jeremy Kyle show.  No one ever puts them in their place.

Denmark, Norway, Canada, Finland and even the difficult to manage , Australia have all had the same exposure to Covid19 and have a similar type of ethnic mix, yet they have been able to obtain much higher rates of compliance. The key difference is that the national government and the provincial/municipal/state  governments all worked together, putting aside political differences.  

Excellent post and well summarized points.

I would note the first one in particular - the fellow who claimed that "more Nobel Prizes are won..." as being indicative of a deeper issue that is common to the USA, UK and Thailand. That is the fundamental "myths" they have constructed as their "origin story" and accepted as unadulterated truth rather than the obvious propaganda it always was. Thus, the rich see only that they were smart and took risks so believe they're an individual success, whereas they don't recognize that their friends and family gave them a leg up and they always had the resources to avoid the consequences of failure. It's a closed circle of ignorance that feeds upon itself. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Excellent post and well summarized points.

I would note the first one in particular - the fellow who claimed that "more Nobel Prizes are won..." as being indicative of a deeper issue that is common to the USA, UK and Thailand. That is the fundamental "myths" they have constructed as their "origin story" and accepted as unadulterated truth rather than the obvious propaganda it always was. Thus, the rich see only that they were smart and took risks so believe they're an individual success, whereas they don't recognize that their friends and family gave them a leg up and they always had the resources to avoid the consequences of failure. It's a closed circle of ignorance that feeds upon itself. 

This was true in the times of Darwin and Einstein, much less today.

A Japanese or a South Korean has as much opportunity and help to perform as an American or an Italian, and yet there is still more creativity and discovery by the latter, while the former are still more inclined to imitate and copy.

Just one example: the smartphone...a Steve Jobs creation, then copied by South Korea (Samsung) and China (Huawei and many others).

Being creative is different from being smart, or smarter than the others.

In fact, Asians generally perform much better than Westerners in most international contests (maths, physics and so on), but they are wired differently, for cultural reasons dating back centuries.

These differences also explain why Asia is doing much better than the West when it comes to dealing with the pandemic.

One can't have it both ways...each his own victories...

I am resisting the urge to say "the Wuhan China virus is no more harmful than the flu"  but it could possibly be.  We know for a fact the oldies with pre-existing conditions are in the high risk category but can't we deal with them separately and let the rest of us get on with life.  

At 67 years of age I do have some concern about the Wuhan China virus being in the community, is it?, but the risk of catching it and dying is low.  On the other hand, If I was in a nursing home with a sick body I would be extremely worried about it.

So despite wearing a facemask and using hand gel at Makro the lack of social distancing whilst shopping and the fact what I just touched may have been touched by someone else with an infection (name one) is of some concern to me.  But the lack of new cases in the general population is reassuring to some degree.

I watched a video this morning about a virus situation from long ago: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

For all the people who think that following the rules is a good idea:

This it what they do to children !!!

image.png.147dd42d66e11ab51d0fe8d696681d39.png

What exactly are they doing to children here? They are sitting at their desks that are equipped with the same kind of barriers you can find in restaurants. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, englishoak said:

Yup your aware a common cold or the flu can kill the infirm and have you ever locked yourself down out of concern  ? nope you havnt.. 

Im also aware when i get in the car i could have a ping pong accident and kill someone, but i still drive .. how many deaths on the road in Thailand annually ? do you get in a car or go on the road  ? 

Do you also think that it makes no difference whether you drive drunk or sober? These rules aren't just about protecting yourself but also about protecting others.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2