Richard Barrow may not have his visa renewed and could be forced to leave Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, Jack Hna said:

What accent does this Brit have? Where in UK is this self promoting selfish misguided buffoon from?

Reading about this chap it sounds like he failed at a very early age in the UK gave up and got his family to help him get a foothold here and the result has been his helpers have helped him keep the same job for 26 years and to pay them back he goes Rambo on the Thai gov in his last couple of years. So instead of being thankful for the fact he has held the same post and feeling lucky. He starts hurting the very country that made him want to call this his home.

Hurting Thailand? come on... How is he hurting Thailand ????

He’s raises awareness about issues many feel is unfair - Dual Pricing, TM30 and also re-tweets news.

I don’t follow him or any of his tweets, but I am aware of who is is due to the TM30 support and his current action against dual pricing which not quite the same as ‘going Rambo’ to make such a hyperbolic accusation weakens your point. 

Additionally, what difference whatsoever does it make where this guy is from in the UK (I have no idea). 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Everybody pays the same in the UK, citizens, residents and tourists. That's the way it should be and it's fair to everyone. Citizen days for free is a good idea and I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

If I were in-charge, i would go with the "citizen's days" - if for no other reason, than better PR-Spin AND Thais having some exclusive-access their cultural-sites w/o crowds. 

There were a couple times the wife and I went somehwere, and just turned around and left, rather than fight our way through the "follow the flag" hordes.  Signficant price-increases could fix that too, of course - to the consternation of some. 

• Like 1

Just now, SteveK said:
3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He’s raises awareness about issues many feel is unfair

He's raising issues that he feels are unfair. But it's not his country. 

Does it have to be?

NGO’s targeting trafficking? is not their country either? 

I know its vastly different and quite a poor example - but when is it acceptable to voice an opinion about issues in a country we live in, are married to (in), have children in, but were not born in?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I  during my lifetime have lived in quite a few countries and I discovered that it can be a wee bit dangerous to criticise even in a mild way that country.  

I remember many years ago, during the Viet war.  There were quite large marches and protests (my bosses let the whole office have the time off to attend).  A French prof at the Melbourne Uni tied himself to a

fence in protest

against Aus.presence there.  Within 24 hours, he was on a plane for Paris.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

They could offer citizenship to long staying expats instead of making people renew visas. It's one of the things that puts me off staying long term that you have no real rights or say.

PR would be fine with me.  I don't need to vote in Thai elections, buy their land from them, or work the handful of restricted-to-Thai jobs.

55 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Answer this simple question to unconfuse and unbias yourself... would you rather A) pay a lifetime of sales tax before entering a park or B pay an extra 100 baht to get in. If you did not just realize you got a deal to get in at that price you got some math problems. 

I agree, but go further.  They are Thai Citizens.  At anything govt/public/heritage related (wats, etc), i have NO Issue with them getting in free, discounted or whatever.  Citizenship Should Matter - nothing wrong about that.  Self-Preservation forms of Nationalism are Good.

When I go off on Immigration-Corruption, it is not only about 'me' - it is about the Thais I know whose jobs were destroyed by 'crackdowns' on self-funded foreigners - entire streets of jobs boarded-up for nothing but because they were not paying off imm through an agent.  Soon, many will lose their husbands, due to the same - because we cannot "go out for a visa," now. 

Immigration wrecks far more Thai lives with their corrupt-greed - and more badly - than farang-lives.  We can move to Vietnam or whatever (pre/post covid) - not so easy for them.   Immigration's selfish-betrayal of their own people is what I find most disgusting.

The one possible good thing that could come out of Barrow's having to leave, is he could shine light a bright light on this.  That said, I don't wish it on him.

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

If I were in-charge, i would go with the "citizen's days" - if for no other reason, than better PR-Spin AND Thais having some exclusive-access their cultural-sites w/o crowds. 

There were a couple times the wife and I went somehwere, and just turned around and left, rather than fight our way through the "follow the flag" hordes.  Signficant price-increases could fix that too, of course - to the consternation of some. 

It's going to be a while before those Chinese tour groups with their flags are back. Maybe time for them to work out better ways of having hordes of tourists visiting historical places and come up with a sustainable strategy.

Last time I visited a place with dual pricing was the Golden Mount in Bangkok, I think foreigner was 100 baht which is reasonable, but I wouldnt pay more than that if Thais are getting in free.

7 hours ago, Heppinger said:

Thailand's power structure survived the Japanese during ww2, communist's in China, the NVA in Vietnam, Pathet Lao in Laos and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.  Weak, Incompetent and feeble are not words i would use to describe the Thai Army. 

OK. How about just incompetent? They got an awful lot of help along the way. Without the massive infrastructure investment of the US in the late 1950's and early 1960's, they might have remained where Laos is today. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
9 minutes ago, SteveK said:
11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He’s raises awareness about issues many feel is unfair

He's raising issues that he feels are unfair. But it's not his country. 

Does it have to be?

NGO’s targeting trafficking? is not their country either? 

I know its vastly different and quite a poor example - but when is it acceptable to voice an opinion about issues in a country we live in, are married to (in), have children in, but were not born in?

Your emoticon response suggests you are ‘confused’ SteveK... 

About what?  

Do you think foreigners should not voice any opinion about what goes on in Thailand, even if it impacts them?

I hope the government will look at his long contribution to tourism in Thailand. His articles are very thorough and help open up new parts of Thailand to foreign tourism. The dual pricing information is not likely to stop people visiting Thailand (in the future) but we have to remember that there are many parts of Thailand worth visiting, not just the places that gouge foreigners. 

Not sure why he has not applied for permanent residence but he has been here long enough to apply. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Last time I visited a place with dual pricing was the Golden Mount in Bangkok, I think foreigner was 100 baht which is reasonable, but I wouldnt pay more than that if Thais are getting in free.

Some foreigners clearly believe they should be paying more... their justification for dual pricing undying. 

Thus: I would suggest - eradicate dual pricing and those foreigners who believe they should be paying 10x more because they are not paying a lifetime of sales tax (VAT) or years of income tax can support whichever place it is by offering 10x more. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SteveK said:

He raised the issue of dual-pricing, portraying it as a scam against international visitors at a time when tourism is already decimated and the country is trying to figure out how to get the industry going again. You can be sure that someone's not particularly pleased with hm.

They should love him for calling out the 2-price thing. The only tourists they have to draw from now are domestic and farang living here. Many of us don't do the touristy stuff because of the double pricing. The powers that be should put the pressure on their double price destinations to eliminate the practice to draw more expats. But then that would make sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some foreigners clearly believe they should be paying more... their justification for dual pricing undying. 

Thus: I would suggest - eradicate dual pricing and those foreigners who believe they should be paying 10x more because they are not paying a lifetime of sales tax (VAT) or years of income tax can support whichever place it is by offering 10x more. 

Whatever foreigners believe, they should just remember that ultimately this is Thailand and not their country. Trying to be a militant social justice warrior won't achieve anything except maybe denial of your next visa application. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SteveK said:
11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whatever foreigners believe, they should just remember that ultimately this is Thailand and not their country. Trying to be a militant social justice warrior won't achieve anything except maybe denial of your next visa application. 

I agree...  but a Militant Social Justice Warrior is somewhat of a hyperbolic exaggeration in this case, i.e. for someone who is running a blog and has raised awareness for some issues many foreigners in Thailand would like to see resolved. 

Rather him than me of course. But I see value in the benefit such people can bring, especially when easing some of requirements and issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:
13 minutes ago, Pinot said:

OUT <deleted> STANDING!!! Exactly! You hit the nail on the head, Hepp.  Richard Barrow is what we should aspire to be. Richard Barrow is a hero of mine, selfless with a conscious. 

Note to Richard Barrow...you must be reading through these comments and asking yourself why do I even bother trying to help these ignorant morons? Please remember that people who follow you, know you. Your covid coverage has been the best source of exactly what's going on. You're an admirable travel blogger and a teacher with a voice for farangs, maybe our best voice. 

Some of these posts...tsk 

if he is reading this, and your post, understand this Richard old cock, more people living here think that you are an arrogant irresponsibility nob head than think as the poster above thinks. You have been stupid enough to get caught out, like a last man standing, bringing attention to issues that should be none of your concern to challenge, because you are an alien foreigner, not Thai, so keep your nose out of their business.  As it is, they are removing your nose from their business.  ....... message ends ......... 

Pilotman - you’re going to need a poll for that !!!!!

[more people living here think that you are an arrogant irresponsibility nob head]

....and one which takes a proportionate representation of foreigners here not just the sour bitter members of this forum who are unable to see the good in anyones attempts to do anything. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Hmm well yes and no. My wife and stepdaughter are both naturalised British citizens. Before that came to be, I personally my daughter to question everything she was told by her British teachers, anyone on the street, anyone in civil service, in stark contrast to what she'd experienced in the first few years of life. Now, it wasn't her country of course, but would her questioning of what she was told have been less legitimate had her British stepfather not encouraged her to do so? Or, is she more entitled now after being registered British? Now we came back to Thailand, I am the only one in my entire family that doesn't have 2 passports. Even so, the rules, regulations and general bureaucracy directly affect not only my life, but the lives of my Thai wife and kids. Should I delegate the complaints to them it's only the effects on their lives that matter?

"Militant social justice warrior". . . come on man, really?

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:
17 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Good discussion this, but it's time for the pub and I cba to write messages on my phone. £2.99 San Miguel pint is calling my name...(no dual pricing either).

I think Thais get it for £2  ????

But ThaiVisa forum members sat on the steps of a 7-11 get it for £1 a can.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Richard uses Samat Prakarn Immigration I think.

Probably just wanting a bribe to renew as has been my experience.

Make it easy . 

Use a good Agent . Many advertise their services on T.Visa.

Edited by elliss