Richard Barrow may not have his visa renewed and could be forced to leave Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I was one of the first bloggers and now I’m probably the longest running travel blogger in Thailand. 

Stickman Bangkok also started his blog in 1998 and he traveled all over reviewing "entertainment" venues, 555.

Also Bernard Trink wrote a "Nite Owl" column for the Bangkok Post  for 37 years, which makes him the longest running "blogger", young feller. ????

I read Trink religiously till they sacked him. Happy days then. Perhaps that was the beginning of the decline of Thailand as a preferred destination for western men.

'Nuff said.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I read Trink religiously till they sacked him. Happy days then. Perhaps that was the beginning of the decline of Thailand as a preferred destination for western men.

'Nuff said.

If not, by now Thailand would have had a majority in Western men! Sometimes, blessings come in disguise.

'Nuff said.

Loving all the 'holier than thou' comments. I was banned for using the word 'delusional' about comments at one point. It was to do with influencing the TM 30 thing and how Thaigeezers were responsible for the change. it was a very pompous arrogant attitude to take but it was determined that I was not speaking in generalities but against one person (guess who?) by someone who clearly doesn't process basic grammar. People have used far harsher words than 'delusional' about people here but because it was deemed to be about a White Knight' I disappeared for a while.

I stand by my comment as it WAS true- this Forum does not have one iota of influence when it comes to decisions made by the Gov't. Without mentioning anyone by name raising one's head above the parapet is never a good idea in a country like this.

Break the rules, pay the price.

Edited by Psimbo

1 minute ago, asiacurious said:

To my previous reply to your post I add the following question....

What does "that came to Thailand too late to properly enjoy it" mean?

Here's the whole sentence for context (emphasis added):

It may not be what you intended but describing sex working women as "succubus" gives a strong sense of how you might view all women generally, not merely those who work in the sex industry.  It sounds like "to properly enjoy it" may mean, to you, having a lot of sex without paying for it (in your case because you were young and successful).  Wouldn't that just make you a young and successful sexpat?

I think he was more into the lady boys who would constantly refer to him...... hey sexy man.... you young look good.... i go with you ok....   

probably he started believing it after hearing it every night 

6 hours ago, 473geo said:
16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Does it have to be?

NGO’s targeting trafficking? is not their country either? 

I know its vastly different and quite a poor example - but when is it acceptable to voice an opinion about issues in a country we live in, are married to (in), have children in, but were not born in?

When generations of your family have lived off subsistence farming, and you have learnt that advocating foreigners buying land is taking the food out of the mouths of future generations!! When you learn to be unselfish and generous to your hosts rather than look to make things easier for those who would come and trample all over them!!

So only poor farmers should have a right to voice their opinion ??? you see the flaw there, right?

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That is BS.  There is no separate pricing for Thais in the UK, or indeed for any tourists.  Rather the opposite, as they can get big discounts from their tour operator for attractions and that happens in Thailand too.  

For me England would be in last place to visit. Who wants beans on toast and raw bacon for breakfast? Attractions are like what? Nothing.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 11:54 AM, dimitriv said:

Some people get a 6 figure income with blogging. 6 figures in USD, not in Baht.  

And 1/1,000,000 guitar players become rock stars making 6 figures.  Yes I agree, but IMO it is a very small fraction of the total, like one in a million.  But am old and do not really understand how it all works to be honest

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or you have been out of touch. 

We’re you aware there was a group of Expats who presented a Petition against TM30 (Immigration Law 37) to Thai Immigration last year ???

And then there is his criticism of Dual Pricing. Some on this forum disagree with his voice and see this as a foreigner interfering with Thai issues, we are guests etc etc.. 

Frankly I’m astonished that here is so much hate against someone who is attempting to do some good for the expat community. 

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished... 

I'd say he was mostly into self promotion, 

10 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

For me England would be in last place to visit. Who wants beans on toast and raw bacon for breakfast? Attractions are like what? Nothing.

Real beer. 

Best all year long gray sky's

worst Pm on the planet. 

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

I stand by my comment as it WAS true- this Forum does not have one iota of influence when it comes to decisions made by the Gov't. Without mentioning anyone by name raising one's head above the parapet is never a good idea in a country like this.

Perhaps not this forum specifically - however....  this may have made a difference. https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/07/sign-the-petition-to-reform-thai-immigration-and-article-37/ 

Less than a year later the TM30 rules were relaxed. Whether or not the attention brought by Richard Barrow and the Group of Expats who brought the petition to senior Immigration officials is obviously going to be debated by some who don’t like him. 

I would like to see the same action taken against the requirement for 90 day reporting and like him or loath him, it takes people like Richard Barrow to bring awareness to the ’silly stuff’ we have to deal with, without which life would be a little bit simpler. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

You get 2 for 1 in england though, you can visit stonehenge in the country and then visit the bazaars of pakistan in london.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps not this forum specifically - however....  this may have made a difference. https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/07/sign-the-petition-to-reform-thai-immigration-and-article-37/ 

Less than a year later the TM30 rules were relaxed. Whether or not the attention brought by Richard Barrow and the Group of Expats who brought the petition to senior Immigration officials is obviously going to be debated by some who don’t like him. 

I would like to see the same action taken against the requirement for 90 day reporting and like him or loath him, it takes people like Richard Barrow to bring awareness to the ’silly stuff’ we have to deal with, without which life would be a little bit simpler. 

If the TM 30 and/or TM47 stuff is so important you must lead a very shallow life. It's of no concern to me. Always very easy.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Could that be because you can’t understand that others have different goals.

i.e. you can only understand someone wanting to do something like that if they were ‘attention hunters’ ???

Maybe he does ’hunt attention’ and is into self promotion - does that detract from any of the good he is trying to do for the expat community.

Personally - I never really read much of RB, but was aware of some of the work he has done, I have seen give voice to some issues which would stand to benefit us as Foreigners in Thailand. 

I am not particularly in great support of RB, I’m rather ambivalent. However, I am quite against those who are attacking him for ridiculous and childish reasons.

It seems there are so many angry and aggressive people on this forum without any real concept of balance, those who hate to see someone else ‘doing something good’.

You make it sound like there is a cohesive "expat" community in Thailand. If there is, I want no part of it and will chose my own group of friends both Thais and foreign. Frankly many foreigners here are weird and contribute very little. RB can lead his own life, write things of interest (sponsored by TAT) and stop advising others on immigration issues.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So only poor farmers should have a right to voice their opinion ??? you see the flaw there, right?

Poor response Richard, Thai people have the right to voice their opinion after all they were born here. The question you posed stated 'not born in' as in foreigner, and that is the question I answered.

You have openly stated on this thread you feel foreigners should be able to own land, they can under the correct circumstances, to build a home. I feel that is generous and adequate, given the subsistence system operated for the rural Thai people. You yourself have children and a Thai wife? They can own land, why is that not enough for you?

He only passed last year because some influential people in the government called the chief of Immigration - he writes. We don't know what the reason was last year. We also don't know why some influential people would help him. And this time the immigration was at his home for 3 hours. Doing what? Drinking coffee? 

I think in his situation I wouldn't report all this here on ThaiVisa. And since he will know the final verdict next week why not wait at least until then... 

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

Yet another Troll? 300% inflation within a year? Really?

could be hyper inflation right? maybe they kicked out all the white farmers like Zimbabwe, or maybe sanctions like Venezuala.  Just listing the options, hate the game not the player , i'm on your side 

40 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

OK that's, but would not bring me to the UK.

The UK is one of the most interesting and diverse countries on the planet. 

So much history, scenery, great pubs and of course Scotland is continuously voted the most beautiful country in the World. 

Having travelled extensively on six continents the UK has more to offer than any other country I've ever visited. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1