Richard Barrow may not have his visa renewed and could be forced to leave Thailand

webfact

6 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

It's like saying I prefer to be charged £12 for a pint instead of £4 that my friends pay, very odd to like being charged more.

Lets keep it real : Its like you being charged £ 4 for a can of beer from an off-licence and your mate getting charged £ 1

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mvdf said:

I love it. Never bite the hand that feeds you. It's rude, downright and shamelessly ungracious and brazenly ungrateful. The Kingdom warmly welcomes all from the freezing upper latitudes to visit, live here and enjoy the life-giving tropical warmth almost absent in their own countries. Be gracious and reciprocate with a grateful heart... and mouth.

I hope, that was sarcasm!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Nonsense. It's just a big cash grab. 

Your statement might hold some water if the foreigner price came first and was the 'normal' price with Thais getting a discount.

But that isn't the case. The price was the same for all, but suddenly the price for foreigners raised anything from three-fold to ten-fold.

They've been ripping and living off foreigners off for too long. Now the chickens are coming home to roost.

I can't believe how cheap some people are. I really disgusting. If you don't like it stay home. You aren't entitled to any freebies because your a xvxct falang. Either pay and go or stay home. If I had to count my change every time, I'd stay home. Additionally, falongs arguing about pricing is should be very embarrassing to their Thai partners, since others are looking down at them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

Not surprised, you can't even stop your young girls from being gang raped by immigrants. Your the very definition of weak. 

Oh dear, you read right wing conspiracy theories too, you must feel at home in Thailand with the racism and xenophobia against foreigners.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, barney42bb said:

Richard.... You are merely Another foreigner coming unstuck in Thailand... Because your a bad guest in the eyes of the authorities.

The rules are not difficult to observe.

It's not your country...Leave if you don't like it.

But I think that decision has been made for you. 

I have absolutely no issues abiding by the rules and meet visa requirements with ease (3 visa options available to me).

I also have many close friends in Thailand, a handful of whom are Immigration Officers, they too agree with the criticisms I present, they too have more of their own criticisms in the requirements, systems and procedures. 

The rules are easy to observe and abide by, that doesn’t mean they are necessary. 

Do you not find a certain impracticality and sense to the 90 day report regulation?, yearly extensions? the TM30 reporting requirement (now not longer a requirement) - these are all issues which while not preventative, could be eradicated as they are wholly pointless. 

As far as the ‘It's not your country...Leave if you don't like it’ comment - don’t be silly, thats widely known as one of the dumbest arguments on this forum !

• Like 1

The fact that he also had a problem renewing last year and they visited his workplace seems to suggest there is something a bit marginal about his salary, job, workplace or employer’s documentation. Can’t blame him for not wanting to be more specific.

He doesn’t post anything wildly controversial and definitely does a lot to promote tourism.

I hope he can get it resolved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

You either like a quiet life and keep your mouth shut, or get vocal, upset some people and accept the consequences. You can't publicly criticise a country that you are only a guest in, then act all hard done by when you get hassled as a direct result.

You can in my homecountry!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I can't believe how cheap some people are. I really disgusting. If you don't like it stay home. You aren't entitled to any freebies because your a xvxct falang. Either pay and go or stay home. If I had to count my change every time, I'd stay home. Additionally, falongs arguing about pricing is should be very embarrassing to their Thai partners, since others are looking down at them. 

Its not a freebie that those who dislike dual pricing are expecting..... they are simply objecting to being double charged based on nothing other than being non-Thai. 

Every Thai I know also objects to Dual Pricing. In fact, pretty much many of the objections I see discussed on this forum are also mirrored by Thai’s in Thai forums such as Panthip - Many of our criticisms overlap - dual pricing is one of them. 

Visa’s issues are another. I have the same criticism of the UK. Why would a Thai received just a 6 month Visa to the UK, why not just give 5 years or so to make it easier to come and go? The US gives 10 year visas. 

The Visa regulations world wide are unnecessarily prohibitive. I agree with someone lobbying against some of the unnecessary requirements in Thailand. 

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

You either like a quiet life and keep your mouth shut, or get vocal, upset some people and accept the consequences. You can't publicly criticise a country that you are only a guest in, then act all hard done by when you get hassled as a direct result.

He needs to give up social media, him and twitter are like oil and water they don’t mix well. His COVID updates are ok but everything else to do with corruption and Xenophobia in Thailand is ultimately what has landed him in trouble.

most of us don’t even care and don’t go to these places anyway, those who do can’t come here anyway for a while so what’s the point poking the beehive in the mean time.

honestly think he needs to get out of his social media bubble and find a new interest. 

• Like 2

Just now, tribalfusion001 said:

Hardly, I'm off to Rome next week followed by Athens and maybe a trip to Dortmund on the way back. And guess what no dual pricing in any of those countries, `I'm loving it' as McDonalds would say...

The fact you would have to mention how "happy" you are just shows how insecure and demoralized you really are.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Popular Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow has tweeted to say that it is unlikely his “visa” will be renewed and he may be forced to leave Thailand. 

Sometimes being a "blogger" and rocking the boat can get you in the smelly stuff... if you want to publicly tell the truth then find a country that will accept it. 
Thailand is not that place.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

One reason, among many others, is let's say we are talking about a National Park here. 

These places are funded in part by taxes, sales and income tax. 

Average Thai pays sales tax that can help fund these parks for their entire life, let's say 70 years. 

Average tourist pays sales tax for maybe two weeks, and they can get some of it back at the airport if the purchases qualify. 

70 years of funding vs two weeks in this case. 

Like I said, this is not the only reason. But it does not matter hoe many reasons I give or how legitimate the points are, because you have decided it is an effrontery, and by golly, you must be right because it costs you more to enter. Truth is, it is a bit more complicated than you seem to have (selfishly) thought.  

Flawed argument.... 

What about the Foreigners with Work Permits here who have paid years of Tax and are still double charged. 

Additionally, many Thai’s do not pay tax...

I have not seen one single valid argument ever which justifies dual pricing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

The fact you would have to mention how "happy" you are just shows how insecure and demoralized you really are.  

Wow, an Australian psychiatrist, must get plenty of work down under. I know it must be hard being the only token farang in the village, but help is at hand, just chat to the crazy guy drinking lao khao.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Flawed argument.... 

What about the Foreigners with Work Permits here who have paid years of Tax and are still double charged. 

Additionally, many Thai’s do not pay tax...

I have not seen one single valid argument ever which justifies dual pricing.

Do the taxi drivers, motorcycle taxi drivers, bar girls, street food vendors etc pay tax, hmm. I know fleece the foreigners instead.

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats pretty much the crux of it...  the Warm Welcome you talk of is somewhat of a myth when it comes to certain issues being discussed, such as dual pricing, visa difficulties and excessive hoops to jump through etc....

The visa is simple if you qualify. I presume you would also be acceptable to make Visa's in the UK far easier to  get? Maybe lots more North Africans coming across with the easier visa. Or easier Visa is just for you living in another country?

• Like 2

Richard has retweeted an article in Thai on Kapook, which mainly just translated his posts but in the headline photo that's he retweeted it's saying he won't get his visa renewed because he's translated and posted articles about the current demonstrations. It's definitely trying to give Thais the impression his home was 'raided' and he was threatened. Not sure that's such a good tactic, especially if they didn't actually say that. Not much sympathy from a lot of the Thai comments below.

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, smutcakes said:
30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats pretty much the crux of it...  the Warm Welcome you talk of is somewhat of a myth when it comes to certain issues being discussed, such as dual pricing, visa difficulties and excessive hoops to jump through etc....

The visa is simple if you qualify. I presume you would also be acceptable to make Visa's in the UK far easier to  get? Maybe lots more North Africans coming across with the easier visa. Or easier Visa is just for you living in another country?

Hyperbolae... 

If someones Wife is accepted for a visit visa to the UK, she’s clearly already met the requrements, so why the need to do the same again the following year - why not just issue a 5 year visa. 

My Wife now has a 10 year visa but only after having built up from 6mo, 1yr, 2yr, 5yr, 10yr - it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense and prevents the Visa officers from having time to concentrate on more borderline cases. 

The same with the 90 days reports in Thailand, what’s the point? it just creates more unnecessary work. 

It's not about making things easer - just smarter, a lot of old regulations are simply legacy of a bygone non digital era and are now obsolete. 

I support those who have a voice and are attempting to seek improvements in such systems both at home and here in Thailand. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1