Richard Barrow may not have his visa renewed and could be forced to leave Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

The Army has never been a big supporter of freedom of expression.

Probably not where Richard is concerned as there would be gay pride marches and transgender story time for primary school students the next day .

13 hours ago, Susco said:

You may be on to something there, because I remember the same story 1 year ago

It was the same story one year ago, but at the time he'd just gone head to head with the (still incumbent) immigration chief over TM30 reform. He's worked at the same school for 26 years and made many extensions previously without incident. 

12 hours ago, ericthai said:

So the ending of TM30 was all because of Richard? I have a hard time believing that.  The TM30 was an old law that was being enforced in full force again, but this is a typical Thai thing.  Crack down on some old rule then realize too much work and stop.

He was one of the most high profile campaigners on the TM30 issue, and sat on the panel at the FCCT meeting (exactly one year ago today) alongside the guy from Isaan lawyers who organised the petition. The senior official present at that meeting was visibly irked at being challenged like this, but there was no way immigration could keep the thing going at that point, it was drawing negative coverage all over the national and international press. At it's peak they were hauling in millions every day in fines, and the administrative burdens were not on immigration, but on people trying to get visa extensions and their landlords.

12 hours ago, ericthai said:

Same when they started the 6 month rule (around 2003-4ish) that you couldn't stay in Thailand more than 6 months of the year if on tourist visas or visa exempt. Caused allot of work, IOs trying to count days in passports etc. so they scrapped that. Maybe Richard helped with that too?

This was 2008, and only happened at certain land borders. It was rescinded that year because it was indeed unworkable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, checkered flag said:

You make it sound like there is a cohesive "expat" community in Thailand.

No such thing - Well apart from the various Chambers of Commerce etc 

If there is, I want no part of it and will chose my own group of friends both Thais and foreign.

Who cares, this is nothing to do with the topic at all. Anyone is capable of making their own friends.  

Frankly many foreigners here are weird and contribute very little.

Agreed. Its there for a good thing that other contribute more then, i.e. supporting issues raised by foreigners here.

RB can lead his own life, write things of interest (sponsored by TAT) and stop advising others on immigration issues.

You are dictating what others should do?... what about ThaiVisa do you allow this website to advise others on Immigration Issues, or is it only Richard Barrow who you want to Ban from helping and advising others by distributing information and raising awareness of issues????

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bubba said:

I agree. I too am unclear what his permitted employment is. Is he a web designer? Is he a teacher? Is he a compensated travel writer? A journalist?

1) Yes - he developed and runs the school IT department.

2) As above, presumably an administrative position. 

3) No

4) No

Regarding 3, he's actually been quite critical of some of the freebies. There was a recent one paid for by TAT where he was sent on a luxury camper van trip, but he wound up sleeping in a hotel, and concluded that this kind of business doesn't really work in Thailand. I can't imagine the people who laid on the trip were very pleased. 

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Its "failed in London try Hong Kong"

No, Barrow isn't. I have seen him post absolute BS many times. Now he wants us to feel sorry for him because he has been stupid enough to vociferously and publicly challenge a Junta government on foreigner's rights in Thailand, when they clearly have very few rights.  How idiotic can you get.  Most of us are none of the things that you list above. Most of us came here because we love the country and want a quiet life. It seems to me, by your post, that the jealousy and bitterness are all on your side, not those of us who have criticized Barrow now and in the past.  I do give credit where credit is due; it's just not due to him.

Do you think he’s due the vitriolic hate thrown at him in this thread?

I cam here for work, made many friends here (Western and Thai), married here and continued to live here. I too enjoy living in Thailand, but that doesn’t mean it is without fault, many of which are discussed on this forum and Thai forums such as Panthip. When / if these faults can be improved upon it is a good thing. In 20+ years I have seen improvements in some areas, things have got worse in other areas. 

Has RB impacted ’some change’ even if its minor change?, possibly. I also like the awareness being raised about dual pricing. I have no interest in his travel blogging or tweets (I don’t have twitter).

I am struggling to understand the hate getting pushed towards RB.... it seems some people just need to hate and get angry. 

Maybe he [RB] is somewhat naieve for trying to challenge ‘officialdom’ for some of their policies. Rather him than me. And of course, he and we, have no legal rights here, but that does not mean we have no voice as has been proven. 

Sometimes a voice is all it takes. I hope he takes up the 90 day reporting next - lots of people on this forum have issue with this unnecessary requirement. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you think he’s due the vitriolic hate thrown at him in this thread?

I cam here for work, made many friends here (Western and Thai), married here and continued to live here. I too enjoy living in Thailand, but that doesn’t mean it is without fault, many of which are discussed on this forum and Thai forums such as Panthip. When / if these faults can be improved upon it is a good thing. In 20+ years I have seen improvements in some areas, things have got worse in other areas. 

Has RB impacted ’some change’ even if its minor change?, possibly. I also like the awareness being raised about dual pricing. I have no interest in his travel blogging or tweets (I don’t have twitter).

I am struggling to understand the hate getting pushed towards RB.... it seems some people just need to hate and get angry. 

Maybe he [RB] is somewhat naieve for trying to challenge ‘officialdom’ for some of their policies. Rather him than me. And of course, he and we, have no legal rights here, but that does not mean we have no voice as has been proven. 

Sometimes a voice is all it takes. I hope he takes up the 90 day reporting next - lots of people on this forum have issue with this unnecessary requirement. 

Afternoon Richard, hope you are feeling okay today, full of the joys of Thailand. Saturday, a weekend day of rest and all that.  Enjoy. No hate in my heart mate, only unbounded love for my fellow humans, well some of them; there are exceptions, Bob Geldorf, George Galloway, that Corbyn creature. Putin and U2, to name a few.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That is BS.  There is no separate pricing for Thais in the UK, or indeed for any tourists.  Rather the opposite, as they can get big discounts from their tour operator for attractions and that happens in Thailand too.  

My point was if you saw dual pricing in London or New York they would be crying racism / xenophobia. Yet Thai's are okay with it in their own country. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, scoupeo said:

Every year it's the same story, who still believes him ?

A little boy who misses his mama and keep whining years after years...

His travel posts are ridiculous, even if you pay me I wouldn't go to all the ridiculous places that he visits...

68863153_richardbarrowdickhead.jpeg.00443187a4b474d506233e0794cd3c4a.jpeg

This is the only truth !

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

No, Barrow isn't. I have seen him post absolute BS many times. Now he wants us to feel sorry for him because he has been stupid enough to vociferously and publicly challenge a Junta government on foreigner's rights in Thailand, when they clearly have very few rights.  How idiotic can you get.  Most of us are none of the things that you list above. Most of us came here because we love the country and want a quiet life. It seems to me, by your post, that the jealousy and bitterness are all on your side, not those of us who have criticized Barrow now and in the past.  I do give credit where credit is due; it's just not due to him.

Not often that you write something smart, but this time it's true !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Did my post strike a nerve? 

While we are on the subject of expats doing idiotic things, didn't you admit on another thread that you illegally own land in a company name to circumvent Thai land ownership laws?

Those in glass houses, etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Did my post strike a nerve? 

While we are on the subject of expats doing idiotic things, didn't you admit on another thread that you illegally own land in a company name to circumvent Thai land ownership laws?

Those in glass houses, etc.

No, I own land legally through a legally constituted Thai company, in which I am the largest, but not the majority shareholder.  Do please get your facts right if you going to go off topic. And how is owning land and property legally idiotic? Please explain, but not on this topic posting . 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

And if something is of no concerne for you, so it should be of nobody's concerne, right?!

Jeeeeeez!

RB agenda is not mine and needs to stick with travel thing. He wasn't a chosen leader for foreigners here. Unfortunately he started telling people not to do things that make him unpopular with the Thai government. Maybe he feels entitled being a Brit or because he's befriended some official but I don't think that buts him ahead of law.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

RB agenda is not mine and needs to stick with travel thing. He wasn't a chosen leader for foreigners here. Unfortunately he started telling people not to do things that make him unpopular with the Thai government. Maybe he feels entitled being a Brit or because he's befriended some official but I don't think that buts him ahead of law.  

Thanks for the insight!

You are aware, that that was not my point at all, aren't you?

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The Vietnam War hastened the modernisation and Westernisation of Thai society. The American presence and the exposure to Western culture that came with it had an effect on almost every aspect of Thai life. Before the late 1960s, full access to Western culture was limited to a highly educated elite in society, but the Vietnam War brought the outside world face to face with large segments of the Thai society as never before. With US dollars pumping up the economy, the service, transportation, and construction industries grew phenomenally.

The traditional rural family unit was broken down as more and more rural Thais moved to the city to find new jobs. This led to a clash of cultures as Thais were exposed to Western ideas about fashion, music, values, and moral standards.

so?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1