Richard Barrow may not have his visa renewed and could be forced to leave Thailand

webfact

My Non B visa expired during the amnesty period just after I received my work permit in May. Since then, I've been to immigration at Changwattana three times trying to get it extended. Each time they tell me they can't extend the visa and I must go out of Thailand to make a new visa. After seeing this post, and given the fact that the Thai government requires all foreigners entering the country to quarantine in one of those very expensive downtown hotels in Bangkok or Phuket (minimum cost THB30k/15 days), I can't help but wonder if this part of the scam. Refuse to extend the visa, so those who can/must come back into Thailand will have to pay the extravagant prices for quarantine when they re-enter. This way, those hotels make some money out of this crises, while at the same time, the Thai government officials get some money for themselves in kick back payments.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If he actually said that on a public platform and can be identified, he must, IMO be a bit thick to do so. Lives in LOS, but apparently knows little about how things work there. Perhaps he needed to get out of his digital bubble and smell the traffic fumes.

From your post you nake it look lije he never gets out of his armchair, which isn't the case.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ravip said:

Tweeting or Blogging per se, will not be considered a "business" anywhere, for sure.

If there are adverts turned on, or posts are done for promotional purposes then of course it is. 

You do know that influencers and marketers in many platforms make millions (not baht) !! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I can imagine just as there are a number of westerners who don’t like anyone who has a voice and speaks up, there are Thai’s who see Richard Barrows comments not as a criticism of the system, but as a criticism of Thailand and all Thai’s.

I suspect this may be the angle from which some posters are approaching this discussion (that someone such as Richard Barrow could be damaging to all of us) - its a position based on fear, not of seeking improvement. 

I'm wondering more whether the immigration officers really told him what's in the headline there or not. It's not what he's posted in English. If they didn't actually say he won't get a renewal because of his translations about the demonstrations, then surely it's not going to help his cause. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

That is true - but not sure 2PT is the primary issue.  For that matter, it is a stupid issue (IMO).  Why do I care if Thai-citizenship gets them a break on some admission-fee.  Good for them, getting something back from their govt.

Meanwhile immigration is shattering families with agent-extortion, due to many of us unable to get visas from the less-corrupt MFA.  2PT somehow doesn't get on my radar.

Barrow's other "transgressions" include:

• Shamed immigration forcing 'landlord must come in' and 'under-consideration' dual visits (each applicant had to queue 2x or more) for the early "with embassy letter" covid-extensions, causing massive lines, while the govt was pushing a "social distancing" narrative.  Barrow's pics of lines forced the govt's hand, overruling immigration's fake "national-security" excuse, and leading to the cabinet's 'auto-extension' system, which denied IOs massive agent-bribe-money.
  • Told his followers to NOT pay the 20K+ agent-money bribes needed to get Non-B 90-Day stamps in-country.  This is long-standing practice pre-covid - either "pay us off" (usually through an Agent or Law Firm) or "you go out for a new Visa" - using the PITA of a trip to extort their agent-bribes.  But no one can "go out" for a Visa, now, and agent-bribes must be short due to fewer farangs to fleece, so ...
  • Leaked news of a probable covid-extension deadline in-advance, before the Sept date was announced, leading some to NOT pay off immigration via-agents for their extensions after an Immigration spokesman said "time to clear out," to scare-up a wave of agent-money bribes, before the announcement.
  • Talked about himself and others as "Foreigners who made Thailand their home..." which is something Immigration deeply resents.  Even if married to a Thai citizen, you are "allowed" to stay with your family only 1 year at a time - forever dealing with that corrupt-crew.  The only way out is the long and difficult process to PR or Citizenship.  Short of that, we have NO rights / right to be here - can be booted, as may happen to him.

I am so sorry to agree with you ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Could the ‘Immigration Corruption’ and inconsistent regulations and constant risk of a family being broken up be the next on the agenda for Ricard Barrow?????

Only if he is deported, and can then speak freely.  As-Is, he did say not to pay the 20K+ Baht for Non-B -90s, as though it were some scam (not standard-practice) and that, alone, may have been his undoing.

2 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

exposing thailand and the corrupt ways of immigration

He never came out and said that about immigration, that I recall.  If they don't renew his stay, I hope he does - on BBC in Prime-Time - encourages a full-boycott until it stops.   I'm sure they could find hundreds of Brits, alone, separated from their families by Immigration - or under constant fear of it - to interview. 

Of course, those still here, or hoping to return, would have to do be shown in "shadow" + voice-modifier to avoid persecution - like those speaking out about drug-kingpins in Mexico and similar. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

Only if he is deported, and can then speak freely.  As-Is, he did say not to pay the 20K+ Baht for Non-B -90s, as though it were some scam (not standard-practice) and that, alone, may have been his undoing.

He never came out and said that about immigration, that I recall.  If they don't renew his stay, I hope he does - on BBC in Prime-Time - encourages a full-boycott until it stops.   I'm sure they could find hundreds of Brits, alone, separated from their families by Immigration - or under constant fear of it - to interview. 

Of course, those still here, or hoping to return, would have to do be shown in "shadow" + voice-modifier to avoid persecution - like those speaking out about drug-kingpins in Mexico and similar. 

They could offer citizenship to long staying expats instead of making people renew visas. It's one of the things that puts me off staying long term that you have no real rights or say.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

They could offer citizenship to long staying expats instead of making people renew visas. It's one of the things that puts me off staying long term that you have no real rights or say.

I thought the reason was that you could get a visa. How do they do it in Greece or wherever you are going? 

Edited by checkered flag

Just now, ThaidDown said:

Pretty sure that it was considered for those married to a Thai for at least 20 years.

It was going ahead until someone pointed out that a foreigner married to a Thai for that long would definitely fail the sanity test.

Lol, 4 years was enough.

https://visaguide.world/tips/becoming-a-citizen-of-thailand/

3 minutes ago, NilSS said:

I've been posting on this forum for a long time, right since it's inception (no, I wasn't banned). It's lurched from being wingnut anti-Thai whorist forum to being an ultra-leftie Thai apologist forum, and everything in between. One thing that always stayed the same is  the "If you don't like it leave" crowd, they're not worth the wear on your keyboard, as you allude.

Personally, I think Barrow is naively idealistic, but the world needs them. It's not right that my Japanese sister in law doesn't need to keep money on deposit for her visa renewals, but I do. This kind of medieval systemic failing needs calling out. Its 2020. Personally I have too much to lose in Thailand by stirring up a bucket of s#!t, so here's to you, Richard.

BTW, I suspect the problems he's having are related to the picture he posted of an IO trying to bribe him a few years ago. His problems are likely all as a continued result of that.

"posting since TVF's inception", but only 270 posts? So in all that time, you haven't bothered to contribute much to the debates you deride. Not sure that you have yet earned the right to be heard. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, NilSS said:

I've been posting on this forum for a long time, right since it's inception (no, I wasn't banned). It's lurched from being wingnut anti-Thai whorist forum to being an ultra-leftie Thai apologist forum, and everything in between. One thing that always stayed the same is  the "If you don't like it leave" crowd, they're not worth the wear on your keyboard, as you allude.

Personally, I think Barrow is naively idealistic, but the world needs them. It's not right that my Japanese sister in law doesn't need to keep money on deposit for her visa renewals, but I do. This kind of medieval systemic failing needs calling out. Its 2020. Personally I have too much to lose in Thailand by stirring up a bucket of s#!t, so here's to you, Richard.

BTW, I suspect the problems he's having are related to the picture he posted of an IO trying to bribe him a few years ago. His problems are likely all as a continued result of that.

Both extremes are disgusting to me. If these group disagree they do everything to cancel you. I don't believe they are the majority but they feel they control by running their mouths. 

I feel your right about Richard and he overextended himself and got caught, or he's seeking more attention for himself. 

• Like 2

Hope that it works out for him.

His blog is certainly useful for farangs and he appears to contribute to society. I would have thought that he would be a decent resident to have around? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1