Richard Barrow may not have his visa renewed and could be forced to leave Thailand

webfact

Just now, SteveK said:

In my home city in the UK, if I show my council tax bill with local address I can get into many attractions for free, whereas people who don't reside in the city have to pay. What's the difference between this and Thailand's dual pricing?

Because dual pricing is Thai vs Foreigner, you could be Polish with a council tax bill and still get in free. The Tower of London makes no difference if you are British or Chinese or Thai, same price.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Danny Australia said:

Quite despicable that some people here attacking Richard or insinuating he should have bent his principles by shutting up and not criticizing negative things such as dirty beaches or dual prices. Richard in my eyes, is a brave man and should be commended for all things he did for the benefit of all expats. He could have been selfish by applauding the army and keeping quiet about corruption and all negative stuff in order to get his visa extended. Wish you well mate wherever you end up. Stay strong and don’t compromise you principles for a visa…any visa  

Wow Danny from my home country of Australia, for me "brave" is used to describe my Grandfather and others like him who sacrficed more then a visa extension on the Kakoda track.  Would have thought you would know the difference.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, tribalfusion001 said:
3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

In my home city in the UK, if I show my council tax bill with local address I can get into many attractions for free, whereas people who don't reside in the city have to pay. What's the difference between this and Thailand's dual pricing?

Because dual pricing is Thai vs Foreigner, you could be Polish with a council tax bill and still get in free. The Tower of London makes no difference if you are British or Chinese or Thai, same price.

That has been a long standing argument of those trying to defend dual pricing, the other being ‘we foreigners are wealthier’ which is not really true.....  Unfortunately the dumb just can’t see this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heppinger said:

I could give 2 sh^ts what foreigners pay why? because this has effected me maybe 10 times in my 12 years in Thailand, 4 years permanent. So what are we talking? maybe 2000 lets say 10000 baht, cry me a river. Only an obnoxious Delete%r would want to reduce the revenue of tourist operators over that.  The other reason is my 2 sons are Thai and they are really all i care about.

You are a man of principles, I see!

...as long as the principle is "doesn't happen to me, so why worry"!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heppinger said:

Wow Danny from my home country of Australia, for me "brave" is used to describe my Grandfather and others like him who sacrficed more then a visa extension on the Kakoda track.  Would have thought you would know the difference.

Says it all, your an Aussie, a country that it's citizens are not allowed to leave, it's almost like back to the 18th century and a prison again 555.

I could give 2 sh^ts what foreigners pay why? because this has effected me maybe 10 times in my 12 years in Thailand, 4 years permanent. So what are we talking? maybe 2000 lets say 10000 baht, cry me a river. Only an obnoxious Delete%r would want to reduce the revenue of tourist operators over that.  The other reason is my 2 sons are Thai and they are really all i care about.

*affected.

I see this mistake being made here too often.

Furthermore, your use of language makes you sound a quality individual. 

But getting back to your 'argument', how does a tour operator's revenue suffer when a national park's entry price is lowered?

Seems to me that it is better for them as they will have more visitors willing to visit. So they can still make the same money organising the tour and transport. No different from a tour operator that services the local market.

You have made it patently clear that you only care about yourself and yours. So your comments in this context are invalid. 

There are many who do care about this blatantly unfair practice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heppinger said:
7 minutes ago, Danny Australia said:

Quite despicable that some people here attacking Richard or insinuating he should have bent his principles by shutting up and not criticizing negative things such as dirty beaches or dual prices. Richard in my eyes, is a brave man and should be commended for all things he did for the benefit of all expats. He could have been selfish by applauding the army and keeping quiet about corruption and all negative stuff in order to get his visa extended. Wish you well mate wherever you end up. Stay strong and don’t compromise you principles for a visa…any visa  

There is a difference, on the spectrum of bravery.... 

You obviously only see bravery as one singular action, i.e. risking ones life - Which I must add, I compliment and consider this the ultimate bravery and dop my hat to those before me who have risked their lives. 

However, others are also risking their freedoms, their homes, their way of life to raise awareness to issues which ‘could’ benefit us all. There is also an element of bravery involved. 

I for one am not brave enough to risk my family for various causes I object to. But I am glad there are others who do and I support them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Danny Australia said:

And let's not overlook that he truly loves Thailand.

As most of us do while we resent what the people in charge do to their own country and folks.

8 minutes ago, Heppinger said:
13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yawn... go home if you don’t like it???

You think Dual Pricing is a tradition???....    another comical response. 

I do like Dual pricing, so it is you that doesn't like it nice try at deflection though.  Keep playing victim as it highlights your weakness

Victim? really......  You like dual pricing :cheesy:... You like being ‘over charged’ by 4x by 10x....  and you are calling others the victim????.... 

You really are not the sharpest tool in the box....  Please start to bring intelligent argument to the thread, something which entertains a reasonable discussion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Says it all, your an Aussie, a country that it's citizens are not allowed to leave, it's almost like back to the 18th century and a prison again 555.

And that is why I'm not in country, and where are you from champ? Sweden?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

That is true - but not sure 2PT is the primary issue.  For that matter, it is a stupid issue (IMO).  Why do I care if Thai-citizenship gets them a break on some admission-fee.  Good for them, getting something back from their govt.

Meanwhile immigration is shattering families with agent-extortion, due to many of us unable to get visas from the less-corrupt MFA.  2PT somehow doesn't get on my radar.

Barrow's other "transgressions" include:

• Shamed immigration forcing 'landlord must come in' and 'under-consideration' dual visits (each applicant had to queue 2x or more) for the early "with embassy letter" covid-extensions, causing massive lines, while the govt was pushing a "social distancing" narrative.  Barrow's pics of lines forced the govt's hand, overruling immigration's fake "national-security" excuse, and leading to the cabinet's 'auto-extension' system, which denied IOs massive agent-bribe-money.
  • Told his followers to NOT pay the 20K+ agent-money bribes needed to get Non-B 90-Day stamps in-country.  This is long-standing practice pre-covid - either "pay us off" (usually through an Agent or Law Firm) or "you go out for a new Visa" - using the PITA of a trip to extort their agent-bribes.  But no one can "go out" for a Visa, now, and agent-bribes must be short due to fewer farangs to fleece, so ...
  • Leaked news of a probable covid-extension deadline in-advance, before the Sept date was announced, leading some to NOT pay off immigration via-agents for their extensions after an Immigration spokesman said "time to clear out," to scare-up a wave of agent-money bribes, before the announcement.
  • Talked about himself and others as "Foreigners who made Thailand their home..." which is something Immigration deeply resents.  Even if married to a Thai citizen, you are "allowed" to stay with your family only 1 year at a time - forever dealing with that corrupt-crew.  The only way out is the long and difficult process to PR or Citizenship.  Short of that, we have NO rights / right to be here - can be booted, as may happen to him.

Your absolutely correct that dual pricing and whether to pay or not is a personal issue. No one forces you to visit a NP etc. If it's OK go, if not don't. However, he started giving advise about immigration and what to do this or don't do this regarding paying agents.  He also leaked insider information on extension of amnesty, plus other thing. If he had stuck to his IT gig and travel blog he'd most likely be OK. Its called minding one's own business.

His reliance for yearly border bounces is troubling and not possible in the near future. Looks like an easy way for TI ton wrap up this problem.

• Like 1

I love it. Never bite the hand that feeds you. It's rude, downright and shamelessly ungracious and brazenly ungrateful. The Kingdom warmly welcomes all from the freezing upper latitudes to visit, live here and enjoy the life-giving tropical warmth almost absent in their own countries. Be gracious and reciprocate with a grateful heart... and mouth.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

And let's not overlook that he truly loves Thailand.

As most of us do while we resent what the people in charge do to their own country and folks.

well he will soon be loving it at a distance. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Victim? really......  You like dual pricing :cheesy:... You like being ‘over charged’ by 4x by 10x....  and you are calling others the victim????.... 

You really are not the sharpest tool in the box....  Please start to bring intelligent argument to the thread, something which entertains a reasonable discussion. 

It's like saying I prefer to be charged £12 for a pint instead of £4 that my friends pay, very odd to like being charged more.

• Like 1

Guilty, i also care about the country they were born in and belong too.  That's why i'm passionate in protecting it's traditions from demoralized obnoxious westerners.  It's simple buddy, go home.

Aha!

Joined a temple- fair, lately?

With some nice luk tung- music?

Hypocrit!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That has to be the most unintelligent of counter arguments I have ever read on ThaiVisa.com....  ‘I do like Dual Pricing’ !!!! Absolute golden droplet of dumbassery right there....  unbelievable !!!! 

I like being over charged !!!!.... :cheesy:  brilliant !

Actually unintelligence is not being able to identify an argument from a statement 

• Haha 1

He will get it renewed, same as last time. He has friends NOT like us.

His double price Facebook thing started after a meeting with a TAT honcho, so you can bet he will OK. They are just ruffling his feathers a bit like last year.

• Like 1

Richard.... You are merely Another foreigner coming unstuck in Thailand... Because your a bad guest in the eyes of the authorities.

The rules are not difficult to observe.

It's not your country...Leave if you don't like it.

But I think that decision has been made for you. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the one's who founded the penal colony lol.

Not surprised, you can't even stop your young girls from being gang raped by immigrants. Your the very definition of weak. 

19 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Because there is ONE price for everybody, no matter nationality or race and then there is a discount for locals!

See the difference?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mvdf said:

I love it. Never bite the hand that feeds you. It's rude, downright and shamelessly ungracious and brazenly ungrateful.

I agree with being polite and graceful guests. That said, Thailand is also home to many of us. We have the same objections to many issues that Thai’s have. There are also issues which negatively impact us (foreigners), these issues could be improved with the right voice.

This voice doesn’t have to be brazen, ungracious or ungrateful - a petition is none of these things, neither is a well written blog drawing attention to such issues. 

Thus: Your hyperbolic exageration while valid of some of the more vitriolic of posts on this forum is not valid of those who public raise awareness of some of the issues which make life in Thailand for us foreigners slightly more difficult than it needs to be. 

The Kingdom warmly welcomes all from the freezing upper latitudes to visit, live here and enjoy the life-giving tropical warmth almost absent in their own countries.

Thats pretty much the crux of it...  the Warm Welcome you talk of is somewhat of a myth when it comes to certain issues being discussed, such as dual pricing, visa difficulties and excessive hoops to jump through etc.... 

Be gracious and reciprocate with a grateful heart... and mouth.

Of course, always, when being treated equally and fairly - otherwise there is nothing wrong with polite objection or someone who choses to publicly and politely object. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1