Richard Barrow may not have his visa renewed and could be forced to leave Thailand

webfact

Intelligence agencies have always infiltrated media outlets in their target country for the purpose of subverting the population, Thailand's laws state that only a Thai citizen can own a media outlet in Thailand and for good reason.  Though obviously this law doesn't cover bloggers, so it is understandable that bloggers would come under more scrutiny within Thailand.  Most people think that intelligence agencies main activities are espionage, which does sell more hollywood movies and deodorant's, but actually most of their efforts are concentrated in ideological subversion of the target country. usually carried out through media and entertainment.  Not saying this is Richards role but seems to me he has had plenty of warning that his blog is not welcome, so bye bye Richard.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

He does the blogging for a hobby but I am quite sure if he did decide to monetise it he would make a lot more that you do!

Looking at his youtube channel and the amount of views on his uploads its going to be a very very long time before he makes 1 single cent.

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

He raised the issue of dual-pricing, portraying it as a scam against international visitors at a time when tourism is already decimated and the country is trying to figure out how to get the industry going again.

Yeah, not a great time for this kind of cause celebre. In fact, not even a great cause, except emotionally, as the farang price for certain services in Thailand is comparable to what they'd pay in farangland. The cheaper price for the "people" is a nod to their situation vis-a-vis farangs; that farangs pay a tax of sorts to help out the locals kind of resonates with me. As I say: It's an emotional issue, but certainly not an economic one.

As for Mr Barrow: Isn't he the gay butler in Downton Abbey? What's he doing over here? ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd never ever go on face<deleted>, instagram, or any of that <deleted>, but if he has been "spreading the word on how Thailand looks at farangs" he is quite rightly going to get the boot out of LOS. Biting the hand that feeds one is never a good idea.

Can't believe how many farang aliens think they have "rights" in LOS.

Want to stay- smile, keep mouth shut on social media <deleted>.

Who's a good boy?

Who's a good boy!

You are!

You are a good boy!

The overlords will be so pleased with you...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Who's a good boy?

Who's a good boy!

You are!

You are a good boy!

The overlords will be so pleased with you...

That's hilarious, especially coming from someone using the name, Saint Nick.  Overlords indeed haha

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have no idea how people impact change and improvement? 

The charge against dual pricing (led by Richard Barrow) has already drawn such attention that the TAT announced it is aiming to scrap double pricing. 

Your criticism [GlassWayOverHalfFull] has no basis or understanding - like a kid who draws opinion without knowledge. 

Improvement for whom?  whining, winging farangs?  The Thais make more money, they don't  give a monkeys toss what you, me, all of us and especially this Barrow person, think about it.  He was an idiot to think he can make an ounce of difference. Best bit of advice I ever got, from a long time farang here, is to always be the 'grey man', never draw attention to yourself by word or deed.  Good advice that.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Well, he has been jumping on a lot of fake news of late & posting many articles which are clearly there to scaremonger. As a result has been forced to update his Second hand/ recycled news articles. 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your life ‘could’ get better in Thailand because people like Richard Barrow draw attention to the inequalities Westerners face in Thailand. 

If people do nothing, nothing improves. 

If you go to Safari world / a national park / Siam Sea Life etc with your family and pay Double or more than your Thai Wife, its because there were not enough people Like Richard Barrow publicising such wrongs 10 years ago. 

If in a few years you go to Safari world / a national park / Siam Sea Life etc with your family and pay the same price as your Thai Wife, its because people Like Richard Barrow publicised such wrongs.

However, in publicising such wrongs Richard Barrow risks rocking the boat, upsetting the status quo, causes a loss of face etc... as such, it's possible he has become unpopular with those in decision making power. 

Why should you care?... Wouldn’t you like to own your own house etc, receive better rights in Thailand? 

Not have to put up with the banal hoop jumping for Visas etc? 90 day reports?

Remember TM30 ??? well thats changed just this year.... Why ??????  its quite possible that a ‘group’ of Westerners lobbied and protested such that sufficient attention was paid by those in positions of decision making power. Change was affected. A minor win, but life has been made just that little bit easier for many expats living in Thailand who no longer have to file a TM30 every time they return home from a holiday etc.

This is why you should care - People like Richard Barrow draw attention to the issues we complain about. 

Actually if it means keeping out westerners who are soy sipping, half baked, marxist's forever playing the victim card, i hope Thailand stays exactly the way it is.

Edited by Heppinger
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

YAY good work Richard, now tourist attractions will have to lower foreigner prices to meet Thais price meaning revenue will drop and staff will need to be fired, or Thai prices will have to be raised to foreigner prices ensuring your average Thai citizens who make up 95% of visitors wont be able to afford to visit these attractions meaning revenue will drop and staff will need to be fired.  Such a courageous trail blazer you are Richard deserving of praise from your half baked supporters

A very specific quote comes to mind: Mark Twain — 'Never argue with.... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why should you care?... Wouldn’t you like to own your own house etc, receive better rights in Thailand? 

Not have to put up with the banal hoop jumping for Visas etc? 90 day reports?

I couldn't care less if Thais get a break on going to Safari World - in fact, I am happy for them.   The TM-30 move was nice, but it wasn't that hard for me to input some data on a website after a trip.  Something about a speck in the eye comes to mind. 

I would like immigration's corruption to be cleaned up, so my family isn't at constant risk of being broken up and/or extorted every year.  Due to inability to access the less-corrupt MFA's Consulates, I may be forced out of the country in Sept.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is why you should care - People like Richard Barrow draw attention to the issues we complain about. 

Like him or loathe him, I happen to be in in the former category, he doesn't do himself any favors tweeting about his own personal immigration issues? He obviously hasn't handled this part very well - it happened last year as well. He needs to follow the rules like everyone else and not expect influential help as is implied by tweeting about it. Not a news item IMHO, and belongs in the Farang Pub section.

t

• Like 1