Expats in Thailand turning to the Elite Card to avoid visa hassles - Bloomberg

rooster59

8 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

seriously ?

it is because IMMIGRATION is making it impossible for a part of foreigners to live here a peaceful life with their family and thus pushing them into either scammer AGENTS in bed with corrupted immigration officers for a lot of money, or  this fake card elite scam that gives you not much for your money, as it is GONE after 5 years...

"I am quite Sure that most foreigners have no problem getting visas and living a peaceful life here. But I guess you're referring to "part of foreigners" as being those who do not qualify or have the financial requirements. A very tiny minority

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

If you were a billionaire several times over you likely wouldn't be in Thailand anyway so the point is moot.

At that time 14 years ago I would, I had enough of Farang women and wanted to meet oriental women, but today I wouldn't.

If you have the funds and means to buy it then go ahead. Just don't rant on and on about your honorable reasons for wanting to stay here. Even when I was below the age for my retirement visa and extensions, I still played by the rules to stay here. Having money does not mean you just throw it wherever you want like the 2 week millionaires who come and go. Enjoy life. I sure as hell am and I won't be leaving any money on the table for the vultures....lol

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Advertorial probably sponsored by the Thai government who are desperate and running out of money. 

There would not be more than a tiny number of expats that would waste money that way. 

I reckon more of a advert /  PR gimmick. There are certainly no mobs of expats busting down doors, running in a pack up to Immigration for this visa. Not much use for one right now. If you leave the country, your passport matters as much as your Visa. Might wait a year, until Thailand opens back up again, say in July of 2021  :whistling: to run an ad campaign. 

BTW I won't buy on principal one due to the association with the evil T Man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know how much commission Thai Elite pays to agencies reselling the card? Last year I met a guy that said he had sold a few of these elite cards from his shop, and that he could offer a much better price for the card than buying direct from Thai Elite. Wish I went into more detail with him.

16 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Advertorial probably sponsored by the Thai government who are desperate and running out of money. 

There would not be more than a tiny number of expats that would waste money that way. 

Indeed, my first thought. Pretty sure there a similar recent advertorial posted as ‘news’ on a foreign website and in the small print the massive COVID fleeing momentum in Elite Card growth was a whopping 6 people.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Does anyone know how much commission Thai Elite pays to agencies reselling the card? Last year I met a guy that said he had sold a few of these elite cards from his shop, and that he could offer a much better price for the card than buying direct from Thai Elite. Wish I went into more detail with him.

Not sure about that, back when I did apply in March of this year, I was approved in 2 weeks. The letter I received gave me Thai elites information for depositing in their account directly. I even dropped into the Thai Priveledge office on Silom Rd to confirm this and was given the same bank info. I decided not to pull the plug and do it as I would rather spend the money elsewhere.

11 hours ago, gamini said:

"I am quite Sure that most foreigners have no problem getting visas and living a peaceful life here. But I guess you're referring to "part of foreigners" as being those who do not qualify or have the financial requirements. A very tiny minority

funny, as I have 400k for the last 10 years parked for immigration only

never a problem when married

problems stared when ex-wife tried to F. me over by leaving 1 month before my extension (well planned, right)

you know what immigration say in that case:   no VISA

even with a child I am taking care for ... that was present when demanding help from said immigration

when you are married, you cannot change your type of visa

when you are divorcing, no need to ask anything from immigration

when you are divorced and trying to get a new visa as being a parent of a thai child, they come up with landlord documents & landlord having to show up ....  court divorce gave me the right to stay in the house with my child till age of 20 (gave up the house for the false promise my ex would help), but ex does not provide demanded documents, so immigration says: GO F. yourself and get a tourist visa or one better: GO BACK TO YOUR HOME COUNTRY, not caring my child will be left alone, as mother don't give a f. and my ex does not allow my child to go to home country with me !

so if I sound bitter towards immigration, crooked agents that can fix "my problem" for 55.000 baht while immigration does have ZERO mercy or empathy or make an exception ... you know why

I was thinking about Elite, but than I red their 8-10 pages of rules.

If I threw away 500k for elite, the next step my ex would take is, defame me in court till I was bankrupt, aka small letters in Elite say, if you get suddenly bankrupt, bye bye ELITE visa or a criminal conviction, and they women are know that for money, they get witness for things that never happened

my ex-wife is/was very violent, went to police for VIOLENCE she started, I only defended myself, but go tell police/court  that your wife is the violent monster...

clearly that immigration is either pushing some people to crooked agents with corrupted immigration officer involved or elite worthless piece of paper

when I decided not to go further with elite (500k deposit) I was even told, I can only, 1 more time in the rest of my life, try to apply for it...  yes I was approved, background check and all the stuff, but they can go stuff themselves

only a few years away from 50, my money goes to child education

Edited by Bender Rodriguez

When comparing the Elite visa with a marriage or retirement extension you are assuming that there will be no changes to the marriage or retirement requirements in the future. I know a guy on the original Elite and he still gets all the perks after all those years. Ok he doesn't get ferried round Thailand in the BWM now, he has to make do in a Camry. The point i am making i would feel more comfortable that Elite will honer their commitments to their visa holders more than immigration would not change their extension requirements.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Big Joke said:

When comparing the Elite visa with a marriage or retirement extension you are assuming that there will be no changes to the marriage or retirement requirements in the future. I know a guy on the original Elite and he still gets all the perks after all those years. Ok he doesn't get ferried round Thailand in the BWM now, he has to make do in a Camry. The point i am making i would feel more comfortable that Elite will honer their commitments to their visa holders more than immigration would not change their extension requirements.  

The limo service is from the TE company itself, even if the PE visa you get as a member ceased to exist, the extras would still be valid. Of course the ability to get the PE visa is the main selling point, the others like the golf cart at swampy are just nice extras.

If you know that you're always going to be eligible for the 1-year extensions, and don't mind the headaches at immigration then yes the Elite visa would seem to be absolutely pointless and expensive. But there are people for whom it would solve a lot of headaches and provide some benefits. But even most people in this category who can afford it would surely resent the sky-high cost. And there's no guarantee that your visa wouldn't be voided if something bad happened to you.

It doesn’t exempt you from the 90 day reporting !  for 500,000 baht you can get a 10 year visa in Malaysia which allows you to import a tax free car free of import duties . Import a car into Thailand there is up to 200% charge in import duties.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

If you have the funds and means to buy it then go ahead. Just don't rant on and on about your honorable reasons for wanting to stay here. Even when I was below the age for my retirement visa and extensions, I still played by the rules to stay here. Having money does not mean you just throw it wherever you want like the 2 week millionaires who come and go. Enjoy life. I sure as hell am and I won't be leaving any money on the table for the vultures....lol

Good post and straight to the point.

7 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

Simple. It's because the majority here is retired and can't even fathom that others chose to move here well before retirement. They probably had the same 9 to 5 job and life for 40 years or longer and they can't stand finding out now that other people are making different life choices. I think it's envy. They're also quick to tell tourists on this website to hop on a plane and go back to their home countries even when the Thai authorities are much more lenient and are clearly allowing these people to be here. They want to feel special without paying top dollar for it, even though we're all guests here and NON-immigrants at best.

Although I agree with your content, it is a bit rude to throw us all in the same boat. The foreigners that post on here ' Go home if you don't like it '  as though they have some power to make that happen annoy the hell out of me as well.

However, I am 25 years here, I did have a business visa and work permit in younger years. I came to this country in younger years with plenty of cash and did a project which was successful. I was not a 9 to 5 man, and never have been by any stretch, I have been self employed all my life.

I am on retirement extensions. Nothing to do with being able to afford it, I can afford it. I CHOOSE to spend my money differently.

The very same reasons I usually, (but not always by any means), fly economy class. When I weigh up the price of a ticket and then think ' I can buy my son new doors and windows for his house, for the sake of 15 hours travelling  ' or similar types of purchases,things like that, are a no brainer to me.

I use cash to fund my Thai niece in university, then I still financially assist my partners family, I help my sons in England, they both have decent employment but things are expensive there, especially on the housing ladder. Sp, it's all really about personal choices.

If I was well under 50, without a Thai or UK family, and footloose and fancy free, I might very well have opted for an Elite visa.

If the Elite suits you, go for it and enjoy the privileges it affords and take no notice of others, you aren't asking them to pay for it.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 1:02 PM, 4MyEgo said:

1,900 baht Vs 470,000 for 5 years, I have money, can afford to get one no problem, but who wants to pay 25,000% extra, hmmm, maybe some with more zeros in their account but less brain cells up top, each to their own, of course ????

I'm 41, retired and living in Thailand. Elite visa is a no brainer for me. Comes out to less than 7k baht a month, way cheaper than marrying a girl that would talk me into buying a house on her name.

• Haha 2

On 8/15/2020 at 12:42 PM, Rancid said:

Mind you, for those with the spare cash, it probably does look more appealing than the dehumanizing long stay visa process.

went for my extension (marriage) in HH this week (no issue and never been an issue in 18 years). If you think going into an office for an hour and a half for a year's extension makes you feel less than human perhaps you should be remaining home in these trying times..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

went for my extension (marriage) in HH this week (no issue and never been an issue in 18 years). If you think going into an office for an hour and a half for a year's extension makes you feel less than human perhaps you should be remaining home in these trying times..

Mine took seven hours last year and was extremely frustrating.

• Like 1