Expats in Thailand turning to the Elite Card to avoid visa hassles - Bloomberg

rooster59

9 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Spring News in reporting the Bloomberg story said that five years of an Elite card costs 470,000 baht, 10 years 932,000 baht and 20 years 1.87 million.

I thought it was 5 years for 500,000 baht, 20 years for 1,000,000 or 2,000,000 Baht depending on the golf and spa addition, and the 10 years was for a relative/family version and was 1 mil baht for each member.  Maybe I am wrong and they are using currency exchange rates for the story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I thought it was 5 years for 500,000 baht, 20 years for 1,000,000 or 2,000,000 Baht depending on the golf and spa addition, and the 10 years was for a relative/family version and was 1 mil baht for each member.  Maybe I am wrong and they are using currency exchange rates for the story.

I also thought so....

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

1,900 baht Vs 470,000 for 5 years, I have money, can afford to get one no problem, but who wants to pay 25,000% extra, hmmm, maybe some with more zeros in their account but less brain cells up top, each to their own, of course ????

You modest little fellow you! ????????

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They're quoting the prices before VAT is added, the 5 year membership appears to be VAT exempt for some reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upena said:

TAT, who runs this scam, claims that you will get a 5, 10, or 20 year visa. Nonsense! Only one-year and then apply for another year extension.

The visa length refers to the visa in your passport and it's validity length which is 5 years from the date it's issued.

If you join for 20 years they give you 4 visas each of which lasts for 5 years one after the other.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

My retirement visa costs me 9,500 for 5 years [1,900 x 5], why would I want to pay 470,000 for the same time-scale?

Not everyone qualifies for a retirement visa, some of us are far too young to get one of those.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rancid said:

Mind you, for those with the spare cash, it probably does look more appealing than the dehumanizing long stay visa process.

Even if I was a billionaire several times over I would not get an Elite Visa, just get an agent, then you will have no running about for anything, a damn sight lot cheaper than an Elite, and forget the "scared of your own shadow" brigade, you will not be doing anything illegal.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe some of us just don't like being treated like a criminal.

You still have to do the 90 day report, and every year if you decide not to leave and then return for another year you need to pay the same 1900 baht that others do for their extensions.  Yes someone holds your hand and with 2 million baht and a 20 year you get to golf yearly, go to the spa, get picked up in a car at the airport and whisked through the VIP lane, as well as paying an annual fee of 20,000 baht as well, Oh and I forgot with the big ticket Elite 20 year you also get a free annual physical at the hospital.  However, I can use the extra money to buy the worthless insurance here (as some people call it, but works for me just fine as my US policy picks up the deductible I have, and the US insurance is a lifetime free benefit with my pension), and then of course I can buy a new vehicle and pay the insurance and registration on it.  However, I do understand why some people would consider it and have more money then they have the time to run around and do things on there own.  I could afford it, but why, as I have stated above the money can go elsewhere and be used without issues.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Even if I was a billionaire several times over I would not get an Elite Visa, just get an agent, then you will have no running about for anything, a damn sight lot cheaper than an Elite, and forget the "scared of your own shadow" brigade, you will not be doing anything illegal.

Try doing that when you're 40 years old and see how it turns out

I knew someone who had business visas and a company setup, his annual costs were something like 250,000 Baht but he did work here for a while, perhaps 5 years or so. When he stopped work he continued doing it this way for years because it worked for him.

250k a year was pocket change to him so he didn't care one way or the other.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2