SURVEY: Songkran--Big Event or Big Waste of Time?

Scott

SURVEY: Songkran--Big Event or Big Waste of Time?  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Thai government is granting September 4 and 7 as a substitution for the previously canceled Songkran.   In your opinion, is this a good opportunity for families to get together or a dangerous waste of time?  

Please select the option which best describes your opinion and feel free to leave a comment.

• Sad 1

Big Event or Big Waste of Time?

It’s fun but a waste if time, gas and water. Sadly youth and children haven’t too much alternatives for fun and government very little imagination to know how to entertain them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

I stay indoors at Songkran. This year I had planned to go to Saigon but my flights were cancelled. I had to wait 3 months for my refund then I booked a trip to Manilla and had to wait 4 months for a refund. Luckily I didn't manage to go because of the subsequently imposed covid19 restrictions. Songkran in Pattaya lasts well over 10 days and is particularly dangerous. Soi Buakoi doesn't even stop at 6pm. I was 5km away from a Songkran area when I was knocked off my motorbike and spent 5 weeks in bed. The person who knocked me off could only afford to mend my bike and offer 6,000 compensation. Now I will just stay in my condo for future Songkran festivals and order in my food.

How were you knocked off your motorbike, did someone throw a pail of water over you? If not, then what has songcran got to do with it?

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

How were you knocked off your motorbike, did someone throw a pail of water over you? If not, then what has songcran got to do with it?

It wasn't the water in the pail, it was the 5kg block of ice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Rmac442 said:

Their version of Easter ..so let it be ..

Problem really is the 'body count' from accidents that goes with it !! 

And it's just dawned on me that your 1st line is wrong as well.

Songkran is the Thai new year. You really must do a bit of study on Thai culture and traditions.

Edited by Moonlover

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

My very first Songkran (about 1998) I was riding a decrepit old banger of a motorbike quite slowly along a main road in Phrae (the outback or sticks of Thailand)

there was a lone kid and his father waiting  on the side of the road with a bucket of water..as I passed  the kid skilfully and egged on by father landed the full bucket of water right in my face knocking of my spectacles and rendering me momentarily blind ( yes I wasn't wearing a helmet bad boy bad boy )

After they had retrieved my eyeglasses I said a few choice words and continued on ,  a few  hundred meters along the road  a group of teenagers had set up a  "watering station"   and threw another whole bucket of

water onto the engine/spark plug  which killed the bike dead  they then doused me in ice cold water.

1 minute ago, johng said:

My very first Songkran (about 1998) I was riding a decrepit old banger of a motorbike quite slowly along a main road in Phrae (the outback or sticks of Thailand)

there was a lone kid and his father waiting  on the side of the road with a bucket of water..as I passed  the kid skilfully and egged on by father landed the full bucket of water right in my face knocking of my spectacles and rendering me momentarily blind ( yes I wasn't wearing a helmet bad boy bad boy )

After they had retrieved my eyeglasses I said a few choice words and continued on ,  a few  hundred meters along the road  a group of teenagers had set up a  "watering station"   and threw another whole bucket of

water onto the engine/spark plug  which killed the bike dead  they then doused me in ice cold water.

These are people who are not fit to be part of the human race.

It’s not the best of times to take more holidays due to many business closed because of Covid 19. But it’s not going change so let it be. 

Folks that work in BKK with families in NE it’s going to be pushing the limots of traffic and safety of drivers trying to reduce driving time. It’s a

good 8+ hours with no traffic.. probably 12+ with traffic which will cause fatigue if only one driver,... 

Hopefully people error more towards safety and be responsible drivers...

not trying to drive back with hangovers...