Non Imm OA to Elite

I'm in Thailand now on an OA-based extension of permission to stay.  As I understand it, if I want to convert to Elite, I need to leave the country and wait until my extension has expired and then apply for the TE visa.  Is that correct?
Also, do I need to pay for the TE by credit card or can I transfer the money from a Thai bank account?

It could be possible to convert inside the country before 26 September (but have to see case by case).

Payment can be done both way. 

If you have questions about Thai Elite processing you may PM me. 

Edited by VyacheslavKHV

OP:

You CANNOT pay with a credit card. 

DEAL ONLY WITH THAILAND ELITE DIRECTLY OR AN AUTHORIZED AGENT.

https://www.thailandelite.com/?locate=en

From my approval letter:

Payment Options

- Wire Transfer, Transfer from overseas bank account - This payment method takes 5 business days to process and to confirm the transaction.
- Transfer from local bank account - This payment method takes 2-3 business days to process and to confirm the transaction.
- Deposit the amount into Thailand Privilege Card bank account as stated in the Approval Letter - This payment method takes only 1 business day to process and to confirm the transaction.
- Online Payment* Please visit the link at www.thailandelite.com/payment/transfer

Edited by Kelsall

Believe it or not, I paid for both of my memberships by cash deposit directly into their bank account.

I visit my bank branch rarely, like once every few years, if that.

When I went to do the first transfer in 2014 they said it needs to be done before about 4pm (I think), so I just withdrew the 500k cash and walked to the other bank about 20 meters away to make the deposit.

I went earlier in the day in 2019 when paying for my second membership, it was about 3pm but they said something very similar, only this time it was an earlier cut off so I just did the cash withdrawal / deposit method again.

I'm not going to the bank twice for a single payment. <deleted> that!

I’m also going from an OA visa to the elite visa.  You do not need to leave the country, however you do need to go to your immigration office a week or less before you want to get the elite visa sticker affixed at Chaengwattana, to get your OA extension cancelled and you pay 1900 to get the 7 day permission denied extension.  During those 7 days you get the elite visa sticker sorted.  This info comes directly from Thailand Elite. 

• Thanks 1

do not pay anything before you are approved (background check) that takes about a month

you realize ELITE visa does not give you permission to enter the country easy, once you left, right ...

and you still will need 14 days of quarantine + 100k usD insurance

Edited by Bender Rodriguez

I’m on an OA extension expiring next month, my intention is to get the cheapest mandatory insurance (6,000 baht ) required to extend.

For posters who have already replied, what  is the deciding factor in going for the Elite Visa ?

Note: not judging or wanting to start negativity in this thread, just a genuine question .

OP  here.
Thanks for the info.  I was mostly interested if I really need to leave the country and have my current OA-based extension expire before I can apply for TE.  Happy to know I can do it in-country.
I will deal with TE directly, not an agent.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I’m on an OA extension expiring next month, my intention is to get the cheapest mandatory insurance (6,000 baht ) required to extend.

For posters who have already replied, what  is the deciding factor in going for the Elite Visa ?

Note: not judging or wanting to start negativity in this thread, just a genuine question .

"For posters who have already replied, what is the deciding factor in going for the Elite Visa?"

They probably don't meet requirements for extending their current extensions. Paying 5x1900 baht for 5 years instead of 500,000 for same period, is imo the smartest thing to do. No long stayer needs the Elite Visa. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 9:44 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well, I haven't replied to this thread, but I'd say the deciding factor(s) are: You're under age 50, not married to a Thai, and have plenty of spare cash. A further incentive is, if you travel a lot (pre corvid, anyway), you get a continuous bank of one-year permissions of stay, without ever needing to visit Immigration. Plus, maybe the golf and chauffeur bennies are attractive.

But, in your situation, you're obviously over 50 ('cause you have an OA visa), and you've noted that you can get the required insurance for only 6000 baht to extend that OA entry. Do you travel a lot? (Moot question, for the forseeable future.) If not, you will be in the same line annually at Immigration as the OA extension renewers. Sorry, even Elite types have to make a personal appearance -- for the photo, I suppose. Even 90 day reports. (Yes, the Elite mafia eases this, but so too an agent like mine, that costs me only 3500 baht for all my annual requirements.)

So, what have you gained? In person annual renewal with Elite is same as OA renewal -- 1900. (Ok, Elite saves you 3800 baht on multi re entry permit.)

Ok, let's do the math:

OA: 6000 for TGIA medical insurance; 1900 for extension; 3800 reentry; 3500 for agent to hold your hand (similar to Elite's hand holding). Total: 15,200

Elite: 100,000 per year (for 5 year Elite visa) -- and if you're lucky, only 100,000 per year for every subsequent five year Elite renewal -- good luck.

I'll let you note the difference in prices....

Anyway, if you're under 50, travel a lot, play a lot of golf, hate to hale a cab at the airport, don't wish to be bothered with visiting Immigration, and you're well to do - the Elite may be your huckleberry (but not in these corvid circumstances).

Otherwise, extending your OA, even with a 6000bt medical insurance policy, is a no brainer.

(And forget opportunity cost of money in a Thai bank -- at today's interest rates, there ain't no opportunity cost).

• Like 2

On 8/18/2020 at 10:02 AM, JTXR said:

OP  here.
Thanks for the info.  I was mostly interested if I really need to leave the country and have my current OA-based extension expire before I can apply for TE.  Happy to know I can do it in-country.
I will deal with TE directly, not an agent.

If you are outside Thailand, there is no need to wait for any existing visa or reentry permit to expire before returning for a Thailand Elite visa. Of course, at the current time, returning is still tricky, not least as the process for returning as a Thailand Elite member have not yet been clarified.

50 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Well, I haven't replied to this thread, but I'd say the deciding factor(s) are: You're under age 50, not married to a Thai, and have plenty of spare cash. A further incentive is, if you travel a lot (pre corvid, anyway), you get a continuous bank of one-year permissions of stay, without ever needing to visit Immigration. Plus, maybe the golf and chauffeur bennies are attractive.

But, in your situation, you're obviously over 50 ('cause you have an OA visa), and you've noted that you can get the required insurance for only 6000 baht to extend that OA entry. Do you travel a lot? (Moot question, for the forseeable future.) If not, you will be in the same line annually at Immigration as the OA extension renewers. Sorry, even Elite types have to make a personal appearance -- for the photo, I suppose. Even 90 day reports. (Yes, the Elite mafia eases this, but so too an agent like mine, that costs me only 3500 baht for all my annual requirements.)

So, what have you gained? In person annual renewal with Elite is same as OA renewal -- 1900. (Ok, Elite saves you 3800 baht on multi re entry permit.)

Ok, let's do the math:

OA: 6000 for TGIA medical insurance; 1900 for extension; 3800 reentry; 3500 for agent to hold your hand (similar to Elite's hand holding). Total: 15,200

Elite: 100,000 per year (for 5 year Elite visa) -- and if you're lucky, only 100,000 per year for every subsequent five year Elite renewal -- good luck.

I'll let you note the difference in prices....

Anyway, if you're under 50, travel a lot, play a lot of golf, hate to hale a cab at the airport, don't wish to be bothered with visiting Immigration, and you're well to do - the Elite may be your huckleberry (but not in these corvid circumstances).

Otherwise, extending your OA, even with a 6000bt medical insurance policy, is a no brainer.

(And forget opportunity cost of money in a Thai bank -- at today's interest rates, there ain't no opportunity cost).

Thanks Jim, in my case 6000 + 1900 + 200 ( bank letters ) + 2000 ( re-entry twice a year ) no agent fee  = 10,010 baht.

So in my position certainly makes sense to stay OA ( until i can go O )and was just wondering what would entice people to go Elite.

Seems like under age 50 ( which doesn’t apply in my case ) would be the deciding factor.

33 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seems like under age 50 ( which doesn’t apply in my case ) would be the deciding factor.

That definitely seems to be the case, everyone I've met who has one of these is under 50.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is one other possible motivating factor, that applies even to those over 50. Once you have a Thailand Elite membership, the conditions for needing to stay are very unlikely to change. Those doing extensions year by year are at the mercy of sudden changes in immigration rules. Recent examples are no longer being able to use income letters (meaning those with payments to make overseas as well as in Thailand, need much more than 65,000 baht per month, and need to be very careful to transfer enough money into a Thai bank account every month) and approved Thai health insurance for those with O-A visas/entries based on them. For those with spare cash, this provides peace of mind that some will believe worthwhile.

Are there any financial requirements (800k/400k) with the Elite ?

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks Jim, in my case 6000 + 1900 + 200 ( bank letters ) + 2000 ( re-entry twice a year ) no agent fee  = 10,010 baht.

So in my position certainly makes sense to stay OA ( until i can go O )and was just wondering what would entice people to go Elite.

I went to the 20 year Elite at age 68.  My reasons were it would most likely cover me here the rest of my life; I would never have to deal with Immigration again--annual extensions, when needed, are easy and can be done at the authorized agent's office; TE has a good track record of honoring their past promises; I had 800k tied up with major restrictions anyway; and no more FBAR reporting (US Govt requirement for aggregrate foreign account balance > 10k USD).  I have to admit I don't know anyone else who has done the same thing I did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

I would never have to deal with Immigration again--annual extensions, when needed, are easy and can be done at the authorized agent's office;

So, if you don't travel (and therefore not getting stamped into the country with one year permissions of stay), and thus needing to pay 1900 for a one year extension (yes, even with the Elite Visa), you're saying you don't actually need to visit Immigration for this? Not quite worth 100k/per year -- but anything to stay away from Immigration definitely has some value...

9 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

and no more FBAR reporting (US Govt requirement for aggregrate foreign account balance > 10k USD). 

Another element (FBAR reporting is a five minute finger excercise) that doesn't quite bring the Elite's 100k/year charge up to snuff.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

So, if you don't travel (and therefore not getting stamped into the country with one year permissions of stay), and thus needing to pay 1900 for a one year extension (yes, even with the Elite Visa), you're saying you don't actually need to visit Immigration for this? Not quite worth 100k/per year -- but anything to stay away from Immigration definitely has some value...

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Another element (FBAR reporting is a five minute finger excercise) that doesn't quite bring the Elite's 100k/year charge up to snuff.

For me it was 1M THB for 20 years or 50k/year.  Not trying to convince anyone else.  Others can do whatever they want. 

BTW, I just received an email from TE saying TE members will now be allowed to enter Thailand (with quarantine and all the other stuff WP holders, spouses etc have to do).  The program is called the Thailand Elite Members Quarantine (TEMQ) Program.
So that is a bonus should the unthinkable happen and I leave Thailand, at least I could get back.  Of course I did not know of any of this when I applied.

Edited by Kelsall
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 3:22 PM, Kelsall said:

OP:

You CANNOT pay with a credit card. 

DEAL ONLY WITH THAILAND ELITE DIRECTLY OR AN AUTHORIZED AGENT.

https://www.thailandelite.com/?locate=en

From my approval letter:

Payment Options

- Wire Transfer, Transfer from overseas bank account - This payment method takes 5 business days to process and to confirm the transaction.
- Transfer from local bank account - This payment method takes 2-3 business days to process and to confirm the transaction.
- Deposit the amount into Thailand Privilege Card bank account as stated in the Approval Letter - This payment method takes only 1 business day to process and to confirm the transaction.
- Online Payment* Please visit the link at www.thailandelite.com/payment/transfer

That's incorrect. You can pay with credit credit card (VISA/MASTER) either online or at their branch.

I didn't want to chance any online errors and went directly to the office, in part because I had to use two credit cards since the max limit on one card is US$12,000.

Maybe your experience was different because you applied several years ago but it's been this way since at least 2019 and CC payment is still accepted.

Don't deal with agents unless they're from TE itself.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Am I right in saying that with the 5 year Elite you can get almost 6 years if you do an entry just before it expires ( a la OA ) ?

or is that the OX ?

Right now if you pay until the end of SEP you get 6 month extra on your membership so at some point like when changing the passport or at your choosing a new visa with +6 months as the max they can issue is 5 years.

Ans then yes, if you enter again short before expiry you'd get another 1 year entry stamp that you (as per some reports) could re-use with a re-entry permit.

8 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

That's incorrect. You can pay with credit credit card (VISA/MASTER) either online or at their branch.

I didn't want to chance any online errors and went directly to the office, in part because I had to use two credit cards since the max limit on one card is US$12,000.

Maybe your experience was different because you applied several years ago but it's been this way since at least 2019 and CC payment is still accepted.

Don't deal with agents unless they're from TE itself.

I applied in Jan 2020 and was accepted in Feb.  Looks like TE needs to update their standard approval letter.

The list of authorized agents is on the TE website.

Edited by Kelsall

18 hours ago, Kelsall said:

I went to the 20 year Elite at age 68.  My reasons were it would most likely cover me here the rest of my life; I would never have to deal with Immigration again--annual extensions, when needed, are easy and can be done at the authorized agent's office; TE has a good track record of honoring their past promises; I had 800k tied up with major restrictions anyway; and no more FBAR reporting (US Govt requirement for aggregrate foreign account balance > 10k USD).  I have to admit I don't know anyone else who has done the same thing I did.

I'll be settling in Thailand in the next 12-18 months. I've certainly been thinking about the 20 year Elite myself, although I'm younger and that might not take me to the end of my days !  I could do a more conventional Visa initially and then change, as you have done but I'm sure my wife will complain about the money "lost".

My wife and I have 20 year TE Visas. We are both under 50 but even if we weren't I'd still strongly consider it. Number one reason is lack of immigration hassle and stress. So far the visa has lived up to this promise for us.

7 hours ago, Kelsall said:

I applied in Jan 2020 and was accepted in Feb.  Looks like TE needs to update their standard approval letter.

The list of authorized agents is on the TE website.

I think despite the website specifically offering it they don't try to to draw too much attention to the fact that you can pay by credit card because it costs them the processing fee of ~ 2% which is substantial considering the sums involved (500k-2M).

Thailand Elite is also notorious for lets say ambiguous correspondence. A lot of the emails and letters are vague and not to the point.