Prayut’s new economic panel targets 1m jobs, tourism boost

Jonathan Fairfield

Prayut’s new economic panel targets 1m jobs, tourism boost

n1.jpeg

The new committee tasked with steering the economy through the virus crisis got off to a fast start on Wednesday, announcing measures to boost tourism and create 1 million jobs.

Set up following the Cabinet reshuffle earlier this month, the panel’s first meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and attended by economics ministers and experts. 

They agreed to increase subsidies for local tourists and make jobs available for 400,000 new graduates, said Deputy Prime Minister and Energy Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow, after Wednesday’s meeting.

The government plans to boost local tourism by expanding its 40 per cent subsidy for accommodation costs from five to 10 nights. The government launched the tourism subsidies in mid-July, but so far only 660,000 of the available 5 million subsidised nights have been booked. Travellers will also see their Bt1,000 discount on air tickets boosted to Bt2,000, he said. Meanwhile large corporates will be invited to make use of the subsidies by organising seminar or training in other parts of the country. The measures will be submitted to the Cabinet for approval on August 25.

The Labour Ministry will also propose measures aimed at creating 1 million jobs in the near future to combat growing unemployment. The government has prioritised finding another 400,000 jobs for graduates by funding companies to hire and retain workers, he said. The jobs will be available at private companies and government agencies, he said. 

The government will also launch other job creating projects funded by the Bt400-billion economic stimulus package.

The unemployment rate in the second quarter rose 1.95 per cent to 745,000 people, according to the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC). The NESDC is also worried about significant further job losses as 1.7 million workers are currently furloughed. The state think-tank forecast the economy will shrink 7.5 per cent this year following a plunge of 12.2 per cent in the second quarter.

Supattanapong said the government aims to shore up the economy and keep the contraction lower than projected.

Meanwhile, Bank of Thailand governor Veerathai Santiprabhob said more small and medium-sized enterprises will apply for loans under the Bt500-billion soft loans scheme.

Launched by the central bank in April, the scheme has attracted fewer than expected borrowers due to strict loan conditions. The government on Tuesday relaxed the conditions by tasking the state run-Thai Credit Guarantee Corporation to guarantee loans, which will encourage commercial banks to lend more.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30393218

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-20

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The new committee tasked with steering the economy through the virus crisis got off to a fast start on Wednesday, announcing measures to boost tourism and create 1 million jobs.

The meeting may have got off to a fast start, but I can see all the plans coming to a screeching halt in the near future, or we will simply never hear of it again.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

The government launched the tourism subsidies in mid-July, but so far only 660,000 of the available 5 million subsidised nights have been booked.

I think that says it all. People are trying to get food on the table, holidays are the last thing on their mind.

Also, you can get better deals through Agoda. Just booking a deluxe pool view room in Patong for Saturday night in Patong for 257 baht . If I use my 200 baht credit that's costing me 57 baht .... Bargains to be had.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Also, you can get better deals through Agoda. Just booking a deluxe pool view room in Patong for Saturday night in Patong for 257 baht . If I use my 200 baht credit that's costing me 57 baht .... Bargains to be had.

‘57 baht’

i costs more than that to park a car overnight in Patong????

• Haha 1

Give some jobs to people to enforce laws and apprehend people who don’t abide by the laws . Get some to open public pathways that are stolen by traders and remove all obstacles in the pavements , make pavements child friendly 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, just how much holiday do Thais get - I mean to make this work substantially they will have to start declaring mass new public holidays.

Many have a lot of time for travelling now, as they are jobless ????

Edited by Flying Saucage

I had a quick dash down to Bangkok to get something I need and at 4 in the arvo about 3 girlie on the street a lot of clubs and bars shut.  I left the hotel at 7 to get dinner and the situation had hardly improved!  Walked back at quarter to 8 and still bleak!  I thought there will be somewhere to get a coffee in the morning...come 5:30am walking past darker shops I saw one drunk Thai girl with a farang and then one farang with a couple of girls having a brew at the sidewalk bar.  Weird times don't you think?   Ps: I finally got a coffee at the Morchit mini bus station...2 mouthfuls in a tinny cup for 45 baht!  Ripoff! ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

Yes, just like the rest of the world is doing - maybe they are copying Thailand 

Nope. I can only speak for the UK. My wife went out to a restaurant with friends last night, had to book their table and the place was really busy infact so busy while they were there waiters 3 times dropped dishes as so rushed and were ushered from their table as soon as the last spoon went on the plate. Tables were turning around fast. So not quite the picture the media is portraying. But hay maybe we live in one of those Thai style bubbles in the C19 free country of Thailand. 

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, just how much holiday do Thais get - I mean to make this work substantially they will have to start declaring mass new public holidays.

Too many. It's been one a month lately. And still more to come. But yes after the lock down ended there were 100's of Thais traveling to where I live. Now it's just a few every weekend