Road carnage: why things can't improve

Brunolem

It's a good thing.  The less control the government has the better.  It's better to practice caution than have power that could be abused.

Edited by TLeaf

10 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Problem is idiots. 

Yes,both in government and road users.

You are saying slow down cars to 20km/h

This will not work either,going 120 kmh in a village will still kill a lot of people.

You say 80% of the deaths are on motorbike,again what good will it do to slow cars down?

It is not the rich,it is not the poor.

I will tell you what it is and it is not a secret because i have said it many times before!!

MAI PEN RAI,this attitude has to change across the board.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Lot of member cry “thailand the most road death” 

is not true.

Link 

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/023F3DD6-32F3-4C98-93CB-BF1699391499.thumb.png.6ea02095a4f6ac49b485539a2d8bc895.png558D3EDC-2E8A-4B94-92D4-F890583FEC2E.thumb.png.558e49422ba73e198679396a8a9cbcac.png

Not saying your wrong , however if you delve into the stats you offer Saudi Arabia shows more per 100,000 than Thailand for women drivers. I know that women with chaperone may now drive in teh magic kingdom but so few do it brings the relaibility of the source into question.

While not top of the flops at No 4 Thailand is one of the worst according to WIKI

You can check column 3 where Monaco is zero and Thailand close to very poor African states where general level of roads and vehicle lower tha here where most paved roads and signs are not bad compared to Oz, Ireland or Portugal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Country/region Continent Road fatalities
per 100,000
inhabitants
per year[5][2]
Road fatalities
per 100,000
motor vehicles[5][2]
Road fatalities
per 1 billion
vehicle-km[6]
Total fatalities
latest year
(adjusted/estimated
figures by WHO report)
[5][2]
Year, data source
(standard source:
The WHO report 2015,[3]
data from 2013
The WHO report 2018,[2]
data from 2016
)
23px-Flag_of_Liberia.svg.png Liberia Africa 35.9     1,657 2016
20px-Flag_of_the_Democratic_Republic_of_ Democratic Republic of the Congo Africa 33.7     26,529 2016
23px-Flag_of_the_Central_African_Republi Central African Republic Africa 33.6 4484.4   1,546 2016
23px-Flag_of_Tanzania.svg.png Tanzania Africa 32.9 1073.7   16,211 2013
23px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png Thailand Asia 32.7

Edited by RubbaJohnny
Add link to source

23 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Problem is idiots. 

Speeding is number one problem.

K. Yinn, I agree 100% with your first statement, the second statement is debatable, the number one problem is:

24 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Thailand have motorbike a lot.

80% death is motorbike. 

Of the 80% death rate for motorcycles, at least 80% of those were due to no helmet.

Vietnam has FAR more motorcycles on the roads than Thailand, every single person wears a helmet.

The only way to reduce the number of accidents and deaths is an attitude change, both by the Government and by the road users, so road safety training starting at an early age, major campaigns, police enforcement of the rules, changing the design of the roads with safety in mind (junctions, u-turns, road furniture etc. etc.)

There seems to be a perception problem here, I see it daily, for example, (one of your favourite subjects) my next door neighbours will not come out of the door of their house in to their garden without wearing a mask, as they perceive the risk of Covid as a threat that can harm them and yet several times a day jump on their motorbike masked up but without a helmet on, I can guarantee that the risk of harm is over a 100,000 times greater with no helmet, but they have been told that the mask is important............ very strange IMO.

One of the other issues here that contributes greatly is the pure selfishness of the people on the roads, most drive or raide like htey are the only person on the road, few look in their mirrors, the lack of spacial awareness is appalling.

You are very correct to say every country has road deaths, however, the developed world recognises that and actively tries to reduce the number of vehicle incidents, there seems to be a lack of the will to do this in Thailand.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Yinn said:

is not true.

Depends on how the others count, Thailand only counts those that are declared dead at the scene, actual deaths are 3 fold.

Oh and Thailand is amongst the elite in the list you posted.................... ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Last week in Rayong/Ban Chang?

Good here innit.

I should have added I was teetotal at that time (70's) and did not drink alcohol till an ill fated holiday in Italy mid 80's.

Am proud to say I have never driven under the influence of alcohol, and here is the last place on earth I would do that ????. Scary enough sober!

9 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

But either way I prefer the Thai system.

So do I, long may it go on, too many people here from nanny states and health and safety supporters.

If the OP did the same as the uncle by mistake whatever he would welcome the law inforcement outcome. 

45 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

So do I, long may it go on, too many people here from nanny states and health and safety supporters.

If the OP did the same as the uncle by mistake whatever he would welcome the law inforcement outcome. 

One can't hardly ride without helmet, insurance, licence, and drunk...by mistake!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

is not true.

Those numbers do not match the WHO or Wikipedia sites for road deaths per 100k head of population. The WHO tables THAILAND in the top of the league only beaten by basket-case states like Congo, CAF, Tanzania and Liberia. Wikipedia lists Thailand as 5th worst road death rate on the planet with 32.7 road deaths per 100k population. Thailand's road death rate is 10 times that of the UK or Japan. Nothing to boast about.

Reference:

https://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.A997

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yeah good idea , but waste of money! I think every Thai have seen own eyes what happen in traffic! Unfortunately!

Who say it is a waste of money? from my memory it worked pretty well in my home country and other countries who took same actions, as the roads became bigger, cars became faster etc. It was a necessary reaction.

TV stations makes ok money so why not put in 2-3 warning videos every night - for a greater future? Only when the government ask them to do so, so I dont think it is so much about money or waste of money. It is more about starting to do something instead of just giving up and saying "This Is Thailand" cannot change.

In my young days I had to pass:

- Kindergarten, walking exam. To be allowed to walk alone or with friends on the street.

- School, bicycle exam. To be allowed to ride a bicycle.

- 16 year old, scooter exam (up to 50 ccm)

- 18 year old, car and big bike (motorbike) exam and both were mandatory minimum 18 hours of theory and training.

Each step with a bit of discipline, made me look forward to the next step and entering adulthood.

Something completely missing in Thailand as Children can drive a motorbike which can go 120-130kmh as soon as they can reach the ground.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

I disagree with the sentiment of your post. The very fact that no one was hurt means it should be treated differently, and I have no problem with how the matter was resolved.  The Uncle is not a mass murdering psycho - which is the  approach you are advocating Thailand adopt - as we do in Aust. If anyone was hurt or he was driving a truck that is different, and that is what your 'system' advocates. I like the 'flexibility' of the Thai system whereby the person who has been infringed against has a say in what happens. The Uncle has lost his bike and paid a small fine and apologised - no harm to others, no foul. But if he was driving a truck and had hurt/killed someone, he would not be able to get away so lightly at all. Well - I would like to think so.  But either way I prefer the Thai system.

Wow, Do you have serious mental issues? <deleted> 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 1:52 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

He probably also had to pay the other driver to get his pickup fixed.

What is the point of going through the whole court and punishment saga when most can't afford it. Does anyone want to see the jails full of thousands that can't pay fines? What would that accomplish?

The reason, IMO, for the accident rate is not because of the police, but a far more fundamental psychological reason, which would not be appropriate on TVF.

Why else would a m'bike driver on a m'bike with 3 children just ride out onto a main road with vehicles going over 90kph without looking to see if anyone was coming? I saw that all the time driving to the wife's village.

Yes exactly that.Everybody who can't pay his fine for drunk driving or driving without valid DL etc. should sit in prison.After a few months and a few thousand new prison inmates things will change to the better

• Like 1

On August 22, 2020 at 6:52 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

He probably also had to pay the other driver to get his pickup fixed.

What is the point of going through the whole court and punishment saga when most can't afford it. Does anyone want to see the jails full of thousands that can't pay fines? What would that accomplish?

The reason, IMO, for the accident rate is not because of the police, but a far more fundamental psychological reason, which would not be appropriate on TVF.

Why else would a m'bike driver on a m'bike with 3 children just ride out onto a main road with vehicles going over 90kph without looking to see if anyone was coming? I saw that all the time driving to the wife's village.

Road traffic offenders need to be seriously punished and reminded that the legal system, or me, doesnt care if you cannot afford to pay your dues. Reminded also that if you dont offend, it costs nothing!

Edited by ChrisKC
  • Like 1

I've been reading Machiavelli's Discourses on Livy, and a theme he keeps returning to is his belief that men do almost nothing of good, be it providing for the common good and defense, innovating, solving problems, refraining from abusing their neighbors, obeying the laws, planning for the future-almost nothing-except from necessity. So, don't enforce the laws, this is what you get.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 6:33 AM, ezzra said:

A blaze and disregard to the law, people see road rules as a type of government control and not to safeguard their lives and wellbeing, and as such, people will always try to circumvent and disobey what was put in place to protect them hence the huge fatalities numbers that we read about again and again...

You got that spot on. 

On 8/22/2020 at 11:55 AM, Yinn said:

is not true.

Link 

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/023F3DD6-32F3-4C98-93CB-BF1699391499.thumb.png.6ea02095a4f6ac49b485539a2d8bc895.png558D3EDC-2E8A-4B94-92D4-F890583FEC2E.thumb.png.558e49422ba73e198679396a8a9cbcac.png

as usual complete nonsense from you this got nothing to do

with actual road deaths

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 9:30 AM, bwpage3 said:

Simple answer?

Every single Thai driver, believes the rules of the road does not apply to them; only the other drivers.

And if you say that I am wrong we can have a fist/knife/gun fight to settle the score because we always lose our tempers when accused. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 6:10 AM, Brunolem said:
The uncle was condemned to pay a grand total of...drumroll...900 baht!!!
You read that correctly...less than 30 dollars!
In such conditions, why would Thai people bother to drive or ride sober, and to get a licence?
Once again, you harvest what you sow...

Another good answer on the license survey. DUI and other infractions are not punished sufficiently.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 9:07 AM, thailandroadblock said:

what was the death toll in your country 40 years ago ?

Nowhere near Thailand's but the UK did have bad fatalities in the 30's until they introduced a PROPER DRIVING TEST which was brought in in 1935, then deaths on the roads plummeted. Here the driving test is not a driving on the roads test but 3 moves off road, and a film that they take no notice of as well as a few other pointless tests. Simple to resolve, but too difficult here it seems.

• Like 1

Said deal was easily reached since the victim's insurer had already agreed to pay for the damage done to the pick up.

2. No insurance

Maybe you can clarify?

On 8/22/2020 at 8:02 AM, Hamus Yaigh said:

Is this a wind up?

The drunk Uncle smashed up someone else's pickup and said pickup owners own insurance has to pay for repairs, possibly affecting forward premiums, whilst the pickup driver is without a car for a while.

There is no dispute the Thai system is a bit of a mess but it is not the only country where the police turn their back on RTAs without injury.

Once I had garage loan car while mine was being serviced and someone reversed into me in a shopping mall car park. A policeman witnessed the accident and all he asked was if anyone was injured, never checked anything and before i knew it he had disappeared.

Fortunately I got my car back before they found out the other driver had given a false name and address. Police said nothing they could do, apparently it was a shared vehicle and they couldn't establish who had been driving. The garage came after me for £500 excess on the insurance, I refused to pay and as luck would have it they went bust.

Wouldn't have been a problem if the police had done their job at the scene.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe you can clarify?

The victim is insured for his pick up.

The uncle is not insured for his bike.

The victim's insurer is going to pay for fixing the pick up, then forward the bill to the uncle.

We'll see how they settle...

• Like 1