Road carnage: why things can't improve

Brunolem

Well..the situation cannot possibly change whilst the Thai populace continues to insist that it should be able to exist in this state of happy (but murderous) anarchy for all time."Uncle" will probably do it again next week.

I once watched a truck load of dead drunk wedding party revellers (0800 hrs) slide of an embankment and into a klong..what a larf..what a party!☹️

Sanook,sanook..sabai,sabai!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, quake said:

It just shows the typical selfish nature of Thai people in regards

to road use. 150 years more to go, before change. :coffee1:

Maybe Buddha can pop back and inform them of the error of there ways

on a great many things,

But some how, i think he would take one look at Thailand and walk away. :jap:

not sure its just thais ? as so many falangs think it ok to do what the thai do . but back home they wear the gear. but do they think is ok not the wear the gear . i reckon here they dont wear the gear as it looks cool, and the thai ladies need to see who ....  OH LOOK AT ME I RIDE A BIG BIKE . little do they know it means i have money  lol... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, THEN said:

Things can improve/change, but it is very annoying that all/most Thais seem to believe "cannot change, this is Thailand".

If my wife is driving the car with me, we usually end up arguing traffic and the dangerous driving of others. I get annoyed, as she takes it as natural and dont believe Thailand can change.

3-4 months ago I saw a video on FB from Philippines, where a Police motorbike pulled over a slow car in the fast lane on the motorway. The driver was issued a 5.000 PHP fine.

I bet videos like that can and will change the way people drive in Thailand too.

500 THB for speeding or whatever is a joke and many people are not even paying these fines, so what is the point?

Change it to 5000 THB for speeding, slow driving in the high speed lane, overtaking on the inside, no helmet, 3+ on a motorbike etc etc.

Everybody would know within a week or two AND road accidents WILL drop dramatically.

Hit the offenders where it hurts the most - on the wallet.

I guess the death tolls and accident was horrible in my home country 40 years ago, but MAYBE that is why the government started to force-feed the country with 3-4 mins of warnings before ANY News or Children time in the evenings.

The Majority of Thais have television today and are following the news daily. Why not enforce same warning/training videos with some nasty pictures of what happens when things go wrong?

I know I might be dreaming, but the easiest way out of this issue is to give up and say "cannot change" I hate it, because it is not true. Just look how quickly the Kingdom adapted to Covid19 restrictions. 

You think Thailand has that many police cars?

30 minutes ago, thailandroadblock said:

what was the death toll in your country 40 years ago ?

Unequivocally less than here is now, not that it excuses the death toll here, you seem to suggest that it is acceptable?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

You think Thailand has that many police cars?

Nope, but I think people can learn and things can change.

If the penalties was much higher, it would only take 2-3 weeks for the people to understand if they truly have to pay the bigger fines.

And why not put some warning videos before TV news and children time? It would reach out to millions of people and slowly they would/should learn and understand. It is absolutely better with some education instead of none.

It can only get better, so I hope something will happen soon.

Easy to say "cannot change", but it is not the right answer...

• Like 1

Taking a recent comment from a world leader: it is what it is.

I do not see this changing without proper intense training starting in elementary school.

Thais follow way too closely and have no clue about things like the relation of speed with reaction time to brake, skid after braking etc.

But, I believe many accidents worldwide now are related to people on their phones.

Never will be an end to that.

Edited by bkk6060

The Government and others with influence and power do not care because they all travel by car and are rarely injured or killed on the roads. The same attitude applies to pavements, used only by poor people, while main roads are generally well maintained by repeat awards of resurfacing contracts to those who constructed them poorly in the first place.

Road design is also poor, with no studies for improvement of dangerous junctions or traffic jam pinch points to ease traffic flow and make roads safer. Lazy Government.

Footbridges/pedestrian underpasses are also rare, again because they are only used by poor people, who take their lives in their hands crossing the road.

Will always be so unless or until the poor people change the system of Government. 

Of course things can change but only if a government wants the change.

I recall in the UK there were many successful campaigns for change.

Don't Drink and Drive - Keep Britain Tidy - Anti smoking ads featuring black lungs etc

All were to-the-point, prolongued graphic TV campaigns and eventually the culture changed as heavy penalties were introduced.

I remember the days we all went out the pub Friday lunchtime and my colleagues quaffed 3 pints of (real) beer with their pie, chips and beans, then drove back to work. Things can change but needs serious government backing, and so for that you need a serious government.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

I disagree with the sentiment of your post. The very fact that no one was hurt means it should be treated differently, and I have no problem with how the matter was resolved.  The Uncle is not a mass murdering psycho - which is the  approach you are advocating Thailand adopt - as we do in Aust. If anyone was hurt or he was driving a truck that is different, and that is what your 'system' advocates. I like the 'flexibility' of the Thai system whereby the person who has been infringed against has a say in what happens. The Uncle has lost his bike and paid a small fine and apologised - no harm to others, no foul. But if he was driving a truck and had hurt/killed someone, he would not be able to get away so lightly at all. Well - I would like to think so.  But either way I prefer the Thai system.

So, what you suggest is to let the offender repeat until he finally manages to hurt someone, or worse, and then, and only then, will he face the consequences of his irresponsibility.

I think that considering the multiple offenses in this case, the uncle should have spent a few days in the police station jail cell, to sober up and to reflect on his situation.

That would be better than a huge fine that, indeed, he and plenty of others could not pay.

And getting jail time means losing face in front of the family and the village, which is the most efficient punishment in this part of the world.

Actually, 3 guys in the village have been jailed (not together) for offenses linked to alcoholism, and none of them has ever repeated his offense...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yeahbutif said:

not sure its just thais ? as so many falangs think it ok to do what the thai do . but back home they wear the gear. but do they think is ok not the wear the gear . i reckon here they dont wear the gear as it looks cool, and the thai ladies need to see who ....  OH LOOK AT ME I RIDE A BIG BIKE . little do they know it means i have money  lol... 

Its not very many is it.

i see great driving and riding by the westerners over here.

you see westerners take there foot off the gas if the green light starts to flash, what does a local do ?

you see westerners stop at pedestrian crossing, what do the locals do ?

we don't drive up the carage way the wrong way, what do the locals all do ?

we are in no way as bad as this lot, but sure there are some.

lets keep the blame where it should be, the Thais are bad people on the roads.

Ps always thought people with big bikes in Thailand have very small penises. :cheesy:

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, THEN said:

And why not put some warning videos before TV news and children time? It would reach out to millions of people and slowly they would/should learn and understand.

Yeah good idea , but waste of money! I think every Thai have seen own eyes what happen in traffic! Unfortunately!

Edited by 2 is 1

Road carnage: why things can't improve

Problem is idiots. 

Speeding is number one problem.

Most mercedes, bmw, all porche, go speed more than 240 km per hour. For what? 

On the road? Racing car ok. 

Why this companies make the car fast like that? Is dangerous. Paul Walker. 

If Yinn be the boss of the world will

1) car only fast 120km

2) everyone in car necessity to wear helmet. Same racer driver. 

Is a world problem. Every country people road death. 

Thailand have motorbike a lot.

80% death is motorbike. 

31141F16-16EE-411B-A80F-AC0DAB833FC0.png

F10562D9-3664-4F54-A5CB-93D4AB84B3AD.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Paiman said:

I think most just can,t wait for the next better life.

That's the key , Reincarnation, I too look forward to returning as a can of milk on ultimate alien extension.

Seriously I'd say the roads here are worse than 20 years ago, more traffic the same mentality and flexible or zero enforcement.I used to take pics of traffic cops on bikes with no helmets until my wife convinced me a poor idea.

There is also an absence of thinking ahead, defensive driving, mirror , signal, manouevre. Our local cop shop had to saw a hole in new roof when walls built too close to a tree. The ready availability of cheap bikes, grog means I get off the roads during the happy hour when local builders famers have about 4 tugs of Lao Khao 50-70% alcohol that probably means even a wee dram small nip would put you over the limit in sane places. Most use the mirror to check hair ok.

As most deaths are motorcycles perhaps start there, serious on spot fines or impound bike, sold at public auction or scrapped if unsilenced.

Edited by RubbaJohnny