Road carnage: why things can't improve

Brunolem

On 8/22/2020 at 7:27 AM, PatOngo said:

Ho Hum! Let the carnage continue! ???? Nobody cares!

Absolutely correct. 

That is the simple fact of it. 

If the populace really cared about the carnage they would find a way. 

The Thai people are masters of improvisation. 

Value for human life cannot be mandated, it must be intrinsic. 

The Buddhist belief that all life is sacred does extend to human life. 

They care more about hitting a Soi dog than about hitting me with their vehicle. Thankfully I realized that days after coming here. 

They simply don't care. 

So things will not change. 

Forum threads like this are like worrying a loose tooth with your tongue. It's hard to stop doing but actually accomplishes nothing. 

I anger myself for reading them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 10:09 AM, Classic Ray said:

The Government and others with influence and power do not care because they all travel by car and are rarely injured or killed on the roads. The same attitude applies to pavements, used only by poor people, while main roads are generally well maintained by repeat awards of resurfacing contracts to those who constructed them poorly in the first place.

Road design is also poor, with no studies for improvement of dangerous junctions or traffic jam pinch points to ease traffic flow and make roads safer. Lazy Government.

Footbridges/pedestrian underpasses are also rare, again because they are only used by poor people, who take their lives in their hands crossing the road.

Will always be so unless or until the poor people change the system of Government. 

Well there is no way you can blame the soldiers "government" for this, when we had a real elected government, the road fatalities were still the same, so why expect military academy graduates to have the brains to do anything about it?

• Like 1

And thus there you have the problem as to why things don't get better!

The police has revolved into being judge and jury due to the lack of a real court system and resources to prosecute.

As for this particular case why insurance companies are part of the problem. They don't do the same job as the West, they have no legal resources doesn't matter who is at fault they just want to pay out and get rid of the problem. In the West, if the other party is found to be at fault is cited if they don't have insurance the other party will pay out to fix the insured vehicle and thereafter go after the guilty that doesn't happen here the offended just get away with it since there isn't a tracking penalty system.

There are guys like the Thai uncle everywhere I see it first hand living here with Thais they drink all night when the liquor runs out and daylight comes they get on their bikes or car and drive home. They all come with the same school those who have been drinking with him all night just allow him and are just as much blame. The type of acceptance has been going on for as long as there have been vehicles on the roads here and the first to do it after their shift are the police themselves.

The first step in fixing the problem is for the leaders of this country to learn how to drive correctly and how to execute the rules they brought from the West when they do they will recognized the problem but right now they can't teach or fix what they themselves haven't been taught the reason everyone at the DLT keep coming ideas that just keep the existing problem going!

The real world the police should have filed a report to the prosecution department along with the charges and given a court date to appear. Based on the report he would be fine heavily and to make restitution to the insurance company. If there was a real tracking system and enforcement in place which there isn't he would be walking for at least a year and every baht he makes would be garnished.

Next time and there will be a next time dig deeper and the poster will find out it wasn't his first or will it be his last. My saying since I don't know him " if he didn't die today he will tomorrow " that is Thailand.

Edited by thailand49

On 8/22/2020 at 10:27 AM, PatOngo said:

Ho Hum! Let the carnage continue! ???? Nobody cares!

Of course you wouldn't, not until it happens to you or a family member.

Edited by geoff65

On 8/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

He probably also had to pay the other driver to get his pickup fixed.

What is the point of going through the whole court and punishment saga when most can't afford it. Does anyone want to see the jails full of thousands that can't pay fines? What would that accomplish?

The reason, IMO, for the accident rate is not because of the police, but a far more fundamental psychological reason, which would not be appropriate on TVF.

Why else would a m'bike driver on a m'bike with 3 children just ride out onto a main road with vehicles going over 90kph without looking to see if anyone was coming? I saw that all the time driving to the wife's village.

A person should not be thrown in jail because of the inability to pay a fine.

A person should be thrown in jail if they are caught driving DRUNK.

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

The victim is insured for his pick up.

The uncle is not insured for his bike.

The victim's insurer is going to pay for fixing the pick up, then forward the bill to the uncle.

We'll see how they settle...

Ok, thanks understood, Uncle is the idiot with nothing.

Victims insurance will cover for damage to victims car & send the bill to Uncle who has pi**ed everything against the wall.

53 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

A person should not be thrown in jail because of the inability to pay a fine.

A person should be thrown in jail if they are caught driving DRUNK.

They should be thrown in jail for excessive speed, just as dangerous, but the jails could not cope with the rapid rise in population!!

There is a large number of Thais who have the unconscious desire to kill themselves. This unconscious desire came from their dissatisfaction with life.

Of course they will not admit it. Often we are not aware of our unconscious desire. They can deny it but it doesn't help, to top it up with their arrogance, selfishness and anger does it surprises you accidents happen all the time? These are not accidents, most of them are manslaughter in criminal law parlance.

Everybody is wrong when it comes to traffic accidents: the police is wrong, the driver is wrong ,the government is wrong even the court of law is wrong. The whole system is wrong. A good example, driver who killed someone when he drink & drive is free walking around town after paying a fine.

If you drive carefully obeying all the traffic rules there is a chance you may get kill because you are doing the unexpected by the other drivers.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, poloshirt said:

There is a large number of Thais who have the unconscious desire to kill themselves. This unconscious desire came from their dissatisfaction with life.

Of course they will not admit it. Often we are not aware of our unconscious desire. They can deny it but it doesn't help, to top it up with their arrogance, selfishness and anger does it surprises you accidents happen all the time? These are not accidents, most of them are manslaughter in criminal law parlance.

Everybody is wrong when it comes to traffic accidents: the police is wrong, the driver is wrong ,the government is wrong even the court of law is wrong. The whole system is wrong. A good example, driver who killed someone when he drink & drive is free walking around town after paying a fine.

If you drive carefully obeying all the traffic rules there is a chance you may get kill because you are doing the unexpected by the other drivers.

This unconscious desire... does it manifest in ThaiVisa forum members to spout outrageous rubbish ?????

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2020 at 6:57 AM, AussieBob18 said:

I disagree with the sentiment of your post. The very fact that no one was hurt means it should be treated differently, and I have no problem with how the matter was resolved.  The Uncle is not a mass murdering psycho - which is the  approach you are advocating Thailand adopt - as we do in Aust. If anyone was hurt or he was driving a truck that is different, and that is what your 'system' advocates. I like the 'flexibility' of the Thai system whereby the person who has been infringed against has a say in what happens. The Uncle has lost his bike and paid a small fine and apologised - no harm to others, no foul. But if he was driving a truck and had hurt/killed someone, he would not be able to get away so lightly at all. Well - I would like to think so.  But either way I prefer the Thai system.

Thought you

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

This unconscious desire... does it manifest in ThaiVisa forum members to spout outrageous rubbish ?????

Of course it does manifest in ThaiVisa forum, every now and then it would rear its ugly head by quite a few members of the forum.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:52 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

He probably also had to pay the other driver to get his pickup fixed.

What is the point of going through the whole court and punishment saga when most can't afford it. Does anyone want to see the jails full of thousands that can't pay fines? What would that accomplish?

The reason, IMO, for the accident rate is not because of the police, but a far more fundamental psychological reason, which would not be appropriate on TVF.

Why else would a m'bike driver on a m'bike with 3 children just ride out onto a main road with vehicles going over 90kph without looking to see if anyone was coming? I saw that all the time driving to the wife's village.

Better put in jail potential road killers than drug addicts !

Drug addicts kill only themselves !

the SORCE of the problems are the drivers  no aducation and dont care about their life or others ,,, the CURE is the police . but have to you stop it ? the local policeman stops a car for doing wrong, , the car drive always seems to now a policeman in a higher rank and they seem to get off .. as for stopping the police taking bribs for letting drivers of ,how to you stop it . as that policman is paying a bit to a policman above him and so on all the way through the ranks . so there are not scared of losing there jobs as they have protection ...  so all in how do the clean the police force up ...  

Again one has to wonder if the posters here who want change costing money do actually pay any real taxes here. Changes cost taxes. VAT doesn't really count but i suppose if one paid their tax attached to the price of a  ridiculously priced new car then fair enough.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, VocalNeal said:

Knowledge is knowing the street is one-way. Wisdom is looking in both directions anyway.

Great quote .. ???? ... Must remember that ...

The one i know about Knowledge and Wisdom is using a Tomato as an example  ... Knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad